Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 07:29 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,428,259 times

Advertisements

I bought a MacBook 2 weeks ago. I know Windows/PC like the back of my hand but I'm having trouble with some of the features of Mountain Lion like copy, paste, print etc. Is there any cool Youtube videos or online videos I can use to help me learn faster? I signed up for a Mountain Lion and starting MacBook workshop but they are 3 weeks away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 08:35 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
What exactly are you having trouble with?

Generally, the keyboard shortcuts are pretty similar. You just use the Command key instead of the Control key.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:17 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,299,615 times
Apple offers great classes, especially for OS updates. I’m a comparative power user and I always get a lot out of them.

There are tons of tutorials on YouTube, but what you want is very basic. Like JasonF said, many of the keyboard shortcuts are the same. You simply substitute “Command” for “Control.” Another tip, you can Context Click, aka, “Right Click” on almost anything to get a popup menu. On a Trackpad, you Context Click with two fingers, rather than one.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:12 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,428,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Apple offers great classes, especially for OS updates. I’m a comparative power user and I always get a lot out of them.

There are tons of tutorials on YouTube, but what you want is very basic. Like JasonF said, many of the keyboard shortcuts are the same. You simply substitute “Command” for “Control.” Another tip, you can Context Click, aka, “Right Click” on almost anything to get a popup menu. On a Trackpad, you Context Click with two fingers, rather than one.
Very helpful. Thanks!

Old 01-29-2013, 05:19 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,844,231 times
Default Try the Google

google "moving from windows to mac"

Old 01-29-2013, 06:27 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post

I didn't like the two finger right click, so I changed the bottom right corner of the touchpad to right click. It's more like a Windows PC that way.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:35 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times
Lost of tutorials in here:
Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics

Old 04-03-2013, 09:10 AM

200 posts, read 241,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I didn't like the two finger right click, so I changed the bottom right corner of the touchpad to right click. It's more like a Windows PC that way.
Hey dkf747, I know transitioning from one environment to another is never easy. But I would urge you to approach OS X as natively as possible without trying to map Windows habits/workflows/patterns over. There are things that Windows does well and things that work well in Windows...there are things that OS X does well and things that work well in OS X..but trying to make one be like the other is often a huge point of frustration for an end user because they are not the same and are designed from two different perspectives.

Even something as little as the two-finger click on the trackpad (really, any of the actions/gestures) ... these are the way they are because it allows you to be at any point on the trackpad and still have all of the functionality available to you. One or two finger scrolling can bring you from one side of the trackpad to the other and without having to move to any other place you can one finger click (mouse down/up), two finger click ("right" click), pinch zoom, two finger scroll (scroll page/document/navigate back-forward, etc), 3 finger gestures, four finger gestures, and so on. The beauty is you don't have to worry about where you are.

I know this one example may seem rather silly to point out, but there are many, many other things throughout OS X which as a group really make OS X what it is. And trying to make it more Windows like will just bring you to a place of frustration. In an effort to make things familiar, you'll be missing out on some of the very things that make the switch worth it.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:14 AM

200 posts, read 241,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
I bought a MacBook 2 weeks ago. I know Windows/PC like the back of my hand but I'm having trouble with some of the features of Mountain Lion like copy, paste, print etc. Is there any cool Youtube videos or online videos I can use to help me learn faster? I signed up for a Mountain Lion and starting MacBook workshop but they are 3 weeks away.
Hi Singlelady10 ... how did the classes go?

Old 04-03-2013, 06:36 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgorneau View Post
Hey dkf747, I know transitioning from one environment to another is never easy. But I would urge you to approach OS X as natively as possible without trying to map Windows habits/workflows/patterns over. There are things that Windows does well and things that work well in Windows...there are things that OS X does well and things that work well in OS X..but trying to make one be like the other is often a huge point of frustration for an end user because they are not the same and are designed from two different perspectives.

Even something as little as the two-finger click on the trackpad (really, any of the actions/gestures) ... these are the way they are because it allows you to be at any point on the trackpad and still have all of the functionality available to you. One or two finger scrolling can bring you from one side of the trackpad to the other and without having to move to any other place you can one finger click (mouse down/up), two finger click ("right" click), pinch zoom, two finger scroll (scroll page/document/navigate back-forward, etc), 3 finger gestures, four finger gestures, and so on. The beauty is you don't have to worry about where you are.

I know this one example may seem rather silly to point out, but there are many, many other things throughout OS X which as a group really make OS X what it is. And trying to make it more Windows like will just bring you to a place of frustration. In an effort to make things familiar, you'll be missing out on some of the very things that make the switch worth it.
I like it the way it is. I just don't like the two finger tap. I have all of the other gestures on and I don't think I'm missing much. The only thing I'm still learning is keyboard shortcuts. I use those often in Windows and i'm learning OSX shortcuts everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers