U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 09:25 PM

1,387 posts, read 2,303,318 times

Advertisements

I want to convert some mp4 music files on my mac to mp3s.
My new car stereo won't play the files I put on a stick drive unless they are mp3s.
Any recommendations for some inexpensive software to do this?
I googled it, but my goodness! TMI!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 08:04 AM

9,197 posts, read 23,486,069 times
Audio Sound File Converter Software. Convert wav mp3 dvd midi flac dvf wma etc.

I've been using the free PC version for a couple of years. (There is a Mac version as well.) Very capable and easy converter.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:10 AM

1,594 posts, read 2,867,796 times
Are you using iTunes? You could be able to right-click on the track and select "Create MP3 version". You may have to adjust the preferences: iTunes->Preferences->(under the general preferences tab) Import Settings-> choose MP3 encoder from the drop down box.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:23 AM

1,387 posts, read 2,303,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Audio Sound File Converter Software. Convert wav mp3 dvd midi flac dvf wma etc.

I've been using the free PC version for a couple of years. (There is a Mac version as well.) Very capable and easy converter.
Thanks. I'll try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
Are you using iTunes? You could be able to right-click on the track and select "Create MP3 version". You may have to adjust the preferences: iTunes->Preferences->(under the general preferences tab) Import Settings-> choose MP3 encoder from the drop down box.

Hope this helps.
There is no option to create an mp3 that I can find. I can import as an mp3, but that won't be practical. I need to convert over 1000 songs.
Thanks for the advice.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
I need to convert over 1000 songs.
Switch File Converter (my link above) is great for a batch conversion as you can easily load up all the files in a folder (including subfolders) and let it run. You'll probably want to direct the output to a different location so that your source and converted files aren't all jumbled together.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:36 AM

13,719 posts, read 28,120,183 times
Just remember that every time you "transcode" one lossy compressed music file type to another type, you will lose fidelity.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Just remember that every time you "transcode" one lossy compressed music file type to another type, you will lose fidelity.
I know that's mathmatically true, but honestly my $1.79 iPod headphones can't tell the difference.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:21 AM

13,719 posts, read 28,120,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I know that's mathmatically true, but honestly my $1.79 iPod headphones can't tell the difference.
Can't argue that. But it is a shame that so many people apparently don't care about audio quality any more.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:09 PM

18,214 posts, read 32,400,273 times
Quote:
Can't argue that. But it is a shame that so many people apparently don't care about audio quality any more.
A lot of people can't tell the difference. For example, wearing earbuds to listen to their songs in an MP3 player while walking, working, jogging, etc. Then most new home and automobile receivers of today enhance the music coming out of MP3 players, iPhones, iPads, and so forth.

That said, a coworker of mine is a musician and is very picky about how music sounds. He can tell the difference right away.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
"Any more"? What, the crackly car radios in noisy drafty cars, and popping vinyl records, and cheap plastic all-in-one home stereos of old produced better sound quality that society has somehow lost its appreciation of? I'd venture to guess that average audio quality experienced by the average listener today is far superior to what they would have experienced in years past. And in most situations, it's frankly good enough - probably more than good enough - as we're listening to audio in all types of environments that aren't really conducive to unadulterated absolutely pure perfectly tuned sound. I think you're feeling a false sense of nostalgia for something that never really was for the great many masses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers