Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 02:52 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,502,784 times

Advertisements

My friend has an XP computer with a new ATT DSL modem/wifi router.

We were using a wifi device but I saw no indication in Network Properties that wifi was being used. I just saw the usual LAN and 1394 items, which is the same as when you are just using DSL.

Doesn't Windows XP display something to show you are using wifi?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 03:01 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,431,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
My friend has an XP computer with a new ATT DSL modem/wifi router.

We were using a wifi device but I saw no indication in Network Properties that wifi was being used. I just saw the usual LAN and 1394 items, which is the same as when you are just using DSL.

Doesn't Windows XP display something to show you are using wifi?
Ok, lets back up and grab some info real quick.

Is the machine capable of wifi? I.E. - does it have a wifi card? Device manager will tell you this.

Are you currently hooked up through a cable?

In XP, you can go to "My Network Places" and click on "View Network Connections" - the connection should be there.

Edit: Also, just in case there is some confusion, wifi is a pseudo-term for wireless LAN. It doesn't matter if you're using DSL over wifi or through a cable, it's still DSL (although probably slightly slower due to wifi's hefty overhead).

Old 07-12-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Ok, lets back up and grab some info real quick.

Is the machine capable of wifi? I.E. - does it have a wifi card? Device manager will tell you this.

Are you currently hooked up through a cable?

In XP, you can go to "My Network Places" and click on "View Network Connections" - the connection should be there.

Edit: Also, just in case there is some confusion, wifi is a pseudo-term for wireless LAN. It doesn't matter if you're using DSL over wifi or through a cable, it's still DSL (although probably slightly slower due to wifi's hefty overhead).
The computer is from late 2005 and I think it has no wifi card. The computer is hooked into the DSL modem router wifi (see link)

Amazon.com: AT&T 2701HG-B 2Wire Wireless Gateway DSL Router Modem: Electronics

I think I did Start>Control Panel>Network Connections.
It said "LAN or High Speed" in bold and then the two things were underneath, not bold.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:22 PM

I'm not so sure I understand then. How could you expect it to connect via wifi if it has no wifi card?

To reiterate, wifi is another term for wireless. Meaning instead of hooking a cable between the router and the computer, you use wireless signals to communicate between the two. It has nothing to do with the type of internet you have, the speed (well, to a point, but that's beyond the scope of this discussion), etc. It's the same ol' thing.

From what I can tell, the person used to have a regular, non wireless modem/router combo. They got a wireless modem/router from ATT, and replaced the old one. Is this correct?

Old 07-12-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I'm not so sure I understand then. How could you expect it to connect via wifi if it has no wifi card?

To reiterate, wifi is another term for wireless. Meaning instead of hooking a cable between the router and the computer, you use wireless signals to communicate between the two. It has nothing to do with the type of internet you have, the speed (well, to a point, but that's beyond the scope of this discussion), etc. It's the same ol' thing.

From what I can tell, the person used to have a regular, non wireless modem/router combo. They got a wireless modem/router from ATT, and replaced the old one. Is this correct?

No, they had a DSL modem that would not connect automatically.
Yes, they replaced it with the 2wire modem I mentioned.

They have a desktop computer that is old. I thought that would mean it has no wifi card.

When I say wifi, I mean you add a wifi access point to your desktop computer so that you can use wireless devices.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:36 PM

Ok, circling back, I guess the main question here is what is the goal here?

If you're wanting to connect your wifi-equipped phone to your PC, it ain't happening.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Ok, circling back, I guess the main question here is what is the goal here?

If you're wanting to connect your wifi-equipped phone to your PC, it ain't happening.
We had to replace the old modem and ATT only had the one that is a modem, router and wifi router.

The only wifi thing we had around was a Wii which is wifi-enabled, and it worked. I was just wondering why the desktop computer gave no indication that wifi was being used. It only indicated that the internet was connected, as it always does.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:45 PM

10,925 posts, read 21,960,129 times
Quote:
We had to replace the old modem and ATT only had the one that is a modem, router and wifi router.

The only wifi thing we had around was a Wii which is wifi-enabled, and it worked. I was just wondering why the desktop computer gave no indication that wifi was being used. It only indicated that the internet was connected, as it always does.
Desktop computers as a rule do not ship with a wifi card as standard equipment, you would have to have one installed. If you go to control panel > Network, and you don't see a wireless network connection, then you don't have one. If the computer has internet access your likely using an ethernet cable to connect to the router.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Desktop computers as a rule do not ship with a wifi card as standard equipment, you would have to have one installed. If you go to control panel > Network, and you don't see a wireless network connection, then you don't have one. If the computer has internet access your likely using an ethernet cable to connect to the router.
Well I'm confused. I set up the wifi connection on the Wii by selecting a 2Wire modem that was offered, and then entered the SSID printed on the botton of the modem, which, I was told by ATT, was the password for the wifi. Then I saw various webpages appear on the tv screen with the Wii.

At the same time, I saw no indication on the desktop computer that wifi was being used.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:33 PM

10,925 posts, read 21,960,129 times
Quote:
Well I'm confused. I set up the wifi connection on the Wii by selecting a 2Wire modem that was offered, and then entered the SSID printed on the botton of the modem, which, I was told by ATT, was the password for the wifi. Then I saw various webpages appear on the tv screen with the Wii.

At the same time, I saw no indication on the desktop computer that wifi was being used.
Why are you confused? What you do on the Wii has no relation to the desktop computer. The Wii has built in wifi, the desktop does not, they are two completely seperate devices. If the desktop does not have a wifi card to connect to the router than it will have to use the wired ethernet connection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers