Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 01:33 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

It's weird but when I set my laptop settings before shutting down it doesn't save them for some reason. I just got a new battery four months ago. Does my Laptop have a built-in battery that saves memory?

Thanks, John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 01:50 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Which settings? Computers have a small battery on the motherboard that powers some memory which retains BIOS settings.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:02 AM

My wireless internet settings and the user account control on or off setting will not keep in memory. I'm not been able to connect to my wireless rounter because of this problem. Is there a way to check the battery on motherboard?

Thanks, John

Old 08-26-2010, 02:10 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
My wireless internet settings and the user account control on or off setting will not keep in memory. I'm not been able to connect to my wireless rounter because of this problem. Is there a way to check the battery on motherboard?

Thanks, John
That's a Windows issue and has nothing to do with the battery. Those settings are stored on the hard drive, probably registry values, not in memory.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:16 AM

Whats weird is I can connect to other wireless systems and also use passwords and it will save it but on my wireless system it will not save my password and settings for some reason.

John

Old 08-30-2010, 10:25 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Whats weird is I can connect to other wireless systems and also use passwords and it will save it but on my wireless system it will not save my password and settings for some reason.

John
I am guessing it is either controlled by the 3rd party application you are using or if it is the Windows' own feature.

If you installed a program with this Wireless hardware (card/router, etc), check the program's own settings, there should be a related option. If this is Windows own tool then perhaps Explorer is not retaining its settings or you have a utility that is cleaning Windows prefetch or cache on every startup.

Do you have something like that? Like a temp file cleaner? CCleaner or MRU-Blaster type programs have features/options that could create this outcome.

One other possibility is that you have utility that is reverting back the changes you make during a session.

The only setting that pops in my head that might have that kind of an effect could be a policy setting located at 2 common locations:

START > RUN > regedit > OK then browse to:
Quote:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer
After you click on 'Explorer' key, on the right hand side if you see something like "NoSaveSettings", that should either be deleted or have a value of 00 00 00 00. It will likely to be a DWord value since it is not a program specific control value per se. If it has a value of 00 01 00 00 that means, all changes you make within any given Windows session will not be saved. This typically refers to visual changes/customization rather then program settings but it might be the cause so worth checking. If it is not there then it is not applicable.

Also check this as a related value at this location would be affecting all users:
Quote:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\Explorer
One other possibility is either prefetching is turned off or gets dumps every reboot. To know is that is the case, you will need to answer me this:
Is this the only setting/customization that is not retaining the changes or are there any others?

Location of Windows 'prefetch' settings in the registry:

Quote:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Memory Management
Once you click on "Memory Management" on the right hand side the
"ClearPageFileAtShudown" value should be 0. "DisablePagingExecutive" should also read 0.

If all other changes you make stick, then I would lean towards a setting/option you will have to look for within the application you are using to control wireless connections.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:13 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
If it works fine on outside routers and not on yours then replace your router.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:49 AM

I do use Adware software.

My roommate has a laptop that works great on this router and but mine of course doesn't for some reason. My laptop is four years old and my roommates is brand new. She paid for the router and I cann't change it.

Thanks, John

Old 08-31-2010, 06:01 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
How old is your WiFi card? If its as old as your computer, maybe you need to change it? Which brings us back to the original premise. If your computer is holding the passwords and is functional on all other WiFi systems without issue, then its an encryption issue in relation to your older OS. If your roommate does not have an issue, then it comes down to your WiFi card that needs to be replaced.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:44 AM

Found out today that my Wii game system cann't find the wireless router either. Now what does this mean?

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A205-S5825

Router is a Netgear WGR614 Wireless G

Thanks, John
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers