Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 12:41 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times

Advertisements

More than likely the people who will benefit the most are those who use Apple computers and devices. And no, it's not hype. It's a very useful technology, and not an Apple's creation. This technology will be a lot better then streaming is added to it, since it could be used for movie streaming and such, in addition to what it can do for Apple computers and devices not. This technology will migrate to all computer platforms in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 07:39 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Yes, this is definitely Apple-centric, but Microsoft is putting its own version together now for Windows, and Google is also moving in the same direction and with its own operating system so it can compete as well.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:02 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Yes, this is definitely Apple-centric, but Microsoft is putting its own version together now for Windows, and Google is also moving in the same direction and with its own operating system so it can compete as well.
Agree with you, and for what we already know about Apple, the iCloud will have all kinds of bells and whistles for both the Apple and PC users. I imagine the iCloud will eventually replace the Apple-TV. All it needs is video streaming in addition to what it does now.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:46 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Sony has been using the OTA download model for its PS3 for something like four years now? All new software and system updates are managed remotely and pushed out as needed.
4 years? unix/linux has been doing this through cvs/svn and shell scripting since the 80s. my linux box gets updated for every single version change and program change nightly. it has always run on the thin client/server model. it is always in sync w/ latest builds/backups what have you, adding a shiny music service to the model is nothing revolutionary. I have had my mp3 collection syncing and backed up since 1998 or so, when the first rio's came out.

nothing new, just packaged for the masses.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:47 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
To be honest with you I hope (and I also think) that Cloud will fall on its face (I know investors are all about "cloud computing" since they see big revenues from it by "raping the consumer") but I see it as a bad thing all around... the entire point of cloud service is money... everything is about money... with cloud, how are you going to make money? Imagine a world that you have to pay $10 a month for using Microsoft Word... $20 a month for the MS Office... $30 a month for a newer version of MS Office... $10 a month to have access to your mp3 + an extra $5 a month for every gadget you use to access your mp3... its about money and that is what Cloud service is all about... I hope it fails, because I rather pay $100 for my MS Office that I have been using the past 10 years than paying $12000... Cloud service is basically a subscription service... I am waiting for when they want to charge me $100 each time I want to turn on my computer.... no thanks...

Old 06-12-2011, 01:03 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
To be honest with you I hope (and I also think) that Cloud will fall on its face (I know investors are all about "cloud computing" since they see big revenues from it by "raping the consumer") but I see it as a bad thing all around... the entire point of cloud service is money... everything is about money... with cloud, how are you going to make money? Imagine a world that you have to pay $10 a month for using Microsoft Word... $20 a month for the MS Office... $30 a month for a newer version of MS Office... $10 a month to have access to your mp3 + an extra $5 a month for every gadget you use to access your mp3... its about money and that is what Cloud service is all about... I hope it fails, because I rather pay $100 for my MS Office that I have been using the past 10 years than paying $12000... Cloud service is basically a subscription service... I am waiting for when they want to charge me $100 each time I want to turn on my computer.... no thanks...
This is obviously an exaggeration. The market simply wouldn't sustain that kind of pricing. It's not so much a conspiracy of charges, but enticing people onto a single platform. If Apple makes it incredibly easy to sync all of your devices for free, you're more likely to purchase Apple devices (laptop, tablet, phone and TV). This is where Microsoft really needs to worry because they can rapidly lose market share to Apple and Google, especially in the home/consumer market. Once individual consumers start to switch, they will start to pressure their employers for enterprise support (which is where the real money is in operating systems). This has started already. My office now allows people to use iPhone and iPads instead of Blackberries. Asking for a MacBook Pro instead of a crappy Lenovo machine is the obvious next step.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:15 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,435,954 times
The entire point of could services is for unity, fluid transactions between devices and having what you need wherever you are, all the time. It's about convenience, ease of use, and getting the most out of the devices you own. Of course it's going to cost SOMETHING, but it will be reasonable.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:48 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
4 years? unix/linux has been doing this through cvs/svn and shell scripting since the 80s. my linux box gets updated for every single version change and program change nightly. it has always run on the thin client/server model. it is always in sync w/ latest builds/backups what have you, adding a shiny music service to the model is nothing revolutionary. I have had my mp3 collection syncing and backed up since 1998 or so, when the first rio's came out.

nothing new, just packaged for the masses.
Unix/linux has been doing a lot since the 80s but never gains serious traction because it can't translate to the masses. One of the nice things about Apple is that it brought in its own form Unix/linux to the masses.

Its one thing to have a capability, its another to be able to use it. And 1998? When most people still used 14MB floppies and dial up? The infrastructure just didn't exist for this kind of system then.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:52 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,435,954 times
Quote:
When most people still used 14MB floppies
all my floppies were like 1/10th of that

Old 06-13-2011, 07:10 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
Once again, Apple getting credit for creating something that's already existed. To use as just one of many examples I could pull out of my head, Steam has been utilizing this same technology for gamers for quite some time now. Or if you want a more business-centric iteration, Salesforce.com has had this functionality for a while, as well.

But of course, that won't stop people from claiming Apple came up with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers