Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2011, 04:30 AM

89 posts, read 133,668 times

Advertisements

When Austrian law student Max Schrems requested Facebook to provide him a record of the personal data it holds on him, he received 1,222 pages of information which included photos, messages and postings, some of which he thought he had deleted, the times he had 'like' an item, 'poke' a friend and reams of other info.
Schrems said, "When you delete something from Facebook, all you are doing is hiding it from yourself."

And according to Jacqui Chang of “Ars Technica” the direct links to deleted Facebook photos stay active for at least 16 months—possibly forever! This means anyone who has a direct link to the image can still view it.

I'd like to know your take on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 07:24 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,754,100 times
That's one reason I'm scared of joining Facebook. Maybe one day the gov will use it to track you down. Facebook just gathers all the data about you and you can't delete it.

Sometimes I think I should join Facebook with a totally fake name and profile.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:34 AM

16,557 posts, read 19,741,898 times
The government is looking for you Jesse?
Trust me when I tell you: they don't need Facebook to find you.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:26 AM

89 posts, read 133,668 times
I know of kids under 13 years of age who are on FB. Lord knows what they post about themselves, kids being kids. Just a couple of days ago, I alerted my neighbour whose 9 year-old son uploaded a pic of himself naked when he was a toddler. I saw it on my son's FB. His mom deleted the pic but I'm sure it is still in cyberspace somewhere, immortalized online for eternity, perhaps returning to haunt him someday.

I think FB should raise the minimum age requirement to 18. What do you think?

Old 11-14-2011, 09:39 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,442,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
The government is looking for you Jesse?
Trust me when I tell you: they don't need Facebook to find you.
Took the text right from my fingers.

If you're running from the government, the last thing you need to do is be on a computer, much less facebook

Old 11-18-2011, 11:30 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,108,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rummer View Post
I'd like to know your take on this.
Given Facebook's track record: Duh.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:52 AM

61,875 posts, read 87,361,740 times
Its not only Facebook. People do not realize that whatever they post on Internet stays there pretty much FOREVER. Doesn't matter if deleted or not. But the fact does not seem to stop people from posting silly, stupid, embarrassing and absurd things; information about themselves and others that will haunt them forever.
The most frightening fact is that they carelessly post private and sometimes intimate information about their friends, family and kids (name, address, phone or cell numbers, school, what they do, about their physical and mental condition, who lost a job, who bought a car, who got divorced etc.) in text or through pictures often against the will and knowledge of people that want to stay private.
When you surf the Internet, you often stumble upon a blog or social networking site and see something that makes you wonder why people share embarrassing information online. They not only post their true names and actual photographs, they also share juicy details of their personal lives like tales of binge drinking or casual romantic encounters. People that might think twice about sharing personal and sensitive information in face-to-face conversations with co-workers and new acquaintances have no problem with sharing it in online social networking activities.
People post resumes that include hobbies, past employers, past addresses, and professional associations. People post highly personal and identifiable information on blogs. They don't understand that every detail they share online about their life and the extended group of people they interact with is stored somewhere and accessible to anyone forever.

Last edited by elnina; 11-19-2011 at 01:13 AM..

Old 11-20-2011, 03:15 AM

80 posts, read 146,688 times
Advanced iterations of information technology like Facebook are incredibly hard to understand, I've been on a couple of times and didn't understand even a quarter of their "Privacy" settings or what they actually meant. E-mail and forums like this is comparatively very easy stuff to use.

The average user on Facebook might think that if you set a post or album to "Friends only" then only logged-in friends ever get to see the pictures or post. That would follow logic. But it isn't that way, not even close. And this is why the book of face needs to be dragged into the courts. I don't know if they are "commercially unethical" or just clueless about people's common interpretation of terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers