Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 10:50 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Depends on the ISP, with some of them you have to change the modem to bridge mode and the router does the logon.
OK. I understand, but all I've done (`3-4 ISPs) have had the configuration done in the modem before the router was put into the flow of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 10:43 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
That doesn't make much sense for DSL based on my experience. The PPPoE account information is stored in the modem.
As far as I know, the data is saved on the router, behind the router's firewall. If it's only a modem connected to the computer (without a router), then the data is saved in the computer. I could be wrong, of course, but keep in mind that when you set the router you first have to access the router with an URL (address), and after all the data, including the firewall, are set, then one has to save it before exiting the router. Part of the process is assigning both a router and network passwords. If you don't assign a network password on the wireless router, then anybody can park on your driveway (for example), and connect to the Internet via your network

If I disconnect the router from the network, then the modem uses the "network" account in the computer to connect to the ISP, but the computer is wide open to the rest of the net once it connects though the ISP system, so any hacker can access or see your computer. The router shields the network from the net.
-------
That said, I am willing to learn, since it's very possible that I am wrong.

Last edited by RayinAK; 07-18-2011 at 11:09 PM..

Old 07-19-2011, 06:32 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
As far as I know, the data is saved on the router, behind the router's firewall. If it's only a modem connected to the computer (without a router), then the data is saved in the computer. I could be wrong, of course, but keep in mind that when you set the router you first have to access the router with an URL (address), and after all the data, including the firewall, are set, then one has to save it before exiting the router. Part of the process is assigning both a router and network passwords. If you don't assign a network password on the wireless router, then anybody can park on your driveway (for example), and connect to the Internet via your network

If I disconnect the router from the network, then the modem uses the "network" account in the computer to connect to the ISP, but the computer is wide open to the rest of the net once it connects though the ISP system, so any hacker can access or see your computer. The router shields the network from the net.
-------
That said, I am willing to learn, since it's very possible that I am wrong.
Here's what I know to be true. When Verizon ran the land line business, both in West Virginia and in New England, the PPPoE account name and password were typically stored in the DSL modem. I know one guy that ran his in bridge mode, but that was his own choice. I've been through configuration on several routers. Each one has an admin account with a name and password. This is for router configuration. Wireless routers also have a name and password for wireless access (SSID & Key), but these are not related to the access for the ISP. Once these things are set up, you can remove all the computers from the network and replace them with others and the access to the network will still work, indicating that the account information is not actively being used from any of the computers.

What I suspect is the problem for the OP is that the cable modem is remembering the MAC address of one of the computers and it may be necessary to copy that MAC address into the router.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:45 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
What I suspect is the problem for the OP is that the cable modem is remembering the MAC address of one of the computers and it may be necessary to copy that MAC address into the router.
That is the purpose of pulling power from the cable modem, to clear the previously connected device, I've had occasions where I've had to keep it unplugged for 10 minutes before it would work properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers