Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2010, 02:30 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times

Advertisements

Have a 32" Westinghouse Flat Panel tv that went black (don't use as a tv but rather a big monitor for PC). Sound is ok but after only 18 months using it for/as a PC monitor, it died. Do these have bulbs or backlights that go bad? I know nothing about Flat Panels or monitors, other than hearing backlights going bad. But only 18 months old? Got it Jan. '09 & it went this summer.

Ok, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 05:48 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
They can go bad at pretty much any time regardless of their age. The backlighting on a standard flat panel is provided by a CCFL (cold cathode fluroescant lamp), these lamps are powered using an inverter which converts the voltage available to it to 40,000+ volts. Either the CCFL(s) went bad, the inverter went bad, the internal power supply went bad, or it may have the bad capacitor problem which affects many electronic items. There is no life expectancy on electronics, they can die at any time with little to no warning, age is irrelevant.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:09 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,579,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
They can go bad at pretty much any time regardless of their age. The backlighting on a standard flat panel is provided by a CCFL (cold cathode fluroescant lamp), these lamps are powered using an inverter which converts the voltage available to it to 40,000+ volts. Either the CCFL(s) went bad, the inverter went bad, the internal power supply went bad, or it may have the bad capacitor problem which affects many electronic items. There is no life expectancy on electronics, they can die at any time with little to no warning, age is irrelevant.
You can say that again!

I did find a 3 year old 15" LCD HDTV on the curb about a month or so ago and when I took it home and tried it the power would go on and off on its own. So I opened it up to see that 4 caps were bad and all from the same "garbage" company so I ordered 4 Rubycon caps (I ordered more at the same time to repair a computer motherboard and PCIE graphics card which also came out well) and replaced them and now that TV is as good as new. Mind you that this was the very first time I ever replaced capacitors of any kind.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:08 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Have a 32" Westinghouse Flat Panel tv that went black (don't use as a tv but rather a big monitor for PC). Sound is ok but after only 18 months using it for/as a PC monitor, it died. Do these have bulbs or backlights that go bad? I know nothing about Flat Panels or monitors, other than hearing backlights going bad. But only 18 months old? Got it Jan. '09 & it went this summer.

Ok, thanks.
A suggestion, since you don't use it as a TV, why not just replace it with a 27" LCD monitor. It will give you a lot better resolution, for probably about the same amount of money. Resolution 2,560 x 1440 vs. 1,366 x 768 for your TV.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:51 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
A suggestion, since you don't use it as a TV, why not just replace it with a 27" LCD monitor. It will give you a lot better resolution, for probably about the same amount of money. Resolution 2,560 x 1440 vs. 1,366 x 768 for your TV.
Currently the TV's cost much less and most home users use it for surfing for than anything else.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:04 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Had a 32" Westinghouse Flat Panel tv that went black ... after only 18 months using ... it died.
Flat panel TV's are one of the few things I buy extended warranties on. It always turns out to be a replacement plan. Read any of the plans, they all say if not repaired within 30 days a gift card will be issued. After its replaced you buy a new warranty on the replacement. I've been through Akai, Westinghouse, Envision, Sylvania, Vizio. These 32" TV's seem to die within two years or less. I Currently have a Sony and so far so good as the second year has past (three more years on the warranty).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers