Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2010, 01:12 PM

11 posts, read 21,802 times

Advertisements

I know this is probably covered somewhere in the computer threads but it's so time consuming to read each one that mentions a wireless router so here goes...

I just purchased a Dell Inspiron laptop for online courses. I have an old desktop that, for right now, is still in use. My internet is a modem connection through my local cable provider Suddenlink. They use an Arris modem and I also have my home phone service connected.
In order to use my laptop wire free at home I bought a Belkin N+N 300 wireless router. Installed the router software on laptop last night. Everything is showing a connection between laptop and router. No connection between router and modem thus no internet on laptop. Now, the desktop has internet connection through modem (which is what I'm connected on now). I called Suddenlink Tech, they transferred me to Belkin. Belkin walked me through the same steps 3 times with no sucess. Can anyone help?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 02:10 PM

474 posts, read 901,861 times
The wiring should work as follows:

Coaxial cable from the wall outlet or splitter goes to Cable Modem

----Ethernet cable goes from Cable Modem to Belkin router (probably labeled WAN)

--------Desktop ethernet cable goes to one of the ethernet jacks on the router

After you do this, power down all the above equipment. Wait 10 seconds. Power up the cable modem first. Then the router. Then the desktop.

From the desktop log in to the router and verify the wireless configuration is correct (as per Belkin).

Old 09-03-2010, 02:38 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,435,199 times
Cable modems must be power cycled if the router is changed out, because they remember the MAC address of the old router. Power cycle clears that address and it will discover the new device.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers