Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 01:45 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,893 times

Advertisements

Sorry if it is a repeat thread, but I just bought a new computer and was thinking about almost doing completely away with windows and running either fedora or ubuntu since new computers these days no longer come with pre-installed programs in order to save on costs. I was thinking about just running a linux OS and downloading something like open office which is completely free.

So what are some pros and cons of running linux vs windows? Should I even keep windows? If I use fedora I can run windows in the background if I have to. Is linux more secure? It would save me even more money if I don't have to pay for anti-viral software. How about operating speeds? Ease of use for a beginner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 07:25 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Why not just download and burn a Ubuntu CD? Nothing beats the hands on experience.

Boot your system from this CD and try it out...

Download | Ubuntu

As far as your other questions you should use the search function here and find the numerous threads that already cover every single one of your questions and concerns...

Old 11-26-2011, 07:58 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,889 times
It's not an either/or decision. Almost all Linux distros include a boot manager and partitioning software, so you can have Windows and Linux side-by-side, and choose at boot time which to run. You can get away with as little as 20GB for your Linux partition, so you'd be stealing only a very small amount of disk space to try out Linux.

Running a Live CD is noticeably slower than running off the HD in my experience, so I'd go ahead and just install it.

If your new system is fast and has a lot of memory, you could download the free VMWare Player and create a virtual machine to run Linux. You boot off the Linux distribution CD and install the OS just as if you were doing it on an actual system. You probably can't do the reverse (host a VM running Windows on a Linux system) because your Windows EULA probably doesn't allow it (doesn't allow you to activate the VM using the license of your OEM copy of Windows).

For someone in your position, I think the most important consideration is which OS do your computer savvy friends have experience with, since they will be the ones to bail you out when you screw up your system.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:33 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
If your new system is fast and has a lot of memory, you could download the free VMWare Player and create a virtual machine to run Linux. You boot off the Linux distribution CD and install the OS just as if you were doing it on an actual system.
+1

Running an OS that you want to explore in VMWare is a great way to try it out and decide if you want to make the change.

You can find a number of "ready to run" images in the Virtual Appliance Marketplace.

Virtual Appliance Marketplace

Old 11-26-2011, 08:40 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post

So what are some pros and cons of running linux vs windows?
Nobody really answered your question and I would like to know the answer myself. What is so good about linux? What is wrong with windows? Even if linux is more stable and less vulnerable to viruses, is it worth not having every software available like window does? (Everything is written for windows. Is everything available for linux or mac for that matter?)

Old 11-26-2011, 08:43 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
There are 35 threads when searching C-D with "linux vs windows"

Does it really have to be rehashed for the 36th time?

Not to mention a Google search

http://www.michaelhorowitz.com/Linux.vs.Windows.html

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000575.htm

http://www.pcworld.com/article/10469...e_rematch.html

http://tuxradar.com/content/linux-vs-windows-7

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Th...ery-72433.html

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

And there are many many more....

Old 11-26-2011, 10:29 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Nobody really answered your question and I would like to know the answer myself. What is so good about linux? What is wrong with windows? Even if linux is more stable and less vulnerable to viruses, is it worth not having every software available like window does? (Everything is written for windows. Is everything available for linux or mac for that matter?)
It's only less vulnerable because it's less used by consumers. Servers running Linux which make up an even greater percentage than MS are under attack constantly.

As far as the software goes the two big downsides are for professional work particularly in the media sector or playing games. Otherwise Linux should be able to meet your needs.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:33 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
I'd just buy a new computer and dual boot Linux.. much less headache since many programs require windows and won't run in Linux using Wine. Maybe even get a Mac and triple boot.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:43 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,223 times
This may be true for other Linux distros, but Ubuntu has a feature that allows you to install it within Windows, so to speak. Then if you want to remove it, you can go to "Add and Remove programs" and uninstall it like you would a normal application.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:45 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Pros and Cons; Linux vs. Windows 7 (no point in considering versions prior to 7). Linux is free. There is a lot of open source software available for free. It is MUCH less likely to experience a virus or malware infection. It's going to be a little harder to hire a geek to fix it, should that become necessary. It will be much more difficult to get your questions answered in a non-computer forum. For surfing and reading email, it could be perfect. Windows comes on new computers. You'd have to buy it if you build your own rig. There is a free program to do almost anything. PC's are susceptible to virus and malware threats much more so that any other platform. Windows is so widely used that forum users might assume Windows is in use even if your question didn't say so, so someone probably knows the answer to your question. You can find software to do almost anything if you're running Windows. Windows
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers