Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 10:06 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times

Advertisements

I apologize if this is not the right forum for this. I play most of my mp3 files in windows media player. A lot of times you can see the name of the song listed on the media player. But sometimes it just lists Song 1, Song 2, Song 3, etc.

I tried to look at the properties of the file but can't figure out what is driving that title of the song. For some songs that I like I'd like to put the real name in so I can get familiar with it when it's playing.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 03:48 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
It's the meta data embedded in the file.

ID3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When you rip a file it's usually the whole CD, the program you are using to rip the disc can look up on the internet this information based on how many tracks, length etc to identify the album and insert this information. I don't know how well they work for identifying individual tracks.

You can do it manually too but that's a lot of work, you can use this for either automatic or manual editing:

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Old 01-24-2012, 07:59 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Where did you obtain these songs?

If you ripped them from CD, 99% of them will get the ID tags automatically because WMP will look it up for you.

If you purchased the music from a real store (e.g. Amazon) it will also have proper ID information.

If you downloaded them from a file sharing site, all bets are off.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:09 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
you could use itunes to write/embed song info

Old 01-24-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Where did you obtain these songs?

If you ripped them from CD, 99% of them will get the ID tags automatically because WMP will look it up for you.

If you purchased the music from a real store (e.g. Amazon) it will also have proper ID information.

If you downloaded them from a file sharing site, all bets are off.
That's probably where the problem is. I have ripped a lot of my CD's. But I had a few albums that I got from my roommate. I guess he downloaded them awhile ago.

Thanks for the info guys! Learn something everyday!

Old 01-24-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It's the meta data embedded in the file.

ID3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When you rip a file it's usually the whole CD, the program you are using to rip the disc can look up on the internet this information based on how many tracks, length etc to identify the album and insert this information. I don't know how well they work for identifying individual tracks.

You can do it manually too but that's a lot of work, you can use this for either automatic or manual editing:

Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...)
Thanks.

The second link you provided. If I already have the CD on my computer I really can't do much with that link correct?

Old 01-24-2012, 11:05 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
That's probably where the problem is. I have ripped a lot of my CD's. But I had a few albums that I got from my roommate. I guess he downloaded them awhile ago.

Thanks for the info guys! Learn something everyday!
If you open a purchased audio CD in your PC as a file, you will see unnamed files with the format "wav." WAV files do not have tags. When you rip such a CD, which typically converts it to MP3 format, software looks up the CD against a database and matches "track 1" to the named song of the album. The ripping software will assign the tags.

If your friend created an audio CD from his MP3 library, he told the software to create WAV files. Any tagging in the MP3 files is lost.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:00 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
The second link you provided. If I already have the CD on my computer I really can't do much with that link correct?
If you have all the tracks it's possible. I'm not so sure for single track, never really tried it. It's certainly possible to "fingerprint" a song but that becomes problematic for many reasons.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you have all the tracks it's possible. I'm not so sure for single track, never really tried it. It's certainly possible to "fingerprint" a song but that becomes problematic for many reasons.

yea it's the whole album, not just 1 song. I guess I'll download the program and give it a shot. Thanks

Old 01-25-2012, 05:52 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
You might also try to "Find Album Info" in Windows Media Player.

I have had a couple of albums where the info was wrong, and I was able to manually select the album by going to the Album list, right clicking on the album, and selecting "find album info". It will let you hunt for the album in a list, and then it will update the tags for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers