Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 03:26 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,806 times

Advertisements

The six browsers I have are IE, Netscape, Opera, Firefox, Chrome and Safari. I have them just in case I find a better way of searching the internet. Sometimes we all need a change. I know it is not really necessary, but I had less than a quarter of my hard drive being used up. Hence, I just thought there was no harm to add additional programs in case I need or want them.

Quote:
Browsers can serve as "carriers" for malware. Search toolbars, plug-ins, etc. are all potential vulnerabilities. The more of these you have, the greater the risk.
If I only use one at one time, why would this be a problem? Especially if I have good AV software?

Quote:
A lot of programs want to "call home" regularly, or do automatic updates, and other nonsense, OUTSIDE of the browser. Adobe update is just one. There is a large potential for security, malware, adware, and spyware issues, there is a waste of resources, and I would strongly discourage any customer from going overboard with such programs. It sometimes seems that programs are beginning to had attention deficit disorder, paying more attention to personal upkeep than usefulness to the user.
OK, some programs call home outside the browser. If I am not having any problems with them and I have a descent AV system, should I worry about these "call homes"?

Finally, other than taking up disk space...are these six browsers really a problem if I only use one at one time, rarely even using the rest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 03:29 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Finally, other than taking up disk space...are these six browsers really a problem if I only use one at one time, rarely even using the rest?
No

Old 02-05-2012, 03:53 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Because this is America and people can do what they want to (within reason).
Sure. But this is a dumb thing for a non-geeky PC user to do.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:32 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Sure. But this is a dumb thing for a non-geeky PC user to do.
No, it's not.

If the OP said they're using p2p to download music, or something similar I'd agree, but downloading six browsers is no biggie as long as they didn't add toolbars, etc for all of them.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:59 PM

lentzr,

I advise looking at your startup and see what (and how many) programs are running when Windows starts.

An easy way to do this (and clean up your PC) is to download Ccleaner and use it to list the items in startup. If you do click on the link at the top right and wait for the gray box to open.

In Ccleaner click on the Tools icon at the left, than the Startup button.

You can put that list here if you want and get advice on what programs you want kept or removed. Look at the bottom right of the startup screen in Ccleaner for the Save to Text File button and copy the text file to here. One of the nice things you can do with Ccleaner is disable an item without removing it so if you find you need it you just enable it again.

As an example I have 2 (count 'em - 2!) programs that run at startup and one of them is a Word file that I created to remind me of stuff.

One the same toolbar in Ccleaner is a place to look at what programs are installed on the system. It's the Uninstall button. Here is where you look for things like toolbars, search programs, shopping programs, etc. And this is where you can uninstall them.

Here are a couple of somewhat outdated, but still pertinent, videos about Ccleaner. //www.city-data.com/forum/20778157-post21.html

Old 02-05-2012, 05:49 PM

Thanks Tek Freek...However, is CCleaner anything different than AVG PC Tuneup?

Old 02-05-2012, 08:09 PM

Don't know. I haven't used AVG anything for years. You might do a search in this forum for Ccleaner to get a general opinion of it.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:40 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
No, it's not.

If the OP said they're using p2p to download music, or something similar I'd agree, but downloading six browsers is no biggie as long as they didn't add toolbars, etc for all of them.
Please tell me what practical benefit is derived from having six browsers. I understand why a web programmer, a serious hobbyist, etc. might do this.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:59 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Please tell me what practical benefit is derived from having six browsers. I understand why a web programmer, a serious hobbyist, etc. might do this.
Look at Post #9.

You have a serious hang-up about this, so ****ing what? let it die dude....

Old 02-06-2012, 11:11 AM

hoffdano - I am trying to be much more tech savy and knowledgeable than I have been I the past. Why? I am wheelchair bound and housebound due to weakness in my lower body. So what else is there for me to do most of the day? Computers! Perhaps, I do not really need all six of the major browsers but I figured there was no harm in having experience with each of them, even if I now only use google chrome. I have less than 25% of my hard drive used up, so what do I really need the rest for? I just thought I should have other options open just in case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers