Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 06:48 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Thanks for this link! I tried it and it worked! Now my Vista 64 is downloading 98 updates since 4-10-2010! Was damaged by the Win32 Rbot.gen Trojan from a Tank Combat video game torrent on install.

Only bad thing is that this OS hd install takes 10 minutes to bootup!
10 minutes? You've got some issues there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 08:21 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:

Press the turbo button.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:33 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,975 times
It's my original OS install since I've built the computer Dec 2008. So it has lots of programs, and 3 antivirus. I initially thought Steam was slowing down the boot, that's why at first I hated Steam. But it's only a 500 GB partition.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:27 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,191,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Of course you wouldn't but without Steam what is the alternative?

Digging thru game boxes, swapping CD/DVDs, typing in software keys, and clicking "next" dozens of times for a few days to do it manually sounds far more painful than recovering if you have your games on Steam.
I don't have any digging to do. All my games are on shelf above my computer desk, no digging required. Patches are also saved so no need to go combing the internet to redownload them. I could reinstall apps off of local media faster then waiting for them to download.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:48 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Of course you wouldn't but without Steam what is the alternative?

Digging thru game boxes, swapping CD/DVDs, typing in software keys, and clicking "next" dozens of times for a few days to do it manually sounds far more painful than recovering if you have your games on Steam.
Or you could make it simple and just store disc images on a hard drive.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:42 PM

I store many install torrents as disk images; I don't burn them to dvd.

Just bought IL2 Sturmovik 1946 today for $4.99. Total Steam download purchases total $421.87 !
Steam sales make you buy lots of video games!

It was nice taking a break today and playing The Settlers 7 for 2 hours.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:20 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,095 times
Quote:
I store many install torrents as disk images; I don't burn them to dvd.

Just bought IL2 Sturmovik 1946 today for $4.99. Total Steam download purchases total $421.87 !
Steam sales make you buy lots of video games!

It was nice taking a break today and playing The Settlers 7 for 2 hours.
Ok, I have to throw this out in case you don't know, since I know that you're relatively new to steam.

Be very careful about running pirated games with Steam. I know of at least two people that have lost their entire Steam account (including having gifted games taken from the receiver of the gift) for running games that Steam identified as pirated.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:00 PM

I wouldn't install a Steam torrented game on the same OS partition as my legal Steam install. If I know a pirated game has a Steam crack I wouldn't use it [like Mafia 2 and Civ 5]. That's why I use multiple OS installs on my computers; I have spare installs to test torrents if they're ok.

Like my Dirt2 torrent. It worked but I didn't have an activation code so I couldn't save games. So I just bought Dirt2 33% off for $13.39. Will wait for Dirt 3 to go $20 while I play Dirt 2.

There are torrents for unlocking all Steam games but I didn't bother with that. I can't afford to be banned by Steam. I noticed they did have an account status.

But it seems like Steam doesn't have good customer support. If you have questions you have to look at their questions / FAQ database of answers.

Like I have a question - How do you delete games but still keep the license? I'd like to delete some Demos permanently. But some Steam games I will delete on my 732 gb partition and reinstall them on my other new 2tb hd install. I moving to a new main hd OS install, my latest 732GB was too small to hold all of my 70 Steam games. Might just keep the games that have cloud games saves.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:00 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,095 times
Quote:
I wouldn't install a Steam torrented game on the same OS partition as my legal Steam install. If I know a pirated game has a Steam crack I wouldn't use it [like Mafia 2 and Civ 5]. That's why I use multiple OS installs on my computers; I have spare installs to test torrents if they're ok.

Like my Dirt2 torrent. It worked but I didn't have an activation code so I couldn't save games. So I just bought Dirt2 33% off for $13.39. Will wait for Dirt 3 to go $20 while I play Dirt 2.

There are torrents for unlocking all Steam games but I didn't bother with that. I can't afford to be banned by Steam. I noticed they did have an account status.

But it seems like Steam doesn't have good customer support. If you have questions you have to look at their questions / FAQ database of answers.

Like I have a question - How do you delete games but still keep the license? I'd like to delete some Demos permanently. But some Steam games I will delete on my 732 gb partition and reinstall them on my other new 2tb hd install. I moving to a new main hd OS install, my latest 732GB was too small to hold all of my 70 Steam games. Might just keep the games that have cloud games saves.
Moving your steam folder to a new drive is super easy. You just copy everything to the new drive, and then uninstall steam, and reinstall in the new folder.

As for removing the game, I just right click and delete local content. When I want it back I just reinstall. I'm not aware of any games that I've lost saves or other settings on (although it could have happened).

Old 07-15-2011, 11:45 AM

8,320 posts, read 13,447,487 times
Quote:
...and the survey says: TIME FOR A FRESH OS INSTALL!

You could mingle with the startup registry entries, system services and even try uninstalling-re-installing device drivers but chances are, the survey is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers