Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 10:03 PM

15,131 posts, read 32,375,941 times

Advertisements

I have an almost 10 year old PC ((Dell Dimension 2350) that I plan to replace by the end of the year.

My neighbor just bought an HP Pavilion p2-1013wb for $398.99 at Walmart. These are the specifications:

AMD e-450 1.6GHZ
3GB memory
500gb hard drive

Is this a decent computer or a piece of junk? I have a Dell, and would never buy one again.

This is what mine does:

Virtual memory too low. Windows is increasing the amount of memory.
Out of memory at line ___.
Physical dump of memory
IE has encountered an error and needs to close
You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused windows to stop performing.
Freezes on me (not responding) – have to turn it off, turn it on, wait for it to reboot, then do a defrag and a disk cleanup. This happens 10+ times or more per day, and sometimes right after it’s been done.
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. BAD_POOL_CALLER
The system has recovered from a serious error.
Will not install Windows Updates anymore, only goes through the motions and the icon continually shows in the desk tray.
Does a chk dsk C & F
Stack overflow at Line ___

I feel like throwing it out the window most of the time.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 10:05 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,554,295 times
I've had Dells self-destruct in 1/3 of that time! Good riddance.

Many HPs in the house. No complaints. All of them taken out of service by overuse.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:10 PM

The first year I had my Dell, it crashed twice. Luckily, it was still under warranty. The sound has never worked, so I got rid of the speakers. I've had the CD drive replaced twice, just for installing programs, since without sound, I can't watch/listen to CDs.

I'm contemplating having a friend's husband build me a new one. He worked in IT before he lost his job in 2009. If he builds me one, I have lifetime free support, which is very appealing.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:19 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,485,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I'm contemplating having a friend's husband build me a new one. He worked in IT before he lost his job in 2009. If he builds me one, I have lifetime free support, which is very appealing.
Which is why he won't build it if he's smart.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:20 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,485,700 times
Your computer is ancient, you've installed God knows how much crap on it over the years, and its all Dell's fault? OK.

That's HP at Walmart isn't great, but at this point a $50 junker off Craigslist is better than your ancient computer.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Your computer is ancient, you've installed God knows how much crap on it over the years, and its all Dell's fault? OK.

Yes, my computer is ancient, but I don't (and never have) installed crap on it. As soon as I got it, I deleted the games, since I have no use for them.

That's HP at Walmart isn't great, but at this point a $50 junker off Craigslist is better than your ancient computer.
I won't be buying an HP from Walmart, nor a $50 junker off Craigslist. I spoke to my friend's husband earlier this year about building me a new one, and he quoted me a price, which wasn't a problem.

An old, slow computer is better than spending an hour a day at the library, and at least I get things done, even if they take a while. Since I lost my job, I partially work from home, and upgrading is essential.

There's no need to get snarky about my question, I only asked for suggestions.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:17 AM

16,722 posts, read 15,724,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I won't be buying an HP from Walmart, nor a $50 junker off Craigslist. I spoke to my friend's husband earlier this year about building me a new one, and he quoted me a price, which wasn't a problem.

An old, slow computer is better than spending an hour a day at the library, and at least I get things done, even if they take a while. Since I lost my job, I partially work from home, and upgrading is essential.

There's no need to get snarky about my question, I only asked for suggestions.
Nevertheless, you're blaming Dell for problems that are mostly with Microsoft Windows (not all, just most). It's almost certain that Windows is so out of date that it can't even get to the Windows Update site any more. A computer that old is probably running with 256 MB of RAM, which is totally inadequate now, when new computers never ship with less that 2 GB.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:11 AM

I'm not blaming Dell for any problems, except for the initial problems the first year, and the sound. I know the computer is old, I bought it in the spring of 2003. I'm going to have a new one built before the end of the year, and was just asking for suggestions and opinions on the Walmart computer that my neighbor bought.

My neighbor knows nothing about computers, and I thought I could get an opinion on the computer that he bought here.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:18 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,324,611 times
What exactly do you plan on doing with the new computer? How long do you want to keep it before you will want to upgrade to a new PC? Whats your budget?

Answer these questions and you might get some constructive responses.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:57 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,693,075 times
Buy this ****. Its sweet. Only cost you about 900 dollars or 750 if you put it together yourself

You will play wow and be like oh ****!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...og&sa=N&tab=wi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers