Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 09:21 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,108 times

Advertisements

A very bizarre thing just happened, and I'm not quite sure why.

My brother and I were blissfully playing our games on Xbox Live tonight, during a heavy snow-storm nonetheless. For some strange reason, we were disconected. There was a very small "blink" of power which did absolutely nothing to the myriad of computers, electronics, and other such devices, but for some reason kicked us off our Xbox Live.

I checked the router--it was working, modem was fine, other computers were connected via wireless, and the office computer was working just fine. Turned out, the only two switches in the house (my brothers and mine) were down, just a faint glow from the "link" light, which I imagine was (possibly) the power from the computer.

No idea why it happened only to the switches. Both are simple Linksys "Cisco" 5-port.

The solution was to power-cycle them, but I'm curious why it happened. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 09:27 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Depending on the power supply and size of capacitors, some devices can withstand more of a power interruption than others. Just be glad the solution was as simple as a power cycle.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Depending on the power supply and size of capacitors, some devices can withstand more of a power interruption than others. Just be glad the solution was as simple as a power cycle.
That's what I find weird. Nothing else in the house went, and it isn't like we're having lightning strikes, so no expected surges. Probably brownout scenario, which is why I need a UPS (and still haven't gotten one), but it seems strange that only the switches had problems. That's what I'm trying to isolate.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:32 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
Different devices react differently, obviously x-boxes react poorly but it's no big surprise or mystery, you've already spent more time wondering about it than I would have, some devices just don't deal well with brownouts.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:20 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
I need a UPS (and still haven't gotten one)
Get one (or more). They're remarkably cheap these days, and can save not only your hardware, but your data as well (lots of data corruption issues can be traced to dirty power - as much as 80% of them).

We have batteries all over the place. All our networking gear, plus the phones and PCs. If we lose power, we can continue to work for about five minutes - longer if we shut down the PCs.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:12 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Get one (or more). They're remarkably cheap these days, and can save not only your hardware, but your data as well (lots of data corruption issues can be traced to dirty power - as much as 80% of them).

We have batteries all over the place. All our networking gear, plus the phones and PCs. If we lose power, we can continue to work for about five minutes - longer if we shut down the PCs.
I have several, running PowerChute so PC's do a shutdown if power out over 2 minutes. That leaves about 6+ hours of power for cable modem, and router which outlasts everything except for the netbook. Power outages are common here yet 90% of the time we loose power cable still works so we have internet.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I have several, running PowerChute so PC's do a shutdown if power out over 2 minutes. That leaves about 6+ hours of power for cable modem, and router which outlasts everything except for the netbook. Power outages are common here yet 90% of the time we loose power cable still works so we have internet.
Recommendations?

Old 02-02-2011, 04:25 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
APC is the standard. You said you have a myriad of computers, so you probably don't want everything on a UPS. I have 2 UPS units, an older 1100 and a newer 1450 watt. Old one has my main system and a second PC connected, used for testing OS and software. The new one has my server and all the network equipment connected.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:28 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by konraden View Post
recommendations?
apc.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:58 PM

8,312 posts, read 13,444,568 times
Nothing as romantic as playing XBox with your loved ones in the candle light!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers