Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 09:24 AM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
The issue w/ "thickness" here would be penetration and causing drag. On a tiny fan like this it takes very little to damage it's ability to function w/in specification. You can end up w/ a situation much like adding too much salt to a dish. (kinda hard to take it back out again... LOL)
Yes, of course, too much of anything would be bad. All it needs is a thin film regardless of the type of lubricant, very much like the thermal paste on the CPU.

I put no salt on my food, an average person consumes way too much sodium as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 02:40 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I purchased an HP PC about a year ago. I feel I got a really good deal on it, purchased from Office Max for around $500 (used my previous monitor).

I decided to upgrade the video card so I would have better graphics and an HDMI output ect. Also good for blue ray movies ect.

Only problem is a couple of months ago the fan on it started making noise. I took the side off the case and fired up the computer and isolated the noise to the video card fan.

Is there any kind of a lubricant I can use on the fan shaft or is it just a bad fan and should I just bite the bullet and buy a new card?

Thanks.
I think you should upgrade your fan too. The heat may just be to much for what you have now. Cooler computers always run better and have a longer life span. Check out new egg for a replacement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers