Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 10:02 PM

19,696 posts, read 20,221,774 times

Advertisements

My home computer (an HP desktop) wouldn't turn on after a power outtage in the neighborhood several weeks ago. The motherboard light was flashing, but still- nothing.

I figured I'd need to buy a new power supply and was loathing the idea of taking it in somewhere.

Anyway, I got totally bored earlier and opened my busted computer to check out the psu and did a major dusting inside, etc etc...

Was looking looking online for some parts, and found a site where people were talking about this method, and turns out...
Pointing a hairdryer into the psu fan turned the light solid green and everything powered up! I was amazed it actually worked, lol.

Anyone familiar with this?! Is it a temporary fix or am I good to go?! Everything is running smooth so far!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 10:19 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
My home computer (an HP desktop) wouldn't turn on after a power outtage in the neighborhood several weeks ago. The motherboard light was flashing, but still- nothing.

I figured I'd need to buy a new power supply and was loathing the idea of taking it in somewhere.

Anyway, I got totally bored earlier and opened my busted computer to check out the psu and did a major dusting inside, etc etc...

Was looking looking online for some parts, and found a site where people were talking about this method, and turns out...
Pointing a hairdryer into the psu fan turned the light solid green and everything powered up! I was amazed it actually worked, lol.

Anyone familiar with this?! Is it a temporary fix or am I good to go?! Everything is running smooth so far!
If it wasn't working and you blew out all the debris and now it's working yes it sounds like you're good to go, overheating will kill ya.

Most of us use a can of compressed air and a soft brush.

Preventative maintenance will stop stuff like you encountered...

Old 02-03-2012, 03:14 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Most of us use a can of compressed air and a soft brush.

I'd be careful about suggesting or using a brush on or near any circuit boards because they can quickly build up a static shock. Same thing for a vacuum cleaner, it should only be used on the outside of the case.

As far as the air goes I've been using the air from regular compressor. AFAIK the only difference is the compressed air in a can has lower moisture and won't have other possible contaminants like compressor oil. You can have a filter on a compressor, these are usually used on compressors used for painting. I just give it good long release of air to make sure the moisture that might have accumulated in the hose or elsewhere while it was sitting is gone.

I'll offer one little tip, if you have a noisy fan unplug it first and take it out. There will be a sticker on the center of one side of the fan blade, you can see it partially in the picture plwit posted above. Remove the sticker and discard it. Under the sticker might be a little rubber stopper, remove it if there is. Whether there is rubber stopper or not under that you'll see the shaft for the fan in the center. Take some regular oil like 3in1 and put one drop on it. I used the oil from my shaver one time as alternate. You could use any oil but something like wd-40 is hard to control the application and is really light oil so it won't last as long.

You computer will now sound like it was just bought.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:32 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
While not sure what the correct name for the thing is, but a much cheaper device to blow dust out of fans and heat-sinks is what everyone with a baby knows as a "snot sucker".

Just don't use the same one on the kid and the PC.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:05 AM

19,696 posts, read 20,221,774 times
I had no idea this was even the problem since it was definitely triggered by the power outtage. Misdiagnosis for sure!

Imagine all the computers that are junked over this simple fix. Wow... I am enlightened!

Saving $$$$$ (and everything on my freaking computer) rocks!!!!

Old 02-03-2012, 11:19 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
When people are going to throw away their "broken" systems I take them, blow them out reseat all the PCB's and cables and then turn it on...

About 6 out of every 10 work, those that do I donate to local churches.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:46 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,246 times
Are we sharing photos now?

Not nearly as dirty as the ones you have linked, but pretty filthy and plugged non-the-less. I can't seem to find the one where I found a frog in a client's computer. That was a strange day. It was a good sized frog too, maybe six or seven inches long, two inches at its widest point, squeezed its way through the fan-grill to get into a computer--and subsequently died.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:30 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
I had to laugh really hard when I saw the photos of those dusted computers Where on earth (if on earth) do those people run their computers?!

Old 03-16-2012, 01:37 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Where on earth (if on earth) do those people run their computers?!
Many people have their *box*, on the floor ...
That is all it takes !
When I was still working, our office had umpteen desktops, and we did notice that the ones on the floor were always the dirtiest.
So we made sure that they were located *off* the floor afterwards ...
They still get dusty regardless ...
Because of the *Static whatever* , the dust just collects there !

Shows you how much *crap* is in the air !!!
A bit off topic, but meant as a warning.
Ever take a look-see under your fridge ?
We have a *static* air-cleaner, and when we clean the filters and the static thingys, the water looks like coca-cola.
I am surprised on how good our body filters air.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:50 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
I never had that dust problem, not even after years of running my old pc, which was also located on the floor. Modern towers have filters at the intake openings, so any air sucked in is pretty clean already. And when the ventilation system is designed correctly, the air is expelled or sucked out along with any dust particles that might have gotten into the case.

My main problem is humidity, metal parts in my computers tend to rust within a few years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers