Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 07:30 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougstech View Post
If his windows is patched and up to date, he is fine.
...until the next vulnerability is found...

I seriously hope that you're not being paid to provide advice this horrible. If so, you should seriously consider offering refunds and apologies to anybody whose money you've taken.

I'm shocked at the advice you've given, and the arrogance with which it's been delivered. I won't even get into the obvious lack of technical expertise that you've demonstrated. I don't know why you have 'tech' in your username, but it's clearly not because you have any useful technical knowledge.

To the OP: Don't listen to this guy. Keep your Windows firewall turned on. The only nugget of advice he's given that's worth the screen space it takes up is to use a hardware device - such as a cable/dsl router - as one line of defense. By all means, though, do NOT rely on it as your only line of defense.

Anybody that knows anything about computer/network security knows that effective security requires a layered approach. Your ISP probably does some minimal port filtering, which would be the first layer, your cable/dsl router provides the next - and hardest - layer, a software firewall (such as Windows Firewall) would provide the next layer, and finally, software development that employs responsible security practices provides the last layer. You don't have any control over the first layer or the last layer, but you can mitigate the risk by taking command of the two in the middle.

Keep your O/S up to date, your firewall turned on and the firmware in your router updated. That last little tidbit was left out by our resident genius... Router firmware is just software, and is not immune from having security issues. Keep it up to date.

As for your original question, IE probably needs to be excepted in order to run certain plugins or ActiveX controls. I don't use Malwarebytes, but it probably downloads periodic updates and whatnot - should be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 07:33 PM

422 posts, read 792,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And you are assuming the average user knows and understands this. Bad assumption.

Windows patched and up to date? I shudder to think how many laptops and PCs are out there that fall short of this dream.

Telling users that come here for sound advice to shut off their MS firewall and rely solely on their router, with no other software running, is negligent.

My advice to anyone reading this forum is ignore what this person is telling you.
Are you serious? Windows Vista and 7 are so redic easy to use, that a 5 year old can do it. Windows updates automatiocally, it asks you if you are at home, work, or public location. Easy as pie to secure. Unless you are assuming that all users are idiots and have disabled windows update and click "work" when choosing a network location.

The MS firewall is the most silly excuse for security. Any program or virus can disable or alter it. (http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/200..._firewall.html) It is completely useless. Why would anyone NOT rely solely on their router? It is a bulletproof solution.

BTW, what Microsoft or other technical certifications do you have? I'm curious because all the ones I have earned tell me this method.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
...until the next vulnerability is found...

I seriously hope that you're not being paid to provide advice this horrible. If so, you should seriously consider offering refunds and apologies to anybody whose money you've taken.

I'm shocked at the advice you've given, and the arrogance with which it's been delivered. I won't even get into the obvious lack of technical expertise that you've demonstrated. I don't know why you have 'tech' in your username, but it's clearly not because you have any useful technical knowledge.

To the OP: Don't listen to this guy. Keep your Windows firewall turned on. The only nugget of advice he's given that's worth the screen space it takes up is to use a hardware device - such as a cable/dsl router - as one line of defense. By all means, though, do NOT rely on it as your only line of defense.

Anybody that knows anything about computer/network security knows that effective security requires a layered approach. Your ISP probably does some minimal port filtering, which would be the first layer, your cable/dsl router provides the next - and hardest - layer, a software firewall (such as Windows Firewall) would provide the next layer, and finally, software development that employs responsible security practices provides the last layer. You don't have any control over the first layer or the last layer, but you can mitigate the risk by taking command of the two in the middle.

Keep your O/S up to date, your firewall turned on and the firmware in your router updated. That last little tidbit was left out by our resident genius... Router firmware is just software, and is not immune from having security issues. Keep it up to date.

As for your original question, IE probably needs to be excepted in order to run certain plugins or ActiveX controls. I don't use Malwarebytes, but it probably downloads periodic updates and whatnot - should be fine.
You too? What credentials do you have. I am a MCITP, google that "resident genious".

Old 09-13-2010, 08:07 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Considering the advice given someone wasted a whole bunch of money on certs...

And I did not recommend keeping Windows firewall. Apparently reading skills are also lacking. And I see the arrogance is still at the top of the list.

I do not assume all users are idiots. On the other hand... Wait, got off topic there. I go by experience. 25 years of experience in a large corporation and as a self-employed computer consultant. Yes, I have certifications, but experience in the field is more important, anyone with a bunch of money and access to Internet cheat sites can pass certifications.

I expect any user I work with to understand the minimum about their computer until I've spent time with them. Then I reassess.

"Why would anyone NOT rely solely on their router? It is a bulletproof solution."

Like I said a waste of time and money getting a cert that teaches (As if a cert test teaches anything) you this.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Considering the advice given someone wasted a whole bunch of money on certs...

And I did not recommend keeping Windows firewall. Apparently reading skills are also lacking. And I see the arrogance is still at the top of the list.

I do not assume all users are idiots. On the other hand... Wait, got off topic there. I go by experience. 25 years of experience in a large corporation and as a self-employed computer consultant. Yes, I have certifications, but experience in the field is more important, anyone with a bunch of money and access to Internet cheat sites can pass certifications.

I expect any user I work with to understand the minimum about their computer until I've spent time with them. Then I reassess.

"Why would anyone NOT rely solely on their router? It is a bulletproof solution."

Like I said a waste of time and money getting a cert that teaches (As if a cert test teaches anything) you this.
I would go into detail proving my point, but it doesn't seen it is much appreciated. I manage a large corporate network with 12,000+ machines. I currently have about 60 work orders (all hardware).Not a single one of those machines uses any security software, firewalls, or antivirus. I take the approach of 100% bulletproof prevention, instead of break-fix as some network admins make a living.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:41 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
You too? What credentials do you have. I am a MCITP, google that "resident genious".

Not to discredit your knowledge (as I'm sure you know more than what's on MCITP by trade), but the MCITP credentials are a joke. After getting my Cisco certifications (which are a little challenging), studying for MCP is a breeze. So you're not really saying much, given that any competant person who probably works in the field knows enough to pass MCITP just based off the whitepapers they read.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:49 PM

MCITP is constantly ranked as one of the top IT certifications. This year, it ranked as #1 by TechRepublic.

The 10 best IT certifications: 2010 | 10 Things | TechRepublic.com

Old 09-13-2010, 11:03 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Those of you who think a hardware firewall alone is sufficient must only own a single computer, and never leave home. We don't all live in trailer parks.
Well, the username seems to fit.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:04 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
MCITP is constantly ranked as one of the top IT certifications. This year, it ranked as #1 by TechRepublic.

The 10 best IT certifications: 2010 | 10 Things | TechRepublic.com
This is probably based on demand rather than difficulty. Good list though and I appreciate you posting it. I have 1,2, 5,6,9,10 on that list as well as some certs that don't appear on the list. I'm not really all that hands on anymore, but I have a rule for all my management... they have to be certified in everything that they require of their staff... which requires me to be certified in a lot of stuff I never really touch hands-on anymore.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:43 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
I would go into detail proving my point, but it doesn't seen it is much appreciated. I manage a large corporate network with 12,000+ machines. I currently have about 60 work orders (all hardware).Not a single one of those machines uses any security software, firewalls, or antivirus. I take the approach of 100% bulletproof prevention, instead of break-fix as some network admins make a living.
You are still missing the point so I will try again. After this I'm finished. You either get it or you don't.

The people that come to this forum looking for help are:

1. Not part of a 12,000+ network. (Yeah, and I own the house next to Bill Gates}

2. Home users for the most part.

3. Don't know, or want to know, the ins and outs of a router, or any more than absolutely necessary to get that #@$^!%* computer running.

3. Someone wanting to operate their computer in as simple a manner as possible. For a home user this is a router and a software firewall, AV, Ccleaner or it's ilk, and Malwarebytes on occasion.

Coming here and bragging to all these folks (and us techs) about how smart you are, how great your certs are, your supposed highfalutin position, and belittling the users for not being as smart as you just tells us not to listen to anything you have to say.

Wrong approach on these boards. On others you might pass muster. Here you fall flat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers