Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-11-2011, 12:10 PM
 
332 posts, read 528,444 times
Reputation: 98

Advertisements

It's me again. In this post, because I might not get the flash drive right away, I'm also trying to upgrade from Windows Vista on my laptop to Windows 7. I don't want to lose my data, so I want to save it on a blank CD before I start the upgrade. Which CDs do you recommend? What are their prices and what stores can I buy them at? Thanks again!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-11-2011, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Northeast NE
696 posts, read 1,724,438 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael212 View Post
It's me again. In this post, because I might not get the flash drive right away, I'm also trying to upgrade from Windows Vista on my laptop to Windows 7. I don't want to lose my data, so I want to save it on a blank CD before I start the upgrade. Which CDs do you recommend? What are their prices and what stores can I buy them at? Thanks again!!!
CDs only save 650-700 MB
If you have that little to back up, you may consider free
online storage.
Megaupload.com
Adrive.com
Photobucket.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2011, 02:26 PM
 
Location: Whittier
3,004 posts, read 6,264,457 times
Reputation: 3082
If you had the flash drive handy Windows Easy Transfer really works nice for quick back-ups and restores. It places everything where you left it.

Windows Easy Transfer - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows

But if you're somehow in a rush, any CD will do. Although as it was mentioned, they aren't very big...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2011, 02:33 PM
 
7,372 posts, read 14,663,145 times
Reputation: 7045
Buy a flash drive and love it forever or buy your cds/dvds both at newegg.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2011, 03:18 PM
 
2,182 posts, read 5,431,984 times
Reputation: 1214
When you upgrade, your data isn't lost. Even in a full install initiated by disc, Windows creates a "windows.old" folder and stuffs your stuff into it.

That said, I always err on the side of caution so I would get the thumb drive (they're so very cheap) and be done with it.

Easiest way to back up is to go to your Users folder (documents and settings in XP) and copy the visible folders inside your profile (don't copy the whole folder, because the appdata folder is GINORMOUS and it'll take a billion years to move)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2011, 03:36 PM
 
28,803 posts, read 47,635,745 times
Reputation: 37905
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
If you had the flash drive handy Windows Easy Transfer really works nice for quick back-ups and restores. It places everything where you left it.

Windows Easy Transfer - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows

But if you're somehow in a rush, any CD will do. Although as it was mentioned, they aren't very big...
This using a flash drive. And don't upgrade from Vista to 7. Do a complete reinstall of 7 and format the partition during install.

We did an upgrade on Mrs. Teks laptop and it sucks. I'm going to do a full install when I get the go ahead from her.

And...

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/win7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 06:35 AM
 
Location: West Virginia
16,659 posts, read 15,617,687 times
Reputation: 10886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
This using a flash drive. And don't upgrade from Vista to 7. Do a complete reinstall of 7 and format the partition during install.

We did an upgrade on Mrs. Teks laptop and it sucks. I'm going to do a full install when I get the go ahead from her.

And...

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/win7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media (broken link)
You're a wise man, Mr. Tek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top