Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 04:36 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,963,728 times

Advertisements

The first versions of powerpoint were heaven sent.

A slide presentation was a multimedia production. Up to 6 projectors, A "cricket" synch device, plus whatever you were using for sound. Lets not even talk about the actual production. A slide presentation could easily take up to six weeks to complete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,008,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I do get it. I spend about 6 hours a week cleaning up bad powerpoint presentations.
I've done that, too.

I've also formatted them to work well on analog TV.

Powerpoint is not the cause of the problem. It's just a tool that is misused by people who could use it so much more effectively if they applied about a dozen rules to their presentations.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:51 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,036,057 times
Quote:
I do get it. I spend about 6 hours a week cleaning up bad powerpoint presentations.
Thinking you get it doesn't mean that you do.

If you spend 6 hours a week cleaning up powerpoint presentations, why not just give the people who make bad presentations Indesign to avoid the issue to begin with? Oh wait, that won't work.

Arguing that Indesign + PDF is a better presentation tool than powerpoints is the most retarded (for the lack of a better term at the moment) thing I've heard. Powerpoint is a quick and dirty presentation tool for staff meetings and such. For real presentations, you use professionals. It has it's place and nothing really comparable. What other tool can an average joe put together a 30 slide presentation in 10 minutes by just hashing together data from other documents?

Why not be realistic here and just say that Flash is the best presentation tool? Because you can sure as hell make better presentations in Flash than in Indesign.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Thinking you get it doesn't mean that you do.

If you spend 6 hours a week cleaning up powerpoint presentations, why not just give the people who make bad presentations Indesign to avoid the issue to begin with? Oh wait, that won't work.

Arguing that Indesign + PDF is a better presentation tool than powerpoints is the most retarded (for the lack of a better term at the moment) thing I've heard. Powerpoint is a quick and dirty presentation tool for staff meetings and such. For real presentations, you use professionals. It has it's place and nothing really comparable. What other tool can an average joe put together a 30 slide presentation in 10 minutes by just hashing together data from other documents?

Why not be realistic here and just say that Flash is the best presentation tool? Because you can sure as hell make better presentations in Flash than in Indesign.
If they want to bore their audience to death.

You are not getting it. I prefer the indesign/PDF combination. It just makes for a nicer, more professional looking presentation. That is just my opinion. I'm not telling everyone to use it.

There is a bit of a learning curve with indesign and it is more expensive. And you can incorporate flash into indesign and make a pdf presentation... if you really wanted to. There is also the concept of design and presentation that many people just can't grasp.

Powerpoint has become an overblown piece of software (bloatware) that in the hands of people with no taste and large egos has become the centerpoint of some of the worse and dullest meetings I have ever attended.

Even though I hate powerpoint, there are some (and very few) people that have created some of the most incredible art I have ever seen using any software. ( there are also some people creating some incredile art on the etch a sketch - or crayons. But most people can't

Old 07-14-2011, 06:30 AM

15,404 posts, read 25,690,300 times
Quote:
If they want to bore their audience to death.

You are not getting it. I prefer the indesign/PDF combination. It just makes for a nicer, more professional looking presentation. That is just my opinion. I'm not telling everyone to use it.

There is a bit of a learning curve with indesign and it is more expensive. And you can incorporate flash into indesign and make a pdf presentation... if you really wanted to. There is also the concept of design and presentation that many people just can't grasp.

Powerpoint has become an overblown piece of software (bloatware) that in the hands of people with no taste and large egos has become the centerpoint of some of the worse and dullest meetings I have ever attended.

Even though I hate powerpoint, there are some (and very few) people that have created some of the most incredible art I have ever seen using any software. ( there are also some people creating some incredile art on the etch a sketch - or crayons. But most people can't
That's what we're saying. It's not the tool! It's the tools who are clueless about how to use the tool.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:00 AM

a loaded gun is a tool too. But there are some people just should be limited to accessing it.

I think we are all essentially on the same page.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:48 AM

16,486 posts, read 19,538,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
It's not the tool!
It's the tools who are clueless about how to use the tool.
OMG that's freaking brilliant. I am getting a T-Shirt made that says this.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:08 PM

15,404 posts, read 25,690,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
OMG that's freaking brilliant. I am getting a T-Shirt made that says this.
Make one for me.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:35 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,029,964 times
As a Quality Manager, interfacing with multiple customers, internal projects, etc., I use PPT quite a bit. I don't hate it, even tho' there are a few quirky / frustrating aspects of what it does. Definitely agree with others that it is nothing more than a tool - learn how to use it, properly, how to design, flow, layout, etc... don't jam a bunch of verbiage and/or images. And as plwhit mentioned earlier - do NOT hand out the damn presentation... ppl will not interface, nor pay attention, as much, cause they will read what is in front of them,,, many jumping ahead to the "gooder stuff", whatever may be interesting to them. lol - remember years ago, sooooo many tools were creating their slides, doing the animation this, animation that, and the various sound effects...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers