U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 04:34 AM

426 posts, read 1,170,177 times

Advertisements

Hope someone can help me.I don't know a lot about computers and the one I have is old one from 2003. I am still running on Windows XP.
Recently I have been unable to get onto Google. When I type it in, it says 404 not found nginx.
I had been on youtube watching videos and when I tried to get full screen it won't let me, the screen is black, but has sound. It plays small screen. I tried accessing youtube and I get the not found screen.
I know that I need to update my windows as the broswer keeps saying I need to update on a lot of other programs.Does this Google problem have to anything do with my XP? Do I have a virus, is Google/ youtube being blocked?
I had Google Chrome installed on my computer, but I removed it thinking Google was somehow blocking the youtube account. I tried to reinstall it and it would'nt let me.
I do not know what else to do. I also tried a system restore, that did'nt help either. At one point before I noticed all this had happened I had a warning on my screen saying Google Chrome had crashed.I think that is when all this started.
If I watch a youtube video on a different site other than youtube, I can get full screen.
As I said I am not that knowlegeable with computers.Can someone give me some advice on what to do? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 05:00 AM

40,897 posts, read 42,396,862 times
This is generally not the greatest suggestion to fix software issues until they get severe but since it's from 2003...Have you ever done a full reformat/reinstall of Windows?

It's probably your best bet. It will fix any problems you have on the software end and probably speed it up a lot.

How you go about that depends on your machine and it will probably require the original restore disc.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:10 AM

12,026 posts, read 11,470,994 times
My guess, without further information, is that this is a memory problem. Dating from 2003, the computer probably has only 512 MB of memory. Nobody has ever configured Internet Explorer to run a little more efficiently by changing the history storage to only 1 or 0 days instead of 20. Nobody has ever deleted the Temporary Internet Files or Cookies. Now there are problems trying to access websites.

Start Internet Explorer, Tools, Options, Delete Temporary Internet Files.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:02 PM

Default Google

Coalman, are you saying that I should put in the original Windows XP disc in again and redo it? If so would'nt I have to reinstall the one that is on there already? I am not even sure where it is. I will have to look.
I will also try what the other person suggested.
I have a Dell 4600 C and these are the specs that I know about Pentel 4 cpu
2.80 GHz 2.79 GHz 512 MB Windows XP 2002 service pack 3.
Thanks for help from all.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:09 PM

mensaguy, I tried deleting the files .Same thing, happens.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:18 PM

Default Google

I found the disc. Will that screw up my internet service? I have AT& T broadband the lowest one. I hate calling them for service.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:08 AM

20,837 posts, read 20,833,251 times
Don't know if this has anything to do with your problem or not but I wanted to use my older PC(XP) yesterday after not using it since just last week and could not get Google to open searched pages or Google maps to function.
Cleared the cache/deleted files,etc thing ....nothing.
Then checked for and installed Windows updates.....no problem after that.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:25 AM

40,897 posts, read 42,396,862 times
Kathy word of warning, if you continue with these directions any programs you have installed since you purchased the computer will be lost as will be any personal files you have. You'll want to copy those files to an external hard drive, you'll also want to export any other things like web browser bookmarks, emails etc.

Not familiar with the exact procedures for Dell but you'll probably have two choices here, there is probably a restore partition on your computer. From this restore partition you'll be able to set your computer back to it's original configuration when you purchased it. The second option since you have the disc should allow you to do just an install of windows without all the software that came with it. Personally my choice is the second since it's mostly crap they give you anyway.

If you want to continue let me know. Again this is generally not the way you fix software issues, you should be able to fix them with less severe measures however since your install is so old it's exactly what I would be doing.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:09 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,127,870 times
I think if you could afford it, get a new computer. Get somebody to transfer all the files you want to keep.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:04 PM

Default google

I just tried loading all the available Xp downloads. Took a few hours and that still did not work.
I was reading there is a 32 bit and a 64 bit version. The 64 bit version is supported until 2014. I am assuming I have the 32 bit. I don't know where to find out what version I have.
I will try putting the original XP disc back in and see what happens.
I can not afford a new computer. At this point I don't even know if my system is compatible for Windows 7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers