Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 12:41 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,620,979 times

Advertisements

Thanks all.
Found out the issue. (although the orange light is still flashing??)
I had to turn OFF my router's security settings.
About a month ago, I turned on, for the 1st time, my router's security to WPA/WPA2...with a password and it worked fine.
Until yesterday. Apparently, something has happened to cause the router to not allow online internet access with the security settings turned to ON.

Immediately after I went to the router's device webpage, and DISABLED the security, now we can log on, via laptop.

Is that weird? What is happenening? Why can we not have a secured wi-fi now? As obviously if I turn back ON the security, we cannot log on!

Help please.
Btw, it's a Belkin N router. F5D8236-4 v2 (01)
serial #: 12923823601243
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 01:49 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,783,110 times
Best thing to do right now is to call the service number that you have been given when you signed up, or that was given to you in a letter.

When you get to them (a person, NOT a machine answer), explain again what you experienced in detail.

Then follow their step by step procedure to get it working correctly.

There should be no reason why you can NOT have a *secure* wireless network.

Do you remember what you had to do when you first got the router?
Were you required to start with your desktop, get to some programme, then add *your* password ??
Something like this is what you have to do WITH the service call.

Hope you get it solved.

NOTE:
If during the service call, they give you info to enter via your desktop,
write down whatever you had to enter and save that data. !!!

P.S. The orange blinking light does nothing more than indicate there is some data going in or out of that port.
And yes, I would not use that as any indication that you have a secure connection or not, or even have a connection going.

Last edited by irman; 02-09-2011 at 02:47 PM..

Old 02-09-2011, 01:59 PM

573 posts, read 966,883 times
The wireless netowork cards might not support that security protocol very well, or it could be a windows driver issue. Most routers should support wep security as well which I believe is more common. It's what my verizon router uses.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:42 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,620,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebri View Post
The wireless netowork cards might not support that security protocol very well, or it could be a windows driver issue. Most routers should support wep security as well which I believe is more common. It's what my verizon router uses.

I tried to set WEP but it didn't work either. Still got a msg saying internet couldn't connect. Plus, what is the difference in WPA and WEP?

To set up the WEP, I had to have some weird hex numbers....like 13 pairs? What is up with this? I am clueless...pls use basic words.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:28 PM

573 posts, read 966,883 times
Wpa is more secure, I believe. Wep just requires a single network key. The hex numbers you are referring to are most likely the mac address of the router. All network devices have a mac address. It sounds like this router may be a little old. Check with the website to see if there are any issues with network security for the wireless portion. Also check with your service provider as they may be able to provide you with an integrated router cablemodem all in one like verizon does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers