Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2010, 07:45 AM

964 posts, read 2,647,221 times

Advertisements

OK, so I ordered a wireless Linksys N router figuring it will take awhile if ever to fix my G router

//www.city-data.com/forum/compu...e-stumped.html

So it looks the G router is working again so I have two routers. Now I am thinking of using my G router as a repeater to accommodate the upstairs PCs. Meaning, My N router in the downstairs living room would have a clear line of sight to my upstairs G router and G router would be nice and close to the upstairs PCs. Currently my downstairs router has a so-so connection to the upstairs PCs.

Researching this on the net a little bit indicates I might need to change the upstairs router firmware for this special application. Other things I've read sort of indicate I just need to change settings.

Anyone done something like using a standard wireless router to serve as a repeater before? Any tips?

I found this but haven't really read through it yet;

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...eless_Repeater
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 08:39 AM

715 posts, read 1,149,042 times
I did this last year - Two routers, router 1 connected to cable modem (upstairs), with desktop, PS3 and Wii wired to it. Router 2 downstairs, for wireless and extra ports.

A friend gave me router 2, a WRT54G (similar to yours I think) which I installed downstairs. (I used Tomato instead of DD-WRT). So I connected this router 2 to the last available port on router 1. I remember having to "disable DHCP" on router 2, because it was causing connection errors if both router 1 and 2 had "enable DHCP". These errors were only on Macs and Linux laptops - did not have problems with Windows XP/Vista/7 laptops.

Obviously, you have to set-up login security on both routers, and the shared key. I used WPA-2 Personal encryption.

All this talk about routers has made me re-think about buying my own cable modem (instead of the default from the cable company), and installing gigabit routers. I know it's probably overkill for most home use, but might make a difference for online gaming?

Or do I have too much time on my hands right now?

Old 11-15-2010, 08:49 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Gigabit inside your house will make no improvement on your Internet connection speed.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
So I connected this router 2 to the last available port on router 1.
Were your two routers connected wirelessly or using a cable?

Old 11-15-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
All this talk about routers has made me re-think about buying my own cable modem (instead of the default from the cable company),
I was thinking of buying my own cable modedm too as I think I am leasing mine for $5/month from the cable company. I do have a linksys cable modem but I don't think it is the latest docsys. If I buy one, it probably pays for itself in a year or so.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:10 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,128 times
Personally, I find Tomato to be easier to work with than DD-WRT, and it'll have the repeater function. Do make sure the version of your WRT54G is compatible, however. Linksys changed chipsets and memory with the later versions.

As for the cable modem ... check craigslist or even some local thrift shops if there are any. Over the past year, I've picked up (4) FIOS modems for $5-$10, all working. It's the cheapest way to do a MOCA bridge.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:11 AM

715 posts, read 1,149,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
Were your two routers connected wirelessly or using a cable?
Wired. I ran a line from the upstairs room, up to the attic, then down through the closets, all the way down to the basement, then up to where router 2 was. Works great. I have a signal all around the house. Garage, front lawn, deck and back lawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Gigabit inside your house will make no improvement on your Internet connection speed.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant getting my own cable modem for better internet speed. But I'll have to confirm this with a friend that works at our cable company. Maybe they choke it back anyway.

The Gigabit router I was thinking of was to improve my home network (i.e. NAS, printing, music / movie streaming, etc...)

Maybe I'll wait another year or so, when there are more consumer-oriented gigabit routers. Yes, I probably have too much time on my hands ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
I was thinking of buying my own cable modedm too as I think I am leasing mine for $5/month from the cable company. I do have a linksys cable modem but I don't think it is the latest docsys. If I buy one, it probably pays for itself in a year or so.
Exactly what I was thinking. I've been paying for the cable modem for several years now, getting whatever cheap modem the cable company gave me. I've read that you can buy a better modem and just tell the cable company about it and give them MAC address or something like that. Have to research this a bit more.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:20 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
First, what you're wanting to do (supposing you're wanting to do it right) is not use a 2nd WAP as a repeater. A repeater is a signal amplifier. Meaning that it receives a signal, re-builds it, and then sends it out again. What you're wanting to do is take 2 wireless access points, configure them with the same SSID and encryption settings, and create an extended BSS wireless zone. You'll also want to configure each device to use a different frequency channel to avoid interference between access points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers