Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 02:45 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times

Advertisements

We are always reading about things we should do,without really questioning whether we need to be doing them in the first place.

http://lifehacker.com/5033518

Well several of those things listed DO IN FACT help things!

Cleaning Prefetch files IS ALWAYS A BIG HELP IF YOUR ON XP,ETC that uses Prefetch!!

And cleaning your registry is a big help also.. (The cleaner your reg is OF UN-NEEDED things,the faster response you will notice (Its like keeping your dresser drawers neat and in order))

I do agree with this on the page

"Disabling Shadow Copy/System Restore Improves Performance"

IT IS STUPID TO DISABLE THIS...YOU SHOULD ALWAYS HAVE @ LEAST 1 BACKUP IN CASE YOU NEED IT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 05:35 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Leave prefetch alone, it won't speed up a thing deleting it, will likey slow things down.

Do not run registry cleaners unless you know what your doing, it's not needed anyway.

I always love the people that read crap posted on the web and then "optimize" their own computer, then have problems, and their tweaking turns what would be a 5 minute fix into an hour or 2 of labor, gotta keep my paychecks coming

Old 12-03-2010, 07:55 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
100% agree with that article and with NHDave.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:13 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
I always have to stifle a giggle when someone tells me their PC is slow and that they tried running a registry cleaner but it didn't help. Messing with the registry is like working on the foundation of your house. You'd better know what you are doing or it may come tumbling down.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:18 PM

1,640 posts, read 1,645,239 times
So What really speed up a computer that is 5 years old ?

Old 12-03-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Calzadilla View Post
So What really speed up a computer that is 5 years old ?
Upgrading RAM, getting rid of unneeded startup items, etc

Old 12-03-2010, 04:17 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,682,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
"Disabling Shadow Copy/System Restore Improves Performance"

IT IS STUPID TO DISABLE THIS...YOU SHOULD ALWAYS HAVE @ LEAST 1 BACKUP IN CASE YOU NEED IT!
It's not stupid to disable things you don't need. Someone who isn't familiar with how to protect their information might need things to run automatically, but a lot of us don't run things like this. If you know what you're doing, you don't even have to keep a virus scanner running.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:11 PM

8,318 posts, read 13,447,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Upgrading RAM, getting rid of unneeded startup items, etc
Plus, a full Scandisk with repair feature followed by defrag could do wonders too.
Also, if the OS is that old, then a fresh install would be something I'd also suggest if it is really dragging. If the fresh install didn't help or during/post installation you run into issues, then look into replacing the hard drive itself (5 year old HD after all and I always consider each hard drive year equals 10 human years, so that drive is like a 50 year old man! ).

Old 12-03-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Plus, a full Scandisk with repair feature followed by defrag could do wonders too.
Also, if the OS is that old, then a fresh install would be something I'd also suggest if it is really dragging. If the fresh install didn't help or during/post installation you run into issues, then look into replacing the hard drive itself (5 year old HD after all and I always consider each hard drive year equals 10 human years, so that drive is like a 50 year old man! ).
All good points. Considering the average PC gets little to no maintenance, apps being installed and uninstalled, random crashes and malware infections, a wipe and reload can do wonders sometimes. Most people place a PC in the same category as a toaster or microwave, it's a tool to accomplish a task, a computer however is an ever changing dynamic thing. Installing apps and updates changes the operating system, and not always for the better, they don't understand that it's not the same as it was a couple weeks ago.

A faster hard drive helps too, some older, and not so old laptops came with 4600 RPM drives, simple swapping in a newer 7200 RPM drive can make a noticeable difference.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:28 AM

1,640 posts, read 1,645,239 times
So after reading the posts of Mercury Cougar, TurcoLoco and NHDave, I think that is much better to buy a new computer and replace the "5 years old one" instead of improving RAM and bla bla bla.
When your mother in law makes your life impossible, then get a new wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers