Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 12:02 PM

332 posts, read 529,437 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I would like to know which flash drives you would recommend that has the best features for good enough value. Let me know who makes the drives, the specific name of the drives, and its specifications including GB size, and their prices as well as a couple of stores where I might be able to find them. Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 12:47 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,059,955 times
I like SanDisk's Cruzer series. They are really cheap on eBay, you can get a 4 GB for around $5-8 shipped.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:07 PM

16,728 posts, read 15,727,874 times
There's a PNY 4GB flash drive in sales until Saturday at Staples for 6.99.

Now, that being said, what kind of features are you asking about?

Generally, I'd rather have a flash drive with a retractable USB connector because I keep losing the caps. Some people prefer to have one with encryption software on it. Store N Go has good encryption software.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:38 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,693,855 times
I was looking last night for a 32gb flash on newegg. There are so many I have trouble deciding. Have to do some research. Some seem not to work on windows xp I would suggest getting one that you can attach to a key chain or something or else you will probably lose it.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:16 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,443,585 times
I prefer the Sandisk Cruzer series as well. I like the slide-in feature and none of the 9 I have have failed me yet.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:24 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,756,140 times
I had a problem with a PNY device once and spent a month trying to make contact with the company. I received zero responses from them.

I'll never buy a prioduct from them again...

What I do buy is is OCZ Rally through Newegg. I have multiple drives of increasing capacity an I have never had one fail. My current drive (8GB Rally 2) I've had since March of 2008. I carry it in my pants pocket. Not a single glitch, ever.

I just checked my purchase history and I paid less for 2-8GB drives in March of 08 than I did for a single 4gb drive in October of 06.

Edit: It looks like Newegg no loner carries OCZ Flsh drives so I would check Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...sb+flash+drive

Old 08-12-2011, 11:44 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,872,495 times
A lot of flash memory (USB flash disks and memory cards) on Ebay are counterfeit. I've found that the faster flash disks are worth the higher price if you are moving a lot of data. The red & black Corsair Voyagers have worked well for me.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:23 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,443,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
A lot of flash memory (USB flash disks and memory cards) on Ebay are counterfeit. I've found that the faster flash disks are worth the higher price if you are moving a lot of data. The red & black Corsair Voyagers have worked well for me.
I have a regular blue voyager and I like it although the casing does collect dust and pocket lint pretty easily, and I have lost the end cap.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:32 PM

16,559 posts, read 19,755,274 times
Am I the only one that read the thread title and thought "ok so then go buy one....".

Really you do not need a ton of advice when it comes to a flash drive. I've used so many types of flash drives and I honestly see almost no difference between the expensive ones and the cheap ones.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:27 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,851,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Am I the only one that read the thread title and thought "ok so then go buy one....".

Really you do not need a ton of advice when it comes to a flash drive. I've used so many types of flash drives and I honestly see almost no difference between the expensive ones and the cheap ones.
My thoughts exactly. I have cheap Chinese ones that I got for free from conventions that I use all the time that work just as well as the Sandisk Cruzer that I bought. Most people are going to just copy some documents to them and the cheapest one you can find will do just fine.

Its not like you are going to keep your only copy of something important on a flash drive that could easily get lost or damaged anyway......well unless you are an idiot. lol If one stops working, just get another $2 flash drive and copy the files over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers