Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 10:55 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,571,500 times

Advertisements

My computer is hanging up and slowing down and I'm looking for a free software to help clean up my computer. Which software is best to use?

Thanks, John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 03:21 AM

1,963 posts, read 5,619,501 times
i've got MS Security Essentials and MalwareByte's Anti-Malware. Haven't had a virus or trojan in 2 yrs and I do install lots of freeware/shareware/warez.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:38 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,703,406 times
avast! Free Antivirus - Download Software for Virus Protection

Combined with Malwarebytes it works wonderfully well.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:52 AM

16,660 posts, read 15,651,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
My computer is hanging up and slowing down and I'm looking for a free software to help clean up my computer. Which software is best to use?

Thanks, John
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
avast! Free Antivirus - Download Software for Virus Protection

Combined with Malwarebytes it works wonderfully well.
Most people on this forum recommend MSE for virus/malware protection. Most also recommend Malwarebytes to remove junk software. CCleaner is a useful product for cleaning out junk/trash files and stripping down your Startup programs.

One of the most frustrating things for a computer tech to hear is: "My computer is running slow. Can you fix it for me?" There are many possible causes for your computer to be running slow.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:27 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,014 times
Microsoft Security Essentials is arguably the best free virus software right now. You probably wont even need malwarebytes if you get MSE. It keeps most of that crap off your computer

Old 10-21-2011, 09:27 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times
The OP really wants ANTI-virus software. Not virus software. You can get that almost anywhere.

I agree with the rec for MSE. My family runs it on 5 computers and it is an excellent free product.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:11 PM

229 posts, read 206,744 times
I like Avast, best thing you can do is smart internet browsing. Virus free for 2 years.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:04 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,436,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Microsoft Security Essentials is arguably the best free virus software right now. You probably wont even need malwarebytes if you get MSE. It keeps most of that crap off your computer
I've seen plenty of crap get past MSE but that's true for every other antivirus I've ever seen too. Malwarebytes free version is good at removing stuff after its on your computer.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:21 PM

61,632 posts, read 86,981,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
One of the most frustrating things for a computer tech to hear is: "My computer is running slow. Can you fix it for me?" There are many possible causes for your computer to be running slow.
I agree!!!

Possible causes:
startup overload - Start, Run, type "msconfig" and see what is running
spyware - run anti-spyware programs
corrupted registry - run CCleaner
badly fragmented hard drive - defragment your hard drive
poor security software - check for better options
partially uninstalled programs still hanging in there - install program like RegCure and uninstall uninstalled programs completely
to many windows and full temporary file - Start, Run, type cleanmgr.exe, select C, and click OK
wear and tear of your hardware
viruses - install 2-3 antivirus programs mentioned by members above.

Good luck

Old 10-22-2011, 12:42 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,024 times
+1 for Micorosft Security Essentials. It's free, it has a robust real-time scanner, and it doesn't eat your computer alive like other full-scale software suites.

+1 for Malwarebytes' Anti-malware as well. It is simply one-of-the-best when it comes to removing trojans on a computer.

Start there. Remove any other anti-virus products you have on the computer. The interactions can occasionally cause nightmares. If it's still running slow, disable non-essential startup programs. Use the built-in tool, "MSCONFIG," to do so.

If you're still slow, you might need additional memory, or a faster hard-drive, or whatever you're running might be too much for the computer to handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers