Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 11:09 AM

901 posts, read 2,388,006 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this is an internet related issue or not, but I'm posting it in here because I have a question about my laptop with Windows 7. Shouldn't 2GB of RAM be enough to smoothly load the satellite images on Google maps? (It happens with other maps sites that offer satellite images, too.) I mean, I'm having as much trouble loading them as I did on my old desktop system with XP that only had 1GB of RAM. I've tried running a virus scan, defragging, clearing out the junk (cookies, etc...), only having 1 tab open - and still, the images are taking forever to load. What's the deal? Do I now need to install more RAM, too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 11:11 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,984,445 times
The slowest link is your internet connection ... so what speed is it?

Speakeasy - Speed Test

Old 02-25-2011, 11:16 AM

I thought about that, too....but I highly doubt it's my internet speed.

It's varying from run to run, but holding consistent at just over 20 Mbps.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:58 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,204,544 times
If your download speed is >20MB/s it ain't the Internet....

Just to be clear:

load=display??

Exactly what are the specs on your laptop? Video & it's memory to be specific...

Using IE?

So you go to Google Maps and type in "grand central station"... how long does it take for the map to display????

Old 02-25-2011, 10:07 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,458,848 times
What Internet security software are you running?

Old 02-26-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
If your download speed is >20MB/s it ain't the Internet....

Just to be clear:

load=display??
Correct. When I'm looking at the road map, and then click on the icon that is supposed to show the actual satellite images, it takes a very long time for the images to show up. When they do show up, they are blurry. So if I want to zoom in closer, then it gets really slow. I want to look at the overhead satellite images so that I can have a better idea of where different features are located, and...if I want to...switch to street view so I can see what it looks like as if I were driving along the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Exactly what are the specs on your laptop? Video & it's memory to be specific...

Using IE?

So you go to Google Maps and type in "grand central station"... how long does it take for the map to display????
Specs (I'll just cut and paste what I got after running dxdiag)...

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: Compaq Presario CQ60 Notebook PC
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 900 @ 2.20GHz, ~2.2GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 1980MB RAM
Page File: 979MB used, 2979MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
isplay Memory: 797 MB
Dedicated Memory: 64 MB
Shared Memory: 733 MB
Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (59.998Hz)

Yes, I'm using IE.

Went to Google Maps and typed in what you said. It took 12 seconds for the image to load. When I try to drag the map around, there is a 2-3 second delay in responding. Like it's trying to figure out what I want it to do...acting jerky. I don't understand this. It's really getting on my nerves, because here's the thing...for a long time after I bought this laptop, I didn't have this problem. It was able to display the clear images effortlessly. I'm very meticulous about maintaining my computers - cleaning the cookies, deleting history, running virus scans, keeping things updated, defragging, etc...and nothing is helping. The virus scan was completely clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
What Internet security software are you running?
Microsoft Security Essentials

Old 02-26-2011, 03:19 PM

Run resource monitor and watch what happens to the CPU and RAM. Google is always enhancing their software so maybe your low-end laptop just can't hack it any more. Also, Security Essential has a bug that can slow the system down under certain circumstances. To test it, temporarily turn off the real-time protection and see what happens. 2GB of RAM really isn't that much for a 64 bit OS so I'd upgrade that regardless.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Run resource monitor and watch what happens to the CPU and RAM. Google is always enhancing their software so maybe your low-end laptop just can't hack it any more. Also, Security Essential has a bug that can slow the system down under certain circumstances. To test it, temporarily turn off the real-time protection and see what happens. 2GB of RAM really isn't that much for a 64 bit OS so I'd upgrade that regardless.
Will try running the resource monitor and then turning off MSE to see how that affects it. Oddly enough I didn't have much of a problem while looking at Bing satellite images a little while ago. I knew this laptop wasn't a powerful system when I got it, but at the time I just wanted something I could use for basic things like writing, looking at photos, and diddling around online. I'll have to think about upgrading the RAM. Not sure what type it takes, but I can find out easily enough.

Thanks for the help!

Old 02-26-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
Will try running the resource monitor and then turning off MSE to see how that affects it. Oddly enough I didn't have much of a problem while looking at Bing satellite images a little while ago. I knew this laptop wasn't a powerful system when I got it, but at the time I just wanted something I could use for basic things like writing, looking at photos, and diddling around online. I'll have to think about upgrading the RAM. Not sure what type it takes, but I can find out easily enough.

Thanks for the help!
For the RAM, go to crucial.com and run their system scanner. It'll tell you what you have and what your upgrade options are.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:12 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,984,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 900 @ 2.20GHz, ~2.2GHz
This is a reason, then ...
PassMark - Intel Celeron 900 @ 2.20GHz - Price performance comparison

FWIW, the CPU in a 5 year old Core Duo (NOT even the later Core 2 Duo) laptop is actually faster ...

As for the memory ...
Computer memory upgrades for HP - Compaq Presario CQ60-615DX Laptop/Notebook from Crucial.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers