Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 06:07 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,716,704 times

Advertisements

whenever I enlarge a video (like youtube) the monitor screen whites out. I switched monitors and it still does it. everything I enlarge whites out. everything but Netflix. any ideas? thnx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 07:29 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
If the monitor doesn't make a difference, the issue is likely in your video card. My guess is the video card isn't powerful enough to play video in some formats.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:42 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
Could be the video card or you could have the wrong version of flash. Try downloading the latest version of flash

you can also try this

1. right click on the you tube video

2. select "settings"

3. select "display" tab on bottom left

4. uncheck "enable hardware acceleration"

Old 12-30-2010, 09:45 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
How are you enlarging the video? Are you dragging the window larger while it plays or are you using the menu to choose options like "fullscreen"? Have you tried pausing the video, then enlarging it, then trying to play it again? I also agree - this sounds like a software or processing power issue, not a monitor issue.

It could be Flash, so try updating that. Also try other formats, like wmv or mpeg files. Netflix uses Silverlight, which may be why you only have the problem with YouTube files that are typically flash files.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:08 PM

Thanks. I''ll get back to you if any of these are fixes. I appreciate it.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:05 PM

8,302 posts, read 13,434,842 times
It might be the video card but I would lean towards a driver issue. Obviously the driver for the video (graphics) card. When was the last time you update it?

Also consider this:
What was the last software you installed or updated on your system that might have something to do with this?

Old 01-01-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Could be the video card or you could have the wrong version of flash. Try downloading the latest version of flash

you can also try this

1. right click on the you tube video

2. select "settings"

3. select "display" tab on bottom left

4. uncheck "enable hardware acceleration"
thanks, this was the problem. why would this suddenly happen after yrs of no issue?

Old 01-01-2011, 07:04 PM

8,302 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
thanks, this was the problem. why would this suddenly happen after yrs of no issue?
Skel's instructions are typically applied at older systems or systems with relatively low end (most motherboard integrate ones are typically in this category) video cards which I believe was the case here.
By not using hardware acceleration, system utilizes for software driven approach which is typically inferior to hardware driven approach but at least you avoid having issues due to the shortcomings of the hardware component in question when running a hardware intensive task.

Also, another possibility is the resolution (monitor) you are using could be the cause. Meaning, if your monitor resolution is currently set at 1280x1024 and you changed it to 1024x768 the problem might not occur. So, this would still mean your video card is too weak (under powered) to handle high resolution that you have your display set at.

Again, updating the video card drivers might help but a slim chance though still worth it if you haven't already done so.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:40 AM

I have not. I ended up trading my 19" Westinghouse monitor away for a smaller one, because I thought it was broken when it'd white out. I should have come here first. I may have accidentally changed the monitor's resolution? I'm not sure. I guess I won't know now.

Forgive me.....but, how do I update my video card?

Old 01-03-2011, 12:20 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,857,373 times
Flash is utilizing more and more hardware acceleration with each new version. What likely happened is a new version started exercising a portion of the (software) driver and hardware that was previously unused and buggy, so disabling hardware acceleration avoided the newly found problem. There is a good chance that TurcoLoco's advice would have also worked - new drivers often contain fixes, or work around known bugs in the hardware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers