U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 01:02 PM

127 posts, read 183,958 times

Advertisements

Things that are memorable, or from your experiences and observations, that you can concur with, and wish you had known much much earlier?

Any opinions or thoughts are welcome
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 08:27 PM

15,921 posts, read 18,341,467 times
Who is Joel Spolsky?

Old 11-27-2011, 08:04 AM

10,812 posts, read 19,120,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Who is Joel Spolsky?
X2

Old 11-27-2011, 11:33 AM

16,308 posts, read 26,139,975 times
X3

Old 11-27-2011, 12:07 PM

8,148 posts, read 8,630,347 times
Me thinks Joel Spolsky is trying to get blog hits by posting on forums...

Old 11-27-2011, 02:18 PM

28,717 posts, read 42,554,830 times
From my Google search - meh....

Old 11-27-2011, 04:04 PM

3,683 posts, read 8,939,328 times
I will admit to not having heard of Joel Spolsky or his blog before. I did take a look at his site and a few of his articles and he does have real credentials (unlike 99.9% of the people who post here). If you are involved at all in real software development (as in, someone thinks you're worth paying a minimum of $200k a year for what is inside your head), you can probably relate to many of the things he's written about.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:44 PM

15,921 posts, read 18,341,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
I will admit to not having heard of Joel Spolsky or his blog before. I did take a look at his site and a few of his articles and he does have real credentials (unlike 99.9% of the people who post here).
And I assume you are one of the .1 percenters huh?

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/200...the-shark.html

Quote:
For instance, two weeks ago we found out that Joel's company wrote their flagship product, FogBugz, in a proprietary language they created themselves.
FogBugz is written in Wasabi, a very advanced, functional-programming dialect of Basic with closures and lambdas and Rails-like active records that can be compiled down to VBScript, JavaScript, PHP4 or PHP5. Wasabi is a private, in-house language written by one of our best developers that is optimized specifically for developing FogBugz; the Wasabi compiler itself is written in C#.
You couldn't possibly have heard it, but that was the sound of fifty thousand programmers' heads simultaneously exploding.
I guess if one were intimately involved in coding sounds like this guy vs other guys in that field are in a tit-for-tat war like Windows vs Mac

I couldn't care less if a program was written in C++, Fortran, FogBugz or Assembler, I just want it to work as documented with no bugs, no complaints from my users and it doesn't drag the systems down to their knees when running...

~ Standing on pedestal, nose stuck high up in the air my programs are better then your programs...

I guess there are elitists in all walks of life...

Last edited by plwhit; 11-27-2011 at 05:09 PM..

Old 11-27-2011, 07:44 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,962,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Me thinks Joel Spolsky is trying to get blog hits by posting on forums...
Um, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
If you are involved at all in real software development (as in, someone thinks you're worth paying a minimum of $200k a year for what is inside your head), you can probably relate to many of the things he's written about.
I fall into that category (although I don't yet make that kind of money), and I definitely understand where Joel is coming from, and admire the way he runs his company. He has a true respect for those that create the products that makes his company profitable. I don't agree with everything he's said over the years, but I like the foundations of his philosophy.

Quote:
Coding Horror: Has Joel Spolsky Jumped the Shark?

I guess if one were intimately involved in coding sounds like this guy vs other guys in that field are in a tit-for-tat war like Windows vs Mac
Ha, that's the first thing that I thought of when I saw this thread.

The funny thing is that Joel Spolsky and Jeff Atwood (the Coding Horror author) co-founded Stack Overflow (and thus Stack Exchange) a couple of years later.

Quote:
I guess there are elitists in all walks of life...
Yep, just as many zealots and elitist in programing as there are in all of the other tech sectors.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:17 PM

8,265 posts, read 11,213,531 times
I've read his blog on and off for years, he's got some interesting insights that most in software dev can relate to but yeah I'd agree he can be kind of on the high horse at times, some of the stuff his says I just roll my eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers