Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 10:22 PM

2 posts, read 48,581 times

Advertisements

Hi, I tried to find a solution to my pc issue, but the problem keeps coming back. Maybe there's a simple solution, but I'm not very tech-savvy. I have an ASUS eee 1050ha - it's under 2 years old and I only use it about twice a week, so the battery is still good and still holds an 8 hr charge.

About 2 weeks ago I turned it on and it opened up to the BIOS screen, American MegaTrends. This had never happened before & I'd never seen that screen before--I thought it was a virus. I didn't know how to exit from it and inadvertently erased everything, so it started from a clean slate. I discovered that f1 would've bypassed the BIOS and taken me to the Windows screen...Yeah, live and learn.

The problem is, it still opens up to the this BIOS screen at start-up. I have to reset the 'silent boot' as well as the 'time/date' for every new session. I say every "new" session because once I set it, shut it down to test whether the changes stuck, then restart it, everything seems to be okay. However, tomorrow it will be the same problem again with the BIOS screen opening, with 'silent boot' disabled, and the date starting at January 1, 2002. It appears that after, I assume, so many hours, my notebook does not 'hold' any of the changes I made to the BIOS screen. Any help would be appreciated. And, please...use laymens terms, as I am a ditz when it comes to technology. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by dee007; 05-27-2011 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: erroneous explanation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 10:25 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
Far out possibility but could you have a stuck key on your keyboard? Could be invoking BIOS setup or something????

Try another keyboard.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:12 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,516,494 times
No it is not a stuck key on the keyboard.

The fact that you loose the settings plus the date and time means it is the CMOS battery, a coin type battery on the mother board has finally give it up, and you need to replace the battery. It is a 3v battery about the size of a quarter. Can easily find a replacement even at a grocery store, but certainly at a Radio Shack

Old 05-27-2011, 11:12 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,188,547 times
It's a laptop, yes?

If it keeps on loosing it's BIOS settings could be the battery on the MB needs replacing.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
It's a laptop, yes?

If it keeps on loosing it's BIOS settings could be the battery on the MB needs replacing.
Desktops also have a CMOS battery, and exhibit the same symptoms.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:32 PM

2 posts, read 48,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
No it is not a stuck key on the keyboard.

The fact that you loose the settings plus the date and time means it is the CMOS battery, a coin type battery on the mother board has finally give it up, and you need to replace the battery. It is a 3v battery about the size of a quarter. Can easily find a replacement even at a grocery store, but certainly at a Radio Shack
I've never even heard or knew anything about a "CMOS" battery. I just assumed that the only battery was the big heavy one. I will look into it & hope that is the issue. I also hope it's something simple enough that someone like me can change it!

Thank you all for your advice. It's much appreciated!

Old 05-28-2011, 08:10 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,188,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Desktops also have a CMOS battery, and exhibit the same symptoms.
I asked the question because a laptop keyboard is not quite as easy to replace as a desktop keyboard and wanted to save the OP some grief and money......

Sorry I didn't explain why I didn't go into my reasons when I asked the question, didn't think it was necessary to show people how smart I was like some other people.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I asked the question because a laptop keyboard is not quite as easy to replace as a desktop keyboard and wanted to save the OP some grief and money......

Sorry I didn't explain why I didn't go into my reasons when I asked the question, didn't think it was necessary to show people how smart I was like some other people.
But the symptoms don't fit a stuck key in any way, even mentioning the keyboard is misleading to the OP.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:02 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
Edit: This may not be accurate. I did not notice that the link went to a different model laptop. I'll keep snooping.

How to get to the CMOS battery on your laptop: EEE PC Internal Mods Guide (Page 1) / Hacks and Modifications / EeeUser Forum

Scroll down to this picture on that page. It's the round, blue piece with tape across it at the left.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 05-28-2011 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: Model number questionable

Old 05-28-2011, 09:27 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
I went to the eee section on the Asus web site and went to the all products list. They do not show a 1050. did you type the number correctly?

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers