Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 12:59 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Sure you're bouncing one Costco computer against one Dell computer. Costco had 11 Dell laptops for sale. What about the other 100s of computers with umpteen different combinations of HDD and memory and screen size for sale at Dell?

Here are 724 laptops from which you can filter to a computer configuration perfect for you.

Dell Factory Outlet

Also, do I not pay tax on a Dell Computer sold online vs tax at Costco?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I agree. You bypass the manuf. service and you can deal directly with the Costco Concierge, a customer service phone line that responds to questions about all electronics sold at Costco. Costco also has a generous return policy, in addition to the extra year of warranty.
Asked and answered - if the config at Costco suites you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 01:07 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,623 times
dell laptop is better. got one for 6 years and still working.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:41 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
dell laptop is better. got one for 6 years and still working.
Slightly anecdotal, don't you think?

Old 05-30-2011, 05:16 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
I've had fewer problems with Dell than Lenovo, but I absolutely can't stand going through Dell customer service. Been working with ASUS machines the past year and I lke them best of all. No clue about ACER and don't know anyone who recommends them.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:57 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times
I'm thinking between Walmart's 17.3 Acer Quad Core, & Costco's 17.3 Dell? Dell has a i5 processor vs the Quad core of Acer. (Both have same screen size). But Acer is $478 vs Dell is $799. A huge difference in price & maybe out of my budget for now. Should I wait or buy either one now?

I've been w/out a home laptop for many months & this desktop sucks. Also, Walmart has another low end Compaq for $298 in-store. Would it be best to just buy it & save even more? I need only websurfing, email, maybe streaming sports video, Hulu or youtube-type things at the best speed it can pull it in.

Ok, save me as I'm lost...

Old 08-24-2011, 07:23 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I've had fewer problems with Dell than Lenovo, but I absolutely can't stand going through Dell customer service. Been working with ASUS machines the past year and I lke them best of all. No clue about ACER and don't know anyone who recommends them.
I've got 3 Acer machines and my daughter has another one. Certainly 4 machines are not a representative sampling, but we have had no problems with any of them. They have all been cost effective machines. I've done tech work for many years. Dell has been my overall favorite brand, with HP close behind. Since IBM sold off their personal computer business to Lenovo, I prefer to have nothing to do with them. My opinions.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:43 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I've got 3 Acer machines and my daughter has another one. Certainly 4 machines are not a representative sampling, but we have had no problems with any of them. They have all been cost effective machines. I've done tech work for many years. Dell has been my overall favorite brand, with HP close behind. Since IBM sold off their personal computer business to Lenovo, I prefer to have nothing to do with them. My opinions.
Well, according to my think so far I'm leaning toward the Acer @ Walmart. But I am thinking of the Costco Dell still a bit. That said, my buddy claims, other than Mac, just forget all other pc's as they're wastes of time & eventual money pits. I would love a low end Mac even, but haven't a clue as to where to go when buying the best Mac, @ best deal, I can get. Anyone help w/ Mac?

Old 08-25-2011, 05:55 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Slightly anecdotal, don't you think?
Probably. I have had three Dell Laptops last me 6 years or more. Still use 2 or them. That's anecdotal, but it might help the OP to read our experiences.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:26 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Well, according to my think so far I'm leaning toward the Acer @ Walmart. But I am thinking of the Costco Dell still a bit. That said, my buddy claims, other than Mac, just forget all other pc's as they're wastes of time & eventual money pits. I would love a low end Mac even, but haven't a clue as to where to go when buying the best Mac, @ best deal, I can get. Anyone help w/ Mac?
A Mac and a PC are both build using basically the same hardware components. Just as you see people here referring to claims of a good or bad brand based on their own single experience, he should be asked for something to back up his anecdotal claim.

If a Mac really interests you based on the features of the Mac OS, some folks here knowledgeable in that area will be glad to help steer you in the right direction. Maybe a refurbished Mac is a good choice for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers