Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 02:01 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Me too.
Previous laptop is 5 years old. A Dell Studio 15. Was $550 new.
Also have an aging desktop I built myself.

So I bought an Asus G53 gaming laptop to replace both.
I-7 2.2 GHZ with an Overclock button that pushes it to 3GHZ.
Nvidia GTX 560M w/2GB Ram.
12 GB RAM with room for 4 more.
And the backlit keyboard which I have always wanted. LOVE!

This thing is a monster. I absolutely love it. I have a USB tuner and it works great as a DVR for my cable TV in my basement hooked up to a projector. I can play any game on the market at high resolution... and I can do it anywhere. It's blazing fast, boots up in about 20 seconds.

Got it on sale before Xmas for $1,050. Current model still running $1,200 at least.
No offence but, god that things ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 02:08 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
My HP will be 2 yrs old in Feb! I dont plan to replace it til it Dies! Since my gf gave me hers when it was 5 yrs old & had it a yr...I the sold it to someone else ...who tells me its still going strong Making it about 8 yrs old now! I Thinking I safe to say IF lucky It will out live me LOL HP Rocks!

Old 01-04-2012, 05:25 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
No offence but, god that things ugly.
I concur... but it's a gaming laptop. It's more about function more than anything. And given the prices of gaming laptops, that ASUS is a really good value by quite a margin. It's worth giving up the looks to save several hundred dollars.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I concur... but it's a gaming laptop. It's more about function more than anything. And given the prices of gaming laptops, that ASUS is a really good value by quite a margin. It's worth giving up the looks to save several hundred dollars.
Good design needn't cost money though nor should it compromise function - it just requires and a bit of thought and care. What PC designers are thinking I don't know. Still he's happy I suppose.

Last edited by archineer; 01-04-2012 at 07:17 PM..

Old 01-05-2012, 09:24 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Nice. Mine is business oriented rather than gaming.
I use it for work to remote in to the Office quite a bit. If work would have paid for it I would have put Win7PRO on it, lol.

Quote:
I picked up a ThinkPad X220T (multitouch) about a month ago.

I expect to keep it until November.
So a sweet laptop like that will barely last you a year??? Ouch.

Quote:
160 GB SSD
That's very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1th
That is a pretty sweet laptop. I will probably get one of those desktop replacements when I buy a new one for myself.
I should probably mention the one serious drawback: weight. This f****** weighs almost 10 pounds. Doesn't sound like much... but shlep it around on your shoulder for an hour and you feel it. lol

As for the way it looks I actually like it. Not even remotely offended though Archineer.
It is different which I really like. It certainly does NOT look like any other laptop on the market which I like. It is unique. It was inspired by the stealth bombers.

As for the "design compromising function" er... no. This thing is designed the way it is for maximum cooling and comfort. It's not just a gimick the way it looks.
The keyboard feels great on the hands. Responsive. And the slant of the keyboard feels very comfortable. It's ergonomic.
And see those "holes" in the back side? Those are dedicated cooling vents. The left one for the processor and the right one for the video card. And they work. You could probably pop popcorn by the heat coming out of the processor side. At a minimum it will warm your hand up on a cold winter day.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:29 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Here is an ad for my laptops big brother, the G73.
Only difference is the G73 is a 17 inch laptop. Mine is 15.

Asus G73JH-A1 Gaming Laptop - YouTube

Old 01-05-2012, 11:06 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
I use it for work to remote in to the Office quite a bit. If work would have paid for it I would have put Win7PRO on it, lol.

So a sweet laptop like that will barely last you a year??? Ouch.

That's very nice.
Thanks. I needed something easy to carry around as I travel for business a lot.

It can easily last me a lot longer than a year.... however I've determined that (unlike cars) the biggest depreciation occurs at around 18 months. I want to avoid realizing this depreciation by upgrading beforehand. I am generally able to sell laptops that are 8 to 12 months old for the same price in which I purchased it give or take 10%. I choose November as the best time to upgrade as there tends to be the most promotions on ThinkPads around that time.

Most people with this laptop get an 80gb msata SSD and a 320gb hard drive (you can have both). That way you get the speed and the storage space. However, the msata SSDs are so pricey that I had to make a compromise.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:41 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,168 times
My Dell Inspiron 1545 will be three years old in a couple months (Dual Core Pentium, 3GB RAM, 320GB hard drive, Intel HD graphics, 15.6" screen). I'm planning to use some of my tax refund to buy a replacement.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:28 AM

Quote:

As for the way it looks I actually like it. Not even remotely offended though Archineer.
It is different which I really like. It certainly does NOT look like any other laptop on the market which I like. It is unique. It was inspired by the stealth bombers.

As for the "design compromising function" er... no. This thing is designed the way it is for maximum cooling and comfort. It's not just a gimick the way it looks.
The keyboard feels great on the hands. Responsive. And the slant of the keyboard feels very comfortable. It's ergonomic.
And see those "holes" in the back side? Those are dedicated cooling vents. The left one for the processor and the right one for the video card. And they work. You could probably pop popcorn by the heat coming out of the processor side. At a minimum it will warm your hand up on a cold winter day.
What can I say? I'm a minimalist

Old 01-06-2012, 09:14 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
I could probably squeeze another year or two out of it.
I get this way with lots of things, mainly since always something just right over the horizon. Next generation video card, next generation CPU, etc. seems every time I'm considering upgrading I decide to wait another few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers