U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2011, 09:58 AM

33,031 posts, read 22,837,240 times

Advertisements

I have an older laptop with 512MB RAM and one USB 1.1 port running XP Pro.

I would like to get a printer and scanner to go with it.

Will the peripherals slow down the laptop? Perhaps I should upgrade to 1024 MB? Would it be better to get a desktop to go with the peripherals? I'll need a USB hub for the added devices, will a 2.0 device plug into a 1.1 port (I believe it will, want to be sure)? Which would be preferable, separate printer and scanner or an all-in-one device?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 10:08 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,406,548 times
A new laptop is where you should start.

USB 1.1 is technology from the 90's, though 2.0 devices will work, they will operate at 1.1 speed, which is 12mbps, vs 480mbps for 2.0.

What operating system are you running?

Old 09-19-2011, 10:44 PM

16,782 posts, read 29,548,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
A new laptop is where you should start.

USB 1.1 is technology from the 90's, though 2.0 devices will work, they will operate at 1.1 speed, which is 12mbps, vs 480mbps for 2.0.

+1

I would buy a new laptop (or desktop), plus one of Epson network-ready do all printers such as the Workforce 615 or 630 (around $112.00 each). These printers can be connected to the network via WIFI, Ethernet, or USB. Mine is connoted to the network via the router with an Ethernet cord. So, I can send a print, scan, or whatever WIFI signal to the printer from any of the computers at home.

By the way, I bought a MacBook Pro at an educational discount ($100.00), and the printer as a promotional discount of $100.00 at the Apple Store. On top of that, I was also offered a "Back to School $100.00 gift card that I can use to buy apps. So, I only paid $49.00 for the printer (it costs $149.00 at Apple).

That said, the scanner/printer should not slowdown the laptop much, but why using old technology? I PC laptop can be had for around $300.00, so I would just buy a new one.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:58 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,731,139 times
Firstly, I'm not really sure I'm understanding this thread very much...if you need a printer, get a printer. If you need a new laptop, get a new laptop. I don't see the correlation. Printing and scanning isn't a very intensive task. Yeah, it'll take a while on 1.1, but if you're already putting up with how old/slow it is, I'm sure you won't notice it.

Second, I prefer separate components, because dedicated items come with their own reviews, features, etc. to review and compare. Plus if one goes out, the whole thing doesn't devalue or become inoperable.

Lastly, 1.1 and 2.0 are compatible.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
running XP Pro.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
+1

I would buy a new laptop (or desktop), plus one of Epson network-ready do all printers such as the Workforce 615 or 630 (around $112.00 each). These printers can be connected to the network via WIFI, Ethernet, or USB. Mine is connoted to the network via the router with an Ethernet cord. So, I can send a print, scan, or whatever WIFI signal to the printer from any of the computers at home.

By the way, I bought a MacBook Pro at an educational discount ($100.00), and the printer as a promotional discount of $100.00 at the Apple Store. On top of that, I was also offered a "Back to School $100.00 gift card that I can use to buy apps. So, I only paid $49.00 for the printer (it costs $149.00 at Apple).

That said, the scanner/printer should not slowdown the laptop much, but why using old technology? I PC laptop can be had for around $300.00, so I would just buy a new one.

Thanks, I was hoping it would be simpler (cheaper) than a new (faster) laptop, I don't have an educational discount or anything like that.

I live on a shoestring and the $68 I paid for this laptop seemed an extravagant purchase for me.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Firstly, I'm not really sure I'm understanding this thread very much...if you need a printer, get a printer. If you need a new laptop, get a new laptop. I don't see the correlation. Printing and scanning isn't a very intensive task. Yeah, it'll take a while on 1.1, but if you're already putting up with how old/slow it is, I'm sure you won't notice it.

Second, I prefer separate components, because dedicated items come with their own reviews, features, etc. to review and compare. Plus if one goes out, the whole thing doesn't devalue or become inoperable.

Lastly, 1.1 and 2.0 are compatible.

Yeah, I thought all I needed was a printer/scanner and perhaps more RAM, but after reading the replies it looks like I really do need a new (or at least newer/faster) laptop.

I'm planning on doing a lot of scanning and printing and it sounds like 1.1 speed will be painfully slow for that.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:13 AM

4,251 posts, read 12,850,892 times
I have an older laptop ("born" 2005) running XP Home with the "slow" USB ports and I use an older HP printer (probably same vintage), attached of course to the laptop in a USB port. I have zero issues with the printer having any effect on the speed of my laptop. Maybe you could find an older printer/scanner and use that.

I can tell you that my new desktop (Win7) does not like the drivers of my printer and separate older(??!?) scanner (2009). I had to search the 'net for similar drivers that Win7 would accept. So buying a new laptop isn't the best option if you can't also buy a new printer/scanner to go with it.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:29 AM

12,004 posts, read 14,133,987 times
I agree with Kazyn. You don't NEED NEED a new laptop. That one will print and scan fine.

I might suggest looking into a new laptop ONLY BECAUSE if you are going to do some serious scanning I am going to guess the hard drive on that old laptop is probably 30-50GB at best.
You might need more space for all your scans.

Also Dell makes a nice wifi all-in-one that is around $80. I also agree with the poster that said seperate devices are better. But if cost is an issue, or space, I can't NOT recommend a good all-in-one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or