U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 01:06 PM

12,498 posts, read 29,929,046 times

Advertisements

My son is using DVD flick to burn DVD's. He said it's taking an aweful long time to burn a DVD. After 2 1/2 hours, there was still 80% left. Any suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 01:20 PM

41,816 posts, read 47,417,649 times
Encoding video is very slow process.The burn is not what is taking so much time but the encoding. What is the source of the videos?

Old 02-13-2011, 01:56 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,104 posts, read 36,001,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Encoding video is very slow process.The burn is not what is taking so much time but the encoding.
Encoding speed can be improved with a faster processor, more RAM and having plenty of free space on the hard drive. Outside of gaming, encoding video is one of the most intensive tasks you are likely to do on a computer today.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Encoding video is very slow process.The burn is not what is taking so much time but the encoding. What is the source of the videos?
utorrent. He has 2 gigs of RAM. I gues he could upgrade to 4 gig.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:26 PM

1,941 posts, read 8,844,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
utorrent. He has 2 gigs of RAM. I gues he could upgrade to 4 gig.
its not ram that's needed, its processing power.

I encode 1080p video on 2GB of ram with no problems.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
its not ram that's needed, its processing power.

I encode 1080p video on 2GB of ram with no problems.
Could you explain how to do it?

Old 02-13-2011, 10:32 PM

The first thing to understand is there is no specific time it should take unless you're using standard material and doing standard encode. For example if you have DV-AVI from DV camcorder which is lightly compressed video it would take about 1 hour to encode one hour of video to DVD compliant .mpg using a p4 3ghz and mainconcepts encoder. I know this because I've done it hundreds of times on similar machine and know others that have similar experience with similar machine. Now if we added a filter like noise removal you just added a few hours to the process. We could add another hour doing two pass encoding, etc. If you were encoding to HD video it's going to take a ridiculous amount of time on machine like that.

Quote:
utorrent.
This video is probably no where near DVD compliant and would be one reason it's taking so long but it does seem excessive. Either the settings being used or the software is causing an excessive amount of processing.

Last edited by thecoalman; 02-13-2011 at 10:52 PM..

Old 02-13-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Encoding speed can be improved with a faster processor, more RAM and having plenty of free space on the hard drive. Outside of gaming, encoding video is one of the most intensive tasks you are likely to do on a computer today.
Having a lot of RAM is not all that important unless you're doing some heavy duty editing, some of the special effects applications are RAM hogs... Drive performance when processing video doesn't become much of an issue because you usually can't process the data fast enough o excedd the limitations of the drive. There are some exceptions, if for example we already had DVD compliant .mpg and edited together a bunch of clips all with the same specs we could output this edited video without reencoding. In this case you're basically copying the video and having two drives, one to source from and another to output to will greatly speed up the process.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:01 AM

1,941 posts, read 8,844,135 times
Quote:
Could you explain how to do it?
i use various types of software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman
This video is probably no where near DVD compliant and would be one reason it's taking so long
this is more than likely the correct answer. if you're burning DVD's to play on a standard DVD player, your computer is having to convert to a video_ts file structure and VOB video files. this process takes me about 30 minutes.

if i'm burning avchd, i convert the files first and then it takes about 2-3 minutes to burn. the video_ts is just going to take some time.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:54 AM

7,373 posts, read 13,941,790 times
720ps and 1080ps will take a long time to burn. It depends on how the video is compressed and of course your dvd burner as well as your computer specs. Yes I have some movies that take hours to burn. Avatar extended blue ray takes almost 3.5 hours for istance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers