Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 08:11 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times

Advertisements

Any possible explanations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 08:21 PM

Ugh, it just did it again!

Old 07-06-2007, 08:49 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,344,552 times
How old is it? When did it start doing it? What changes have been made before you started having this problem? Do you see a blue screen with errors or is it only restarting?

On laptops, make sure the air intake (at the button, generally) should be free and open (not covered). If it is covered, air does not get in, laptop overheats and shuts off.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoWeb View Post
How old is it? When did it start doing it? What changes have been made before you started having this problem? Do you see a blue screen with errors or is it only restarting?

On laptops, make sure the air intake (at the button, generally) should be free and open (not covered). If it is covered, air does not get in, laptop overheats and shuts off.
I keep my laptop on a solid table surface, and it is about a year and a half old.Does the table provide enough ventilation? I started having the problem a couple of days ago, and I have not experienced the dreaded blue screen of death (don't XP computers not have the blue screen of death anymore?)

Old 07-06-2007, 09:07 PM

Flat surface should have enough ventilation.

What changes have been made to the PC before this happened?

XP still has BSOD, you just do not see it. This is how MS "fixed" the bad BSOD Press it had.

Right click on My Computer > Click on the Advanced tab > Click on SETTINGS under the "Startup and Recovery" section.

Under system failure, UNCHECK the "automatically restart" option.

Click on OK>Apply>OK.

Next time there is a problem, this *should* show the BSOD and provide the code/error for the crash.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:14 PM

923 posts, read 3,512,509 times
Quote:

It sounds like it is overheating, especially considering how hot it is in FL.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Flat surface should have enough ventilation.

What changes have been made to the PC before this happened?

XP still has BSOD, you just do not see it. This is how MS "fixed" the bad BSOD Press it had.

Right click on My Computer > Click on the Advanced tab > Click on SETTINGS under the "Startup and Recovery" section.

Under system failure, UNCHECK the "automatically restart" option.

Click on OK>Apply>OK.

Next time there is a problem, this *should* show the BSOD and provide the code/error for the crash.
Thank you for helping!I have made zero changes, by the way.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:19 PM

You are welcome.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:25 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
I have a Toshiba laptop and it has shut itself down, and everytime it has to do with overheating. Laying flat on a table it not good. I have the corner of a book lifting the back of mine off the table so that both circular fan areas area not covered at all. I also get a slightly damp cloth once a month and clean off the two air vents on the bottom and then use condensed air and blow out the dust in the fams after that and then no problem. Try that I bet it will work.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:11 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Brokencrayola, my Toshiba lap top used to shut down when it overheated. My husband disassembled the laptop and used "canned air" to blow out the dust. Someone told me to cover air vents with dryer sheets, the computer can still breathe but dust won't get into the computer. I keep my laptop elevated as well. This seems to be a common problem, Toshiba doesn't want to cop to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers