Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 04:37 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,792,097 times

Advertisements

You'd have to look at what the TOS says. These starter plans that might be $5/month and offer ridiculous amounts of space or even "unlimited" space have some strict rules regarding how that space can be used. As Skunk Workz suggested they will all have limitations that do not allow you to use it as storage. If you uploaded a couple of files they are never going to knopw the difference but when you start using GB's of space they are going to look at what you're doing.

They offer these plans because everyone does and they have to keep up with competition, they know 99.9% of the people will never utilize the resources and the small percentage of sites that become successful will quickly consume other limitations in the fine print like CPU.

When you get into the more expensive plans like a VPS the limits on storage are much smaller and realistic becsue and they expect it might get used. In that case you can usually use it how you want.

Quote:
I was reading about RackSpace Cloud Hosting {on demand Storage & Content delivery)
Their website says prices start at .15 cents /GB/Mo and you pay as you grow (as much or as little storage as you want)
I have no experience with that company but sounds like they are offering exactly what you want, the cost is very reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 06:46 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,632,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
I'm really looking for a place to use as Storage rather than a place that Backs up my Files because I want to free-up my hard-drive. I have an External Hard-drive as well as a few USB Sticks but wanted a place to store my files off site for additional backup.
I checked out the Carbonite Website and it sounds great for doing regular BackUps, However in the FAQ it states:
"Carbonite is online backup – not online storage.
It is meant to be a backup of the files that are on your computer – not a place to store files in order to free up space on your hard drive. If you remove any file from your hard drive, we wait 30 days for you to recover it, and then we delete that file from our servers, too."

I was reading about RackSpace Cloud Hosting {on demand Storage & Content delivery)
Their website says prices start at .15 cents /GB/Mo and you pay as you grow (as much or as little storage as you want)
It says...."Keep Data Private or Share it Publicly—Your Choice. Each container that you create for your files can be marked as either private or public".
I would sure appreciate some opinions on this ?
It sounds like what I have in mind
Keep in mind that regular hosting won't backup or guarantee your files, so if you're looking to free up HDD space by moving files up to a host you're not actually protecting anything.

RackSpace is fairly well known in the hosting industry and have a fairly good reputation, but I don't have direct experience with them.

Even though that is a good deal for storage, it's still $150+ per month per TB. For that you could rent a safe deposit box and buy several 1TB HDDs and rotate them. You'll also pay $0.18 per GB each time a file is downloaded, so that could add up pretty quick if you are constantly getting files back from storage, or sharing files with others.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,955,303 times
Quote:
It says...."Keep Data Private or Share it Publicly—Your Choice. Each container that you create for your files can be marked as either private or public".
I would sure appreciate some opinions on this ?
It sounds like what I have in mind
Rackspace is a local company where I live, but IMO they put a premium price on their services.

If you stored 200GB of files with them, you'd pay $30/month for the privilege. But you can store 5x that many files on a 1 Terabyte external hard drive of your own that costs what you'd pay them for 2-3 months of storage.

If you were choosy with what you backed upto it, that service could be a good option. The more you use it, IMO, the less reasonably priced it is for a consumer.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:44 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,787,691 times
I *think* I know where the OP is heading to.

A place to *store* files, other than anything *at home*, that then can be accessed by anybody *authorised* to do so.

Am I right ?

Old 02-03-2012, 02:43 PM

570 posts, read 1,279,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
I *think* I know where the OP is heading to.

A place to *store* files, other than anything *at home*, that then can be accessed by anybody *authorised* to do so.

Am I right ?
Noooooo...... not right!
I do store files at home. Just wanted an additional place.
True, I could buy another extra External HD and put it in a Safety Deposit Box but if I am out of town and want access to my files I'd be out of luck vs being able to go online to access something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
If you stored 200GB of files with them, you'd pay $30/month for the privilege. But you can store 5x that many files on a 1 Terabyte external hard drive of your own that costs what you'd pay them for 2-3 months of storage.
If you were choosy with what you backed upto it, that service could be a good option. The more you use it, IMO, the less reasonably priced it is for a consumer.
Bo.... I understand what you're saying about the more it is used the less reasonably priced it is for a customer.
I was thinking more in terms of only storing about 50 - 100 GB.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:13 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,420,845 times
Quote:
Noooooo...... not right!
True, I could buy another extra External HD and put it in a Safety Deposit Box but if I am out of town and want access to my files I'd be out of luck vs being able to go online to access something.

<snip>
----------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have a machine at home, running, with your data on it, you can easily set up a home network that will give you secure online access to it, from anywhere in the world. Geez, I can see what is going on in my house in the US when I am in Bangalore (and turn lights on and off, and change the heat, etc ).

You are only talking 50-110GB... that is so far in the noise, we really don't need to be discussing it.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:16 PM

If you are only going to do 50 to 100 GB then something like Dropbox may be more cost effective, depending upon how often you need those files.

19.99 gets you 100 GB on Dropbox. That's a bit more than you'll pay for Rackspace, but you don't get unlimited downloads with RS. Once you download about 28 GB a month you'll be paying more to RS than Dropbox, and it goes up at $0.18 per GB from there.

You'd have to compare the Dropbox apps to the Rackspace apps to see what works best for the platforms that you are interested in.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post

If you have a machine at home, running, with your data on it, you can easily set up a home network that will give you secure online access to it, from anywhere in the world. Geez, I can see what is going on in my house in the US when I am in Bangalore (and turn lights on and off, and change the heat, etc ).

You are only talking 50-110GB... that is so far in the noise, we really don't need to be discussing it.
I think the op is also looking for the extra benefit of offsite backup at the same time, but Windows Home Server does an excellent job with this, along with nightly images of every machine in our house / office, and acting as a media server/hub.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:22 PM

570 posts, read 1,279,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post

Are you trying to be facetious?

That's cute but... I would not want to have a machine at home running with my data on it while I am out of town. ... And don't need to be able to turn lights on and off and change the heat etc while I am out of town either .... so yeah..we really don't need to be discussing that. LOL

Old 02-03-2012, 07:58 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,787,691 times
Quote:
Noooooo...... not right!
Is this not what I said ???

<<<I do store files at home. Just wanted an additional place.>>>
>>>A place to *store* files, other than anything *at home*<<<

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Anybody authorised to do so , could be *you* ???
Am I speaking a foreign language or something ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers