Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 12:14 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,167,837 times

Advertisements

I see so many things wrong with this. Non Windows users be damned. I can already see them drop support for Linux. And while I think that they will keep the Android version for now, most likely, all new features and improvements will be for the Winphone version.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 12:52 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,028,623 times
How can they drop support for Linux and keep supporting Android at the same time?

It must suck to be eBay.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:42 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,167,837 times
When I said Linux, I was referring to the desktop version of it. For them, desktop Linux users are just a blip on the radar. Android has a too big of a user base to ignore.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:09 AM

715 posts, read 1,145,728 times
My mistake!

Old 05-12-2011, 10:32 AM

16,605 posts, read 15,548,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
How can they drop support for Linux and keep supporting Android at the same time?

It must suck to be eBay.
Why?

Old 05-12-2011, 11:40 AM

15,913 posts, read 20,138,459 times
Another looser purchase by that idiot Ballmer.

Lets hope it turns out better then their purchase of aQuantive.......

Old 05-12-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Why?
Well, it doesn't really suck that bad ,... but Ebay could have made several billions. Instead, they'll make something like 2 billion, less taxes.

Ebay bought Skype for $2.5 Bill back in 2005. Then didn't do anything with it and let it languish for a few years. Then sold 65% ownership to a private group for something like $1.6 bill. So they'll only make money on their 35% ownership while the private group makes more.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Another looser purchase by that idiot Ballmer.

Lets hope it turns out better then their purchase of aQuantive.......
I agree with the "idiot Ballmer" jab,....

but I can see where Skype could be used to immediately complement Microsoft technologies- onlne meetings (instead of Webex or Breeze and the phone) for it's corporate clients and extend its use to Xbox Kinect platform for home users. And don't forget the installed base of Windows.

Didn't Nokia and Microsoft just sign a deal? In the smartphone business, they both seem to be on the outside looking in. Buying Skype might be the missing piece towards competing head-on with the Iphone, Blackberry and even the Android-based phones.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,993,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
but I can see where Skype could be used to immediately complement Microsoft technologies- onlne meetings (instead of Webex or Breeze and the phone) for it's corporate clients and extend its use to Xbox Kinect platform for home users. And don't forget the installed base of Windows.
I've heard experts say that Skype is a disruptive technology in secure networking environments. The main gripe I recall is that it bypasses proxy restrictions by simulating Port 80 (web-browsing) traffic. Given how many buttoned-up enterprise customers Microsoft has, I can't imagine those folks will be too thrilled to see it supported in, for instance, Office or on the Server platforms.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I've heard experts say that Skype is a disruptive technology in secure networking environments. The main gripe I recall is that it bypasses proxy restrictions by simulating Port 80 (web-browsing) traffic. Given how many buttoned-up enterprise customers Microsoft has, I can't imagine those folks will be too thrilled to see it supported in, for instance, Office or on the Server platforms.
That's true. I never trusted Skype because of all the holes and security risks. But sometime in the future, it will be an "official Microsoft product", not just "some voip product from developers in Estonia". Heck, they may still be in Estonia, but it'll be Microsft Estonia.

I'm guessing the technical hurdle here will be that Skype is peer-to-peer, not client-server centric. But, I'm sure Microsoft has billions more to address that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers