Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 11:14 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times

Advertisements

Wait... what? Was this mentioned before? Did you think it wasn't relevant? Sheesh!

Quote:
#1 printer is a B&W HP 1020Laser Jet printer and is the printer that the spooler error prompt comes up. When this particular printer is on the computer goes into an automatic reboot over and over and the spooler error keeps comming up. When this printer is turned off the computer works normally.
Again, you haven't answered (read?) questions asked previously. We are still trying to find out how this printer is connected to the computer.

Seriously, if you want help you need to put more effort into giving us the information we need, and telling us a more about what you have, or haven't, done that we've recommended. You've got us flying about 90% blind here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 01:25 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,166,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Wait... what? Was this mentioned before? Did you think it wasn't relevant? Sheesh!

Again, you haven't answered (read?) questions asked previously. We are still trying to find out how this printer is connected to the computer.

Seriously, if you want help you need to put more effort into giving us the information we need, and telling us a more about what you have, or haven't, done that we've recommended. You've got us flying about 90% blind here.
The HP 1020 Laserjet has a USB connection on the back, no other option.

OP, have you tried updating the drivers or looking on HP's site for a patch?

One more "fix" I've seen mentioned is to turn off Advanced Printing Features. Open the printers and faxes window. Right click on the printer and choose properties. Click on the advanced tab and uncheck "Enable advanced printing features".

Old 02-16-2012, 03:00 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
This may be too advanced for you but have you checked the event logs?

How to view and manage event logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP

Try recreating the error, then checking the event log for any entries at that time. It may help you track down a corrupted file or the exact problem which you could Google or post back in here. Good luck calling Microsoft, they will most likely tell you to call the vendor.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:13 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
I was going to suggest simply reinstalling the current driver or adding the printer again, but yours is the better suggestion if a newer version of the driver is available.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I was going to suggest simply reinstalling the current driver or adding the printer again, but yours is the better suggestion if a newer version of the driver is available.
My first thought was that this didn't make sense according to the OP's intial post, but considering all the information we seem to be missing, and his lack of response to questions, who knows? Perhaps it's the right fix.

One of my cardinal rules: If I'm trying to help someone and they ignore the thread they started, I never help them again. I already have a couple of those here and it looks like I just acquired another...

Old 02-16-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
The HP 1020 Laserjet has a USB connection on the back, no other option.

One more "fix" I've seen mentioned is to turn off Advanced Printing Features. Open the printers and faxes window. Right click on the printer and choose properties. Click on the advanced tab and uncheck "Enable advanced printing features".
Appreciate it, but don't you think it's the OP's responsibilty to take the time, and the consideration, to answer this?

Old 02-16-2012, 06:20 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,166,449 times
Quote:
Appreciate it, but don't you think it's the OP's responsibilty to take the time, and the consideration, to answer this?
Of course. I will say though that sometimes people get busy with things and forget about the thread, I know I have. It just so happened we had a 1020 sitting back here in the shop and I took a look at it. Didn't cost me any more time than it took to post what I had found.

I have pretty much the same rule you do, although I will only ignore the person if they become rude in their responses like a poster a couple of months ago complaining about Foxit Reader.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:07 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
I'm not a fan of knee-jerk system reinstalls.
I go with what I got, and I've seen enough spooler issues over the years to say that if they're having the problems described, and it's not a driver issue, there's a good chance that other things are messed up that just haven't manifested as something noticeable yet.

I'm not a fan of reinstalls, either, but
Quote:
You've got us flying about 90% blind here.
Like I said, I work with the info I have... I'm not going to pull teeth. Sometimes, the simplest solution for someone who's not technically inclined is a reinstall. Insert CD. Reboot. Click 'Next.' Simple!

Hadn't considered the malware possibility, though. Could definitely be an issue. Sometimes I forget that not everyone knows how (or bothers) to maintain their computer.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:24 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Quote:
Okay I'm sorry to be late answering, I've been sick and had some surgery and was not feeling up to par to answering the questions. Prescription drugs do that to you.
Tek-Frek and others I appreciate your info and help. I'm not as sophisticated in computers as you folks are. I thought a quick fix would work.
I thought I mentioned the printer was hooked up to a USB earlier when answering someones post.
Tomorrow is Sat we hope to uninstall the printer and re-install it as several have mentioned to do. Deleting what files and how??

Any other help is appreciated. Thanks to all of you.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:15 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,447,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Okay I'm sorry to be late answering, I've been sick and had some surgery and was not feeling up to par to answering the questions. Prescription drugs do that to you.
Tek-Frek and others I appreciate your info and help. I'm not as sophisticated in computers as you folks are. I thought a quick fix would work.
I thought I mentioned the printer was hooked up to a USB earlier when answering someones post.
Tomorrow is Sat we hope to uninstall the printer and re-install it as several have mentioned to do. Deleting what files and how??

Any other help is appreciated. Thanks to all of you.
How dare you get sick on us and even go through a surgery when we are trying to help you with your printer! Some nerve people have!

Well, I hope you feel better soon.

OK, I went ahead and created a quick and dirty Windows script for you and attached it to this post (CleanSpool). Feel free to download it anywhere on that PC and extract (unzip) it.
Then you should be able to run it by double-clicking on it. When the script is done, press any key to complete the process, do not X out of the window!
To see what it does, before running it, right-click on it then select EDIT and read the lines next to REM (Remark).

I hope this helps, if not, well....feel free to try any of the other suggestions or provide more info as asked. As mentioned, look at the Event Viewer to see if anything related was reported and probably was.

Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: zip CleanSpool.zip (378 Bytes, 10 views)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers