Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 02:52 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,438,714 times

Advertisements

I had a Sony VAIO laptop which needed fixed.
They had to install a new harddrive along with a new OS.
All my old files that were not backe dup were lost.

The PC will run, but it has no programs on it.
Several Questions:

1) Since there is no anti-virus, what anti-virus and other protection programs should I download and install (for free)...is there a list?

[b]2) Sadly it does not have Microsoft Office, which is vital for me. I need and use the word processor, excel, and powerpoint. I do not have an old copy, am I SOL, or is there anyway I can get my hands on an old product key or download one for free online.
MOD CUT

3) Basically, what programs and in what order should I download so my PC is safe and useable?

4) Lastly, once I download MS Office and iTunes, will all my program files and documents I do have backed up be able to be read and accessed on the PC?

Thanks!

Last edited by linicx; 06-13-2011 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: MS key codes not available here. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 03:01 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,437,932 times
1) As far as A/V's, take a gander:
Best Free Antivirus Software

2) You should have the original documentation with the office key in it, I would imagine. If you don't, there isn't much you can do other than buying a new copy.

3) When I reinstall PCs, I install and update flash, adobe reader, java, an antivirus (I prefer Microsoft's security essentials, or Avira Antivir), and install every update possible through Windows Update. I also install Firefox, LogMeIn, Dropbox, and a few others that are for ease of use.

4)Yes, if you backed up any documents, music, etc. you can move them to the new drive without issue.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:04 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,412,065 times
(1) There are suggested free anti-virus programs in this forum. AVG Free, Microsoft Security Essentials, etc. Do some reading...it's all there.

(2) You can download OpenOffice for free. It's like MS Office but has a few quirks. Still, it does work with all MS Office file formats.

OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite

(3) Order of installation shouldn't matter, but I've always loaded the Anti-Virus stuff last.

(4) All files that you have on back-up media should be readable by the programs on your PC - unless the back-up media has gone bad.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:06 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Try going to Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once and download all your free programs at once and install them automatically.

(BTW, I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials.)

Old 06-13-2011, 03:09 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
I had a Sony VAIO laptop which needed fixed.
They had to install a new harddrive along with a new OS.
All my old files that were not backe dup were lost.
Who is "they"? Sony? Do you still have a recovery disk or something that contains the programs?

Old 06-14-2011, 07:59 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post

(2) You can download OpenOffice for free. It's like MS Office but has a few quirks. Still, it does work with all MS Office file formats.

OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite
OpenOffice is so 2009.
Libre Office is the new darling of the open source movement.

LibreOffice Productivity Suite Download » LibreOffice

Long story but Open Office has forked and most of the OO dev's have moved to Libre.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:01 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
How did you get MS Office in the first place if you don't have your CD and key?

Old 06-14-2011, 12:04 PM

494 posts, read 1,610,004 times
Quote:
1) Since there is no anti-virus, what anti-virus and other protection programs should I download and install (for free)...is there a list?
Currently using Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes. If a malware infection is very severe than I move on to using combofix, but MSE and MB work great for most people.

Quote:
[b]2) Sadly it does not have Microsoft Office, which is vital for me. I need and use the word processor, excel, and powerpoint. I do not have an old copy, am I SOL, or is there anyway I can get my hands on an old product key or download one for free online.
Tried asking people? If you know a college student or know someone that knows one, you may have some luck there. The licensing on eductional software is usually a lot more relaxed.

If not, you will just have to buy it again.
Quote:
3) Basically, what programs and in what order should I download so my PC is safe and useable?
MSE, MB, Firefox, Java, Flash plugin for FF, winrar, MS office, Photoshop (optional), Adobe reader. That should be it for most people.

Of course FF is a personal preference, but from a security standpoint, it's more secure than IE and more compatible than Google Chrome. I also suggest you install the ABP plugin for FireFox.
Quote:
4) Lastly, once I download MS Office and iTunes, will all my program files and documents I do have backed up be able to be read and accessed on the PC?
Yes if you backed up any.

Also there is probably no need to worry about drivers as Sony probably took care of that for you when reinstalling the OS.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:48 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
I wouldn't bother with the hassle/expense/risk of getting a Office license for free. You can use Office applications online for free now through your Hotmail account.

Hotmail: Office in your inbox

Old 06-14-2011, 01:51 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,412,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
OpenOffice is so 2009.
Libre Office is the new darling of the open source movement.

LibreOffice Productivity Suite Download » LibreOffice

Long story but Open Office has forked and most of the OO dev's have moved to Libre.
Ohh, I feel so old!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers