Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 03:06 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times

Advertisements

What was the cpu tdp on your vaio and on your acer? A lot of folks ignore tdp when buying laptops and then complain about heat and poor battery life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 03:15 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,249,400 times
I don't know what tdp is.

The Vaio model I had was known to heat up. They had to replace the motherboard twice - luckily covered by Sony - because of the overheating.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:03 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
I don't know what tdp is.
Thermal design power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All else being equal, a CPU with a lower TDP wattage will be cooler. That's not to say that they can't warm up ... the heat sink, fan, and other thermal management aspects still come into play too.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:14 PM

111 posts, read 289,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrape View Post
... After researching my problems, I was surprised to find that the radiation and heating from laptop is really bad for my health....
How do I reduce all this heat comming from the keyboard and touchpad????Should I try the HARApad???
On the HARApad website http://www.harapad.com/, there is a link to a document (http://www.harapad.com/pdf/bio-initiative_exerpt.pdf) written by Ms. Cindy Sage, Sage Associates, titled Summary For the Public, in which are outlined supposed dangers of electromagnetic radiation from many types of wireless devices.

I encourage you to consider what this site (http://www.skepdic.com/electrosensitives.html) has to say on the matter. Here's an excerpt:

"Despite the overwhelming scientific evidence against the view that our electronic gadgets are causing our headaches, nausea, Alzheimer's, or stress, there are organized movements in several countries to enlighten the world about the dangers of EMR. In the USA, there is The EMR Policy Institute. There is also something called The Bioinitiative Report, a website registered to Cindy Sage of Sage Associates, an environmental consulting firm located in Santa Barbara, California."

mrgrape, if you are concerned about heat I'd consider the pads offered here, http://www.overstock.com/Office-Supp...6/product.html. They are a bit on the small side but will lift the laptop from the table, providing ample room for air circulation, thus reducing heat.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:52 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
I got a Heatshift therma pad from Overstock.com that seems to me to work better than a fan -- and it fits into my small laptop carrying case.
Heatshift Therma Pad Search Results | Overstock.com

Old 10-28-2010, 07:57 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
You didn't mention how technical you are, I am assuming by your talk of radiation probably not very but you might find this advice useful anyway. Even though you used canned air to blow out the fan there may still be dust stuck in there. Canned air actually sometimes makes the problem worse because it pushes all the dust into one ball that might completely inhibit the fan from moving. You can do one of two things:

1. Pull your fan out completely and make sure there is no dust blocking the actual vent. This requires disassembling the laptop at least partially. Usually need to take the keyboard off or the bottom casing but it really depends on the laptop.
2. Take it to a local repair shop and ask them to do it. Make sure to tell them you want the fan removed, blown out and the vent cleaned as well. How much that costs really depends on the shop. I always do it myself so I really have no idea. If you go this route ask them to check the thermal grease on your CPU as well.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:10 PM

2,251 posts, read 4,914,131 times
How old is your Lap Top? Get a riser pad. Keep it raise to allow air underneath.

Since 1993 it seems like I go through computers every other year.

My last 3 laptops....two Hewlett Packard 17"s, and a Gateway 7". I use with two external hard drives. A 500g and a second 2t.

The first HP 5yrs old, died due to a bad daughter board. Call HP, they wanted $250 to repair it. It's sitting on my self, thinking about trashing it.

The 2nd HP 4yrs old HP, still works but gets really warm, even with a riser pad. Last year took it with me to an evening collage class. It barely fit on the desk.

Ended up buying a 7' Gateway 250g to take notes. Comes in really handy at work and school, due to it's small size.

Lucked out last week with other computer - they were trashing a 2006 Dell Desktop at work. Took it home bugged it out, found bad sectors on the hard drive. Brought a new Sata 500g hard drive, and upgraded the ram to 4g, tweaked both the registry (regedit) and my Firefox browser (about:config).

Have a fiber optic internet connection, pay an extra $10 monthly to my ISP for extra speed. On the wirelesslap tops when I downloaded music, programs etc, the best speed was 2.5k MB per second. Now down loading speeds up to 48k MB per second,.....

Old 11-04-2010, 06:20 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,114 times
I got a gadget that my wife's laptop sits on. It has fans blowing upward, to keep the puter cool, thereby increasing the age of the laptop. She has another computer in the living room, an "all in one," I think they call it. Looks very nice and it may be cooler than a laptop.

BTW, I really like the idea of a separate keyboard and mouse. I wouldn't have it any other way. You just have to change the batteries now and then.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:55 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,246 times
You can try opening up the back panels on the laptop and blowing air underneath the motherboard to clean out any potential dustbunnies that may have gotten lodged in there. The crap I blow out of some clients computers is nothing short of frightening.

Otherwise, laptops in general are going to get warm. It's the result of shoving a bunch of electronics into a tiny box, putting ONE ****-poor fan into it, and calling it good. This is why I like Desktops. 12 fans and I still ***** about cooling.

Anyway, if the heat bothers you from the keyboard, try using an external keyboard, and if you want, look up a docking station or port-replicator for your model of laptop, and turn it into a sort of desktop base-station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers