U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2010, 11:50 PM

8,402 posts, read 23,195,799 times

Advertisements

I'm done with inkjets. I don't use them enough to keep the cartridges working, so whenever I have a work project, I have to buy new cartridges. Usually the ink is more expensive than a new printer, so I end up buying a new printer. I've taken several to Goodwill in the last couple years.

Moving on...I'd like color but it's not necessary. I print maybe a dozen pages a month, just every day stuff, but work projects can be 100+ pages every few months. I'd like to network it among several computers in my home. Used or refurb is fine. Don't want to spend a bunch of money if I can avoid it. I don't need huge print capacity, extreme speed, or photo quality. Just shopping lists, recipes, Google maps, emails, postage, etc. The work stuff is for field work, and no one but me sees it, so the quality there isn't critical either. A $40 inkjet does everything I need, except for costing me $40 for ink!

Suggestions? A buddy has several Dells, and I see them and HP on CL, used.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 12:43 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,637,877 times
For new printers, Brother lasers tend to have lower operating costs. That said, their cheapest models will still end up costing more to use because of their small toner cartridges. However, with your low usage, such isn't as big of a factor as compared to say an office. So keep an eye out for a sale and just pick up one of their sub-$80 printers.

If you go used ... HP, provided the price of a replacement cartridge is reasonably priced. These days, it's not just inkjets which are priced to be disposable because of consumable costs, but laser printers too.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:48 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,400,688 times
I want to delve more into your claim that you don't use inkjets enough to where you can keep using the cartridges. You state you print a dozen pages a month on average, with the occasional heavy load print job. That's MORE than sufficient to prevent a decent inkjet from having its cartridges dry out. Are you certain that's the issue you're encountering, and you aren't simply forgetting to clean your print heads when you run a job after not doing so for a while?

I travel quite a bit, and there are times where I go MONTHS without printing a single sheet, and my cartridges operate just fine when I get back.

I also present an alternative to laser for you to consider: solid ink printers. They use wax blocks of differing colors, and they simply melt the wax as needed for printing. They're absolutely brilliant. They cost around 3 cents per page for color, whereas laser comes in at somewhere between 4 and 5. Inkjets cost around a quarter, on average.

There are also thermal wax printers, but those are mostly for business use.

I only bring up laser alternatives because laser printers tend to be more complicated, can spill, create more waste, and have a slightly higher cost per page vs. solid ink and wax.

Also keep in mind that since you use the printer for business use, you can write off the expense on your taxes.

Last edited by Xanathos; 12-14-2010 at 12:57 AM..

Old 12-14-2010, 01:19 AM

Brother HL-2140 - 23ppm, $75, free shipping.

Brother HL-2140 Compact Personal Laser Printer HL-2140 B&H Photo

There's a trick to tape the toner sensor to get more life out of the cartridges too. When you do run out, OEM TN-360 cartridges are $45/2600 pages. Third-party cartridges can be had for $20-$25.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:27 AM

24,497 posts, read 39,696,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I want to delve more into your claim that you don't use inkjets enough to where you can keep using the cartridges. You state you print a dozen pages a month on average, with the occasional heavy load print job. That's MORE than sufficient to prevent a decent inkjet from having its cartridges dry out.
I agree with this. If you print atleast 1 page/month, ink cartridges should not dry out.

As with any printer, the more expensive printers will generally have lower consumable costs. For cheaper laser printers, Brother and Samsung tend to have lower operating costs compared to cheaper HP and Dell printers. Go to the midlevel and higher, this changes though. I swear by HP and Xerox/Tektronix (wax).

Old 12-14-2010, 07:32 AM

26,342 posts, read 90,550,931 times
Print at work using the boss's printers.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:20 AM

8,402 posts, read 23,195,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I want to delve more into your claim that you don't use inkjets enough to where you can keep using the cartridges. You state you print a dozen pages a month on average, with the occasional heavy load print job. That's MORE than sufficient to prevent a decent inkjet from having its cartridges dry out. Are you certain that's the issue you're encountering, and you aren't simply forgetting to clean your print heads when you run a job after not doing so for a while?

I travel quite a bit, and there are times where I go MONTHS without printing a single sheet, and my cartridges operate just fine when I get back.

I also present an alternative to laser for you to consider: solid ink printers. They use wax blocks of differing colors, and they simply melt the wax as needed for printing. They're absolutely brilliant. They cost around 3 cents per page for color, whereas laser comes in at somewhere between 4 and 5. Inkjets cost around a quarter, on average.

There are also thermal wax printers, but those are mostly for business use.

I only bring up laser alternatives because laser printers tend to be more complicated, can spill, create more waste, and have a slightly higher cost per page vs. solid ink and wax.

Also keep in mind that since you use the printer for business use, you can write off the expense on your taxes.
The dozen pages a month may be a bit high, but I take your point (and that of another respondent) that I shouldn't have dried up cartridges given my usage. All I know is that since my first inkjet I've had whatever this problem is.

Never heard of a solid ink printer. Something to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Print at work using the boss's printers.
I do contract work. It's not worth the effort and time to get paperwork from the boss. Plus, I use the other side of used paper for this, so it's one little way I reuse/recycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post

Brother HL-2140 Compact Personal Laser Printer HL-2140 B&H Photo

There's a trick to tape the toner sensor to get more life out of the cartridges too. When you do run out, OEM TN-360 cartridges are $45/2600 pages. Third-party cartridges can be had for $20-$25.
I'll look into this, thanks.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
... and today, Newegg has it for $70.

Newegg.com - brother HL Series HL-2140 Personal Up to 23 ppm Monochrome Laser Printer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers