Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 05:22 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,146,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I thought that could have been a possibility as well. But the usage of "Select" in this case is odd, so I wasn't sure.

So I made the assumption that "Select" meant "set" and wrote it out in C:

int * Pointer;
*Pointer = 1; Kaboom. Where is *Pointer?

while (*Pointer < 10) Not needed, will never test true as *Pointer>5 will end loop first{
Pointer = *Pointer; //This line is obviously wrong. Indeed this is wrong. Will get a compile error in a strong type check compiler (such as C++). If it compiled and linked, the next line will kaboom
*Pointer++;
if (*Pointer > 5)
break;
}

Either I'm misinterpreting something, or the psuedocode has an error in it.
NJBest, I understand all you did was translate the original stuff to a reasonable language people can understand. I didn't make an attempt to follow the original stuff at all. So my comments are directed to the original post, it was just easier to follow your translation.

mjohnson, if NJBest did capture your intent properly, there are some basic things you are not understanding. One is the role of a pointer and the other is loop control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 07:02 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,555,613 times
Quote:
It could not be MyFavoriteAlien, because MyFavoriteAlien would be a variable, and not a pointer.
That is incorrect. In some languages you declare pointers without specifying "@". You tend to see implicit pointers in OO stuff.

Last edited by Rich_CD; 06-10-2011 at 07:15 AM..

Old 06-10-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Either I'm misinterpreting something, or the psuedocode has an error in it.
I don't know what language the OP is using either. Even though I don't code anymore I'm fairly sure the code posted by the OP is basically *all* error.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
...a reasonable language people can understand...
I disagree. C is *not* a language that people unerstand. It's a language that is full of much less than intuitive constructs. The average person would call it gibberish.

There are other languages that people actually can understand without having years of programming knowledge under their belt. Also, those languages can be more easily understood by code analyzers making advanced development tools easier to produce.

Code completion tools which can cut coding time down significantly are much easier to produce in better languages. Also, two way coding via visual design is easier to provide in stricter languages.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:35 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
I disagree. C is *not* a language that people unerstand. It's a language that is full of much less than intuitive constructs. The average person would call it gibberish.

There are other languages that people actually can understand without having years of programming knowledge under their belt. Also, those languages can be more easily understood by code analyzers making advanced development tools easier to produce.

Code completion tools which can cut coding time down significantly are much easier to produce in better languages. Also, two way coding via visual design is easier to provide in stricter languages.
And I disagree with you. C/C++ is one of the most reasonable languages to use when trying to discuss algorithms and/or concepts. The reason for this is because the majority of computer scientists know this language. Java and C++ are the most common languages used at universities for data structures and advanced programming. Java uses the C syntax.

This thread is not for the "average person". It's clearly targeted towards computer scientists or knowledgeable programmers.

Anyways, this argument is not in line with the OPs question.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
The reason for this is because the majority of computer scientists know this language.

Java and C++ are the most common languages used at universities for data structures and advanced programming.

This thread is not for the "average person".

Anyways, this argument is not in line with the OPs question.
I said C is not a good language because it is terse and obscure. I'm not commenting on its "commonality". I said the average person would call it gibberish to support my statement.

Universities make money by selling classes. They will choose the language which leads to more class hours.

Right, the thread is not for the average person. That is why I stated that C is not a good language. The average person will not have a clue as to way it is or isn't a good language.

You're right this has gone off topic. But, it is the beginning of a great topic to discuss.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:20 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Almost, but not quite accurate. You should clear it up so it's not confusing to the OP.
that is my understanding of what a pointer is; i use python so i don't have much experience with them, it just looked like his question wasn't being addressed. feel free to clear up anything you thought was inaccurate.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:24 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,893 times
C/C++ really is the best language for explaining pointers (that or Assembly).

Anyway, here is an explanation that breaks it down nicely.

C++ : Understanding pointers

And how it works concerning assembly

http://www.formboss.net/blog/2010/12...s-in-assembly/

No offense to the OP, but you really should spend a little more time searching for the information. You can find thousands of examples on the concept of pointers doing a simple Google.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers