Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 07:48 AM

56 posts, read 509,579 times

Advertisements

Samsung NP300E5A-A02UB; Its $530 at Best Buy

Someone told me that some new laptops will not allow you to remove the battery. The reason I want to remove it is because 90% of the time I will be using it at my home desk and leaving a battery charged in will reduce its lifespan. I also want to find out if the battery has memory effect.

I have a limited choice for my budget, because I want Intel Wireless Display. The Toshiba laptop I want is out of stock at Best Buy ($500), but Amazon.com has it for $670.. no thanks

The Toshiba owners manual (easy to download PDF file ) answers my questions, but its out of stock.

I tell you, Samsung's website stinks. Some links point to the wrong page. I can't get the downloaded manual to work, and I have the latest version of Adobe flash. I emailed support, but the model number isn't available in the "dropedown menu" that is "required" to email theme. All they did was give me the link to the online manual (which I said wouldn't work) and didn't comment about the broken links.

Most electronics company website use PDF files, but Samsung decided to use an .exe file I'm really reluctant to buy a Samsung, because I don't even want to know what their warranty service would be like.

Support - Notebooks NP300E5AI | Samsung Laptops
^ can anybody else view the manual? Maybe its something on my part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 08:52 AM

16,450 posts, read 19,466,184 times
I've never seen a laptop/netbook that did not have a removeable battery. Any company would be stupid to do this as selling replacement batteries is a pretty good revenue stream.

Now the ULTRABOOK or the MAC AIR laptops may not have replaceable batteries. But ANY full size laptop certainly does.

Whoever told you this is flat out wrong...

Old 02-13-2012, 09:29 AM

13,715 posts, read 30,997,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I've never seen a laptop/netbook that did not have a removeable battery. Any company would be stupid to do this as selling replacement batteries is a pretty good revenue stream.

Now the ULTRABOOK or the MAC AIR laptops may not have replaceable batteries. But ANY full size laptop certainly does.

It is an even better revenue stream when the battery dies and you have take it to Apple for replacement. The Macbook Air battery is not user replaceable, just like with iPods, iPhones, and iPads.

It is hard to tell on that Samsung looking at the website. But I bet it is replaceable. The only reason companies make it non-replaceable is if they want to use a unique battery design (the Macbook Air uses a very thin but large battery). Any "cheap" laptop will use ordinary parts like standard Li-Ion battery cells.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:39 AM

56 posts, read 509,579 times
Is anyone able to download/view the manual from the link I posted?

Old 02-13-2012, 09:16 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,312,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

I believe ALL current apple laptops lack user-removable batteries, not just the air. I saw a new Dell laptop recently with the same deal. Its a crappy trend but it does exist.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:38 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,114,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volpe Mar View Post
Is anyone able to download/view the manual from the link I posted?
Yes, had no problem downloading the user and troubleshooting guides...

Old 02-14-2012, 10:52 AM

13,715 posts, read 30,997,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I believe ALL current apple laptops lack user-removable batteries, not just the air. I saw a new Dell laptop recently with the same deal. Its a crappy trend but it does exist.
I didn't realize ALL Macbooks were like this now. That sucks.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:14 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,958,696 times
If your main concern is about being able to remove the battery while you have it plugged in so it doesnt kill the battery, it may be false hope anyway. My wife has an acer aspire laptop that the battery has to be in for it to even turn on, which really sucks because as of the last 2 months, its become a heavy paperweight because the battery is close to dead and the computer will shut off suddenly, and we dont have the money to replace the battery atm

Old 02-14-2012, 05:50 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,855,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I didn't realize ALL Macbooks were like this now. That sucks.
It's to increase battery life by removing the docking mechanism allowing for a bigger battery. Or so apple claim. However I recently had my battery panel on my 2008 macbook aluminium (the 13" macbook pro before apple branded it a pro , and yes it's spelt with an 'I') replaced twice - both times it didn't fit properly and I had to panel beat it into shape. I'm convinced apple replaced the removable battery in the second generation of unibody's because of this.

Last edited by archineer; 02-14-2012 at 06:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers