Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 11:51 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,684,768 times

Advertisements

When I plug it into my computer, it'll say it's syncing on my iPod screen but not my iTunes. I can't transfer any new music to my iPod. When I go into the 'file' tab, 'sync iPod' is grayed out so I can't click on it to do it manually. Any idea what the problem might be? Thank you!

Lucy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 07:01 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
No idea. I had that happen to me. All I could do is sync it with a different computer. I never figured out why it would not work on the first PC. Just be careful to make the right choices on the other PC so you don't lose things.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:12 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
have you tried completely shutting off the ipod? if it's an ipod touch, hold down the hold button until it can shut it off. leave it off for a bit, then turn it back on. if possible, try to reset it to factory settings if the option pop up on itunes.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:50 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
I'm not sure what you need is on this page, but it's worth a look.

iPod not recognized in 'My Computer' and in iTunes for Windows

My first thought was reinstall iTunes.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:35 AM

Thank you for the help. I was thinking of reinstalling it too. I may do that.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:33 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
Thank you for the help. I was thinking of reinstalling it too. I may do that.
Before you reinstall iTunes, check the preferences to see if you have de-selected the files or folders to "Sync" the iPod to.

Something else. Keep in mind that you can set your iPod not to sync your music. The only thing I have set on mine to sync is a folder with family photos. Everything else I install manually, including music. For example, I download music to the computer from the iTunes store, and then create playlists at iTunes in the computer. Then I connect my iPod to the computer, and drag the playlist I have just created into the iPod. The playlist is automatically duplicated (copied) and moved to the iPod, leaving the original playlist at iTunes in the computer.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:09 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,702,144 times
Quote:
When I plug it into my computer, it'll say it's syncing on my iPod screen but not my iTunes. I can't transfer any new music to my iPod. When I go into the 'file' tab, 'sync iPod' is grayed out so I can't click on it to do it manually. Any idea what the problem might be? Thank you!

Lucy
Just so I'm clear, when the iPod is plugged in, can you see it in iTunes, on the left hand side, even though it isn't synching?

If so, and if you click on the device in the list, under the summary tab, under options, are the sync options selected?

Under the music tab, is the sync checkbox selected?

Also, are you using the Apple USB cable or an aftermarket one?

Old 07-05-2011, 11:50 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
I have the iPhone with music loaded. I don't know if this applies or not, but it seems like I can off load music to the computer from iphone but not the reverse. To add songs I already had in iTunex I have to manually select what I wanted to load on iPhone. I have not tried to sync it to my Mac.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:01 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,398,076 times
Quote:

Lucy
Same thing happened to me...the only way to fix it was to delete the entire library and start over. Thank God, most of the tunes where saved on disk. You can call Apple for tech support, although they didn't help me when I called, you can at least try. Its very frustrating I know. Good luck.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Just so I'm clear, when the iPod is plugged in, can you see it in iTunes, on the left hand side, even though it isn't synching?

If so, and if you click on the device in the list, under the summary tab, under options, are the sync options selected?

Under the music tab, is the sync checkbox selected?

Also, are you using the Apple USB cable or an aftermarket one?
Okay, I basically checked into everything you spelled out here and managed to fix the problem. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers