Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 07:02 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,890,714 times

Advertisements

Hello Arctic -

My apologies in replying late. I've been recovering from surgery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
I probably have the smallest living room, besides everyone else would have to fly to Alaska. An expensive dinner for sure.
No worries, that's why Betty Crocker & Sara Lee invented buffets... or was it TV dinners? No matter, either helps assuage space & cost. Interesting that I can fly from Boston to London in 5-hrs & cross country is an entire day. Perhaps the forum can meet in a UK pub... I'll be there in a few months to meet friends. I'm sure many of us will be dreadfully stuffed into uncomfortably small living rooms. Hopefully their appliances/electronics are better behaved than mine, yeah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw
SP 2 is pretty stable now. I waited awhile for them to get most the bugs out before I upgraded also. No don't try and go back to SP 1, first it is not supported and second the security of SP 2 seems better.

As for slower after upgrading, my opinion is the hardware on a computer is designed for a certain grade of Operating Sysytem. When you upgrade your Operating system you increasee the demands on the hardware, some of wich may not be compatible with the new OS. More demands mean more CPU speed and more memory. Thus a slower machine.
Fair enough, thank you for explaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw
If you upgrade your bios from the dell site. Make sure your read any install notes they may have. A fresh cup of coffee is recommended with a clear mind and lots of patience. Normaly this is a fast and simple proccess.
Thank you so much. I did the checkdisk today & all was well. Interestingly, once I had finished & rebooted for the final time, I received the aforementioned error message - "A problem has been detected & Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer..."

I'm still recovering, so within the next few days, I'll have time to slowly explore the Dell site for bios & video driver updates. Yes, I'll be careful to follow instructions exactly & will post back when finished.

If this doesn't help the problems, I'll then visit an ASAP site. A few weeks ago I registered with one & wanted to spend some time checking out other messages prior to posting.

Thanks so much again everyone for your help.

Have fun... VV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 11:26 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,442,889 times
Hopefully your surgery was a complete success! Your recovery swift!

Arcticthaw

Old 01-11-2008, 08:20 PM

Default Articthaw & SouthernLady...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
...one more thing you may try after the others is make sure your bios is up to date... Hope this helps.
Artic, thank you. I went through all the updates & it's helped my computer greatly. Some things I wasn't able to update... others I haven't yet gotten to (perhaps 6 are left)... but I'll finish soon. I have dial-up (stop laughing), so quickness in downloading is an issue.

Southern, I didn't need to work with the ASAP site yet... & hopefully it won't ever be that complex. Thank you for all the info you've shared. It's been very helpful.

Hope you both had very Happy Holidays & thank you again for all your help... VV

Old 01-11-2008, 09:19 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
I just kind of breezed through this thread and didn't read all of the posts in depth but I did notice that she said she had Norton AND Mcafee?!?! No wonder you have problems! The two cannot be run on the same computer. I promise you, you are in for a world of hurt trying to run those two on the same computer together! That's a big NO NO!

Anyway, I don't think that's the root cause of your problem. What I would do is run an MSCONFIG.

Go to "Start" then "Run" and type "Msconfig" - without quotes. There will be several different tabs. Click on the one that says "Startup" and uncheck everything to see how your computer runs. This will eliminate any background programs from starting up. My guess is that when you run the system restore you are also loading all that garbage software manufacturer's put on the computer so you're not really fixing the problem. If you look in the bottom right hand corner of your windows taskbar I bet there are a ton of icons down there aren't there? Those are all programs running in the background!

Now, when you stop all these programs from coming up on boot up you are also stopping your virus scan from starting. You have one of two options. Either completely erase all your virus scan software, run the 'startup configuration' and then load the your virus scan software back up or just uncheck everything and every time you boot up click on the virus scan to make sure it's running.

Your computer will run a lot more efficiently this way. Adding a stick or two of memory won't hurt either.

Edit: You will have to reboot before your "MSconfig" settings take place. When you reboot watch how fast the computer boots up after unchecking all those items.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:49 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Follow what Liz is telling you.

An easy cleanup: Ccleaner CCleaner - Download

Excellent program with one warning: When installing watch for a screen with a group of check boxes. Remove the check from the bottom box (Yahoo Tool bar).

I use this program daily and it really keeps the junk to a minimum. Do read the list of items it will clear (left on the program screen) as it will delete some items that you might use.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I just kind of breezed through this thread and didn't read all of the posts in depth but I did notice that she said she had Norton AND Mcafee?!?! No wonder you have problems! The two cannot be run on the same computer. I promise you, you are in for a world of hurt trying to run those two on the same computer together! That's a big NO NO!
Hi GCS -

Thanks for your reply. Both virus programs are not loaded. I only run Norton, but also own McAfee. You must have misunderstood as you mentioned not reading all the posts.

Quote:
Go to "Start" then "Run" and type "Msconfig" - without quotes. There will be several different tabs. Click on the one that says "Startup" and uncheck everything to see how your computer runs. This will eliminate any background programs from starting up. My guess is that when you run the system restore you are also loading all that garbage software manufacturer's put on the computer so you're not really fixing the problem. If you look in the bottom right hand corner of your windows taskbar I bet there are a ton of icons down there aren't there? Those are all programs running in the background!
There aren't any unused icons. Liz addressed this before with me. I had only 1-2 unused icons & she had me delete them. I also haven't had to do a restore for quite some time, since I've been doing the following:

1. Running "Disk Cleanup" before I shut down everytime. Liz mentioned that IE causes this... but... every single time I download another browser, my system crawls and/or it's too complicated for me to use - case in point Firefox. I use Netscape dialup (I know... but this is what I've got... I don't have cable & can't afford wireless service right now) & especially when I use Netscape browser, I get constant freezing, sadly, as I like the browser. So, I deleted Netscape browser & just use IE. I know... big eyeroll on many techies out there... but, you have to remember that all of us are not home computer savvy, even if we've worked on mainframes in the past. If someone gives me instructions & leaves any little detail out, I'm lost & can't often figure out how to retrace steps without a lot of time & great difficulty. I can, however, follow directions to the letter, which is why I post here... for those of you in the know who have patience with neophytes, such as myself...

2. Downloaded urgent/recommended updates, as per Arcticthaw. This helped immensely after completing the first 2 recommended updates. I had 18+ in total to do & have 4 more to go to finish. I can't tie up my phone line all day, so it's taking me awhile to complete.

3. Liz also had me go through & delete programs I didn't use/need somewhere way back in this thread. I found I had multiple picture programs (5, I think) downloaded (which were free with my computer), but I don't use them & probably never will. Deleting them significantly increased speed. A couple of programs, I must admit, are a mystery to me, so I've left them.

Quote:
Now, when you stop all these programs from coming up on boot up you are also stopping your virus scan from starting. You have one of two options. Either completely erase all your virus scan software, run the 'startup configuration' and then load the your virus scan software back up or just uncheck everything and every time you boot up click on the virus scan to make sure it's running.

Your computer will run a lot more efficiently this way. Adding a stick or two of memory won't hurt either.
Again, my palms sweat when I'm told to delete everything, because without major time/stress, I can't get back to where I was beforehand. Someone listed instructions before for doing a run & printing off "something" with field indicators... 01, 02, 03... saying to delete 04's that are not needed. As I'm not a techie, I don't have any idea what's necessary & what's fluff. He indicated if I weren't sure, to leave them. So, I did.

Someone else mentioned booting "sticks" separately. First, Liz had to tell me that sticks refer to memory, I don't know how to boot them separately & I'm not taking my laptop apart, because I know when something is far beyond my capability.

When I ran the MSCONFIG as you suggested... I can't tell what 75% of the lines of code refer to. Do I need quickset, apoint or the 12 program files listed? I don't even know what they are... Aside from Bluetooth (which I naively admit I have no idea what it is... although I tried to look it up & read about, but don't understand... told you, you're much more advanced than I), I don't see anything in the system tray icons that are extraneous. I don't even know if my laptop uses Bluetooth.

I was mainly concerned with the constant freezing/reboots necessary before I did the above... which now seem to have stopped. I've only had to reboot after getting the blue error screen, once in 2-mos. I used to get it continuously.

Since Arctic told me about the MS updates (I didn't know about these before), I can now do this regularly. Again, I can follow instructions... but unless I'm told I can do "something", I don't even know what to look for. I learn as I go & keep great notes so I can retrace steps in the future, should I need to.

Thanks again. I appreciate all the help I'm given... but as you see, I am at a disadvantage on the knowledge front so need handholding with every step.

Have fun... VV

Old 01-12-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Follow what Liz is telling you.

An easy cleanup: Ccleaner CCleaner - Download

Excellent program with one warning: When installing watch for a screen with a group of check boxes. Remove the check from the bottom box (Yahoo Tool bar).

I use this program daily and it really keeps the junk to a minimum. Do read the list of items it will clear (left on the program screen) as it will delete some items that you might use.
Hi Tek -

Thank you. I ran into some sort of snag with CC... I was able to do the run, but had to purchase the program so that I could complete the process of deleting the programs. Then, someone suggested that perhaps not all sites are free... so, I may have to delete the one I downloaded & attempt again. This is all new stuff to me, so I'm doing my best to absorb all the info. I've no problem paying for it, but if it's available for free, I'd prefer to find it.

Thanks for the reminder & the tips. I do remember that I had a significant amount to be deleted, but couldn't. I'll run it again & see what happens. If not, I'll try your download site.

Thanks so much... VV

Old 01-12-2008, 02:03 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Here I sit laughing at myself. I didn't realize that this was the same thread!

Sounds like you're getting closer to resolution except for that blue screen.

In case you want Microsofts take on it here is their page concerning 0x0000007e errors.

How to troubleshoot a Stop 0x0000007E error in Windows XP

One of your earlier posts: You mentioned that after cleaning out a ton of stuff (cache, etc) you're laptop ran slow on the 'Net. Yes. The files you delete are stored parts of web pages, mostly graphics. They are stored so that the next time you go to that site the computer doesn't have to download them again, which is time consuming. No big deal if you're on broadband, but not so good if you're on dial up.

When was that pub date?

Old 01-12-2008, 03:23 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,442,889 times
Hi KittensPurr,

I'm glad to see your making progress. Not knowing how old your laptop is, I was wondering if it had a wireless network card? If you do you may be able to go to the local library or university and use their system to access the internet. Lots of times this is free and easy to setup.

If you don't know off the top of your head, then you can look in the following place to see if the card is installed and available.
One method is to type the service code into Dell's support website to look at the factory hardware configuration.

OR From the Start button you can go to Start, My Network Places, in Network tasks, click on View network connections, Under Lan or high-speed-internet you should see two Local area connections. One will be your local area connection for the plug on the computer, the other should be Wireless network connection. If you have a wireless network connection then we can help you make sure it is set up and when you wish to download some large file a short drive or walk to the library may be the ticket.

Well its just an idea.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Here I sit laughing at myself. I didn't realize that this was the same thread!
Hi Tek -

Sorry? Am I not supposed to update a thread? I have been doing it for ease of those who may respond now... since this issue has been ongoing for awhile. I'm attempting to prevent wasting the time of those who so kindly take their time to make suggestions (they can look back through the post to see steps taken in the past) & so I don't have to answer the same q's. If I'm not aware of the forum rules & am supposed to create another post, please let me know, otherwise I'll continue to add updates to this one.

Quote:
Sounds like you're getting closer to resolution except for that blue screen.
Actually, now, I've only gotten the blue screen once in 2-mos. This stopped happening after Arctic had me download suggested updates at the MS site. Interestingly, they weren't urgent updates, but recommended that made the difference. I still have a few more to update, but will finish this upcoming week. Dealing with surgeries/recovery, so don't always have the right mindset to begin changing anything. Anytime I screwed up my computer, it's always been while being overly tired & thinking "I'll just delete/change this one thing before I go to bed..." Bad idea, I've found.

Quote:
In case you want Microsofts take on it here is their page concerning 0x0000007e errors.

How to troubleshoot a Stop 0x0000007E error in Windows XP
Thank you very much. I've scanned through it & will have to sit down to absorb it in a day or 2. This should be helpful. Upon first glance, I think it was that Bios update Arctic had me download that fixed the bluescreen/error problem.

May I ask, do you always go to support.micorsoft for this info? I'm sometimes lost on which site to use or do you do google searches to find this info? I'd like to know how to begin to look this up myself, saving everyone from my basic posts requesting help, which I should be able to find on my own in the future.

Quote:
The files you delete are stored parts of web pages, mostly graphics. They are stored so that the next time you go to that site the computer doesn't have to download them again, which is time consuming. No big deal if you're on broadband, but not so good if you're on dial up.
Thank you for explaining this... makes sense. Speed seems to have been corrected now, too, after doing recommended updates. I do at times, have oddities... such as icons that appear in my system tray today, but not tomorrow. My printer icon (which normally isn't there) is doing a constant search today (only happened twice before), but, I don't even see Epson in my Startup programs. I don't use my printer daily, so don't need it to load upon startup, unless this is normal that the printer is in Startup?

My biggest problem/mystery now is I can't use any backup devices for my Word docs (that was another post I was going to update) & sadly lost hundreds of them. I'm denied permission from opening any files on my secure key... this has been the case for 9-mos. I didn't try reformatting it & reloading... not sure if that would help? My zip drive isn't compatible with my laptop, although I downloaded the necessary patch from the MS site. I could burn a CD, but it's not really helpful as Word is the only program I use constantly, changing/adding many docs daily. I have a small floppy (A drive), which works fine, but I can't copy all my docs onto 1 & it would be cumbersome to backup 10-discs daily. Ah, well... I'll catch up, test each backup device again & update the other post.

Quote:
When was that pub date?
Sorry? Pub date of what?

Thanks again for your help & patience... VV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers