U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2011, 07:45 AM

7,373 posts, read 13,961,722 times

Advertisements

Trying to burn some stuff. Never had a problem before. Looked this up on google and there are too many answers. One is obivoulsy my burner is dirty. I cleaned it as best I could. Two was my burner is dieing. Three is the media im using. Using same media as always. Ive had this problem before. For some reason the problem stopped, not sure what i did to fix it.

Any suggestions?

Oh also using a Lite-on LH something or another with a bunch of numbers and winxp. I actually think lite on went out of business but anyways my firmware is as up to date as it can be

Last edited by skel1977; 10-11-2011 at 08:14 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 09:56 AM

16,294 posts, read 27,060,096 times
Burners are not forever, I replaced one just the other week as burns were failing with write errors. Not sure if was the laser was on its last, or the positioning mechanism was wearing. It has burned a lot of DVDs over the last couple of years.

A new one for $20 and no more write errors.

You don't need to worry about the brand, just the interface (IDE or SATA) and features. Most will support all CD/DVD formats including DL (dual layer). Options some may need or want, LightScribe, DVD-RAM, Blue Ray (this will bump the price significantly)

Old 10-11-2011, 10:40 AM

I checked Lite ON website but they seem to have went out of business, anyone know if this is true?

Anyways i ordered

Newegg.com - ASUS USB 2.0 8X Slim external DVD burner Model SDRW-08D2S-U/D-BK

10 mail in rebate so not too bad

Old 10-11-2011, 11:08 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,240,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
I checked Lite ON website but they seem to have went out of business, anyone know if this is true?

Anyways i ordered

Newegg.com - ASUS USB 2.0 8X Slim external DVD burner Model SDRW-08D2S-U/D-BK

10 mail in rebate so not too bad
Not sure if Lite ON went under, but I've stopped buying their DVD's after having a lot of trouble / failure with a number of them. I think that we've probably lost 6 or 7 out of 8 or 10 of them within a few years of purchase, and all with relatively low use.

The ASUS is a good deal, may have to get one of them myself for my server.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:04 AM

Odered it Monday(labor day) and when i got home from work it was waiting for me on my doorstep. Now thats quick delivery!

Anyways the burner works fine although it uses 2 USB ports which I find odd but its self powered. Its super thin and can be quite loud. I set it down on top of my computer without the stand and it almost vibrated right off lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers