Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:07 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,887,841 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just got a new PC and I am a bit confused. I have a gaming headset and when I plug it into my PC, I can hear just fine. However, I realized that my sound was also coming through the speakers as well. My speakers are set for default, and when I set my headset to the communications default.. I am left with sound only coming through my speakers. When I change my settings to make the headset the default, it'll play through the speakers as it's told, but once the headset is unplugged there is no longer sound coming from the speakers.

When I don't have the headset plugged in, I want sound from my speakers.
When I have my headset plugged in, I want my sound to go ONLY there.

What can I do?
I just purchased a new PC and this wasn't a problem. The speakers aren't new, nor is the headset.. so they are def working correctly. The sound card is Realtek.. (thats all I can tell from that.. its nothing fancy)

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 12:48 AM

After some tweaking, I made some progress.. here is where I left off. i NEED to go to bed!!
In the realtek audio sound manager, I had set my headset to be the default. I was able to click on the icon matching the front and back of my tower, and it confirmed "what's there". My headset (with mic) is plugged into the front. My speaker (it is analog, not digital) is in one spot in the back.

Here's what's going on now.
If I unplug the speaker line, (as I have the sound manager up) it quickly updates and shows that the speakers are not plugged in. It doesn't do this with the headset. I have tried countess times to put on a youtube video, listen to the sound..and unplug my headset... and it's still showing that it's playing through the headset, and not just going to default to the speakers.

I don't know what kind of info you guys need, but I'd be glad to provide it to you. I have a feeling it's just ... something basic and simple I am missing.

Everything is up to date. That was my first assumption.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:35 AM

I have seen posts like this on yahoo answers, as well as other "ask" sites...and they don't get any responses. I really hope this is not some far fetched crazy question.

Let me know in some other info, and hooooooooope someone can offer some kind of idea of what's going on.
I do have Windows 7 64 bit.
My mobo is asrock pro 3, the sound is realtek
my speakers are stock dell speakers from a previous PC (they are analog)
My headset is the Corsair HS1 analog. It's NOT the USB.
As stated before, all of my drivers are indeed up to date.

Sound comes in speaker and headset.
Set headset to default, only get sound to headset even when the headset is not plugged in.

I feel that there HAS to be some kind of option I am missing or have changed in the Realtek HD Sound manager.

Thanks so much. Sorry for only replying to my post. Just a little on edge about these stupid quirky problems.
In the meantime, I can just.. turn the speaker off, or manually change the headset to default when I am using it. I shouldn't have to, though. (I actually didn't try turning the speaker off, I wonder if that'll prevent sound to go to the headset too..ah, rats, Im at work..i wanna try this!!)

Old 02-22-2012, 08:42 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,622,468 times
I always have the hardest time getting audio through my speakers when i plug in my headset to use vent

Old 02-22-2012, 10:12 AM

It's weird. My old not so awsome PC had no troubles. Sure there was some lag, and sometimes it would lag really bad that the sound would come out of the speakers (USUALLY only when it lagged on vent with people speaking)

But this is just.. ugh. It honestly feels like there is just SOME box checked, or not checked. These things kill me. I really only got 3 1/2 hours sleep last night..im at work now, obsessing over this silly detail.

BTW, when you plug your headset to use vent.. why do you want vent to come through to the speakers???

Old 02-22-2012, 10:22 AM

No i want chat to come through the headphones but i want the game im playing to come through the speakers.. When im in vent and playing BF3 the voice cuts out the game sounds so i cant really hear what im doing, like if someone is shooting at me and someone starts talking in chat it cuts off the game sound

Old 02-22-2012, 01:09 PM

So how do you end up doing that? I didn't even know my speakers were on until my BF came home and heard the game + everyone speaking on vent..lol

Old 02-22-2012, 03:03 PM

I just plug in the headset and it happens, i duno. I can never figure out how to fix it. I figured it out once and then i got a new pc and the same problem started all over again

Old 02-23-2012, 11:22 AM

8,221 posts, read 13,299,623 times
Device selected on the "Recording" tab is for microphone, no output signal goes to that device unless the same device selected under "Playback".
I also notice only USB device "respect" this flexibility, analog devices are either all the way in or out completely but typically USB speakers/headphones have precedence over analog devices.
Currently, I am only using USB speakers and headphones, much better. Realtek (integrated audio card) kept becoming the "recording" device of choice for Google Voice time-to-time which would mess up my phone calls since I was using USB headphones/micro. Permanent solution was to disable Realtek in Device Manager.
Of course there is a more civilized alternative:

Also what device (in Win 7) is selected as "default" makes a big difference. WindowsXP had a related option box which 7 doesn't use, called "User only default devices", unchecking that option box might provide more flexibility with switching devices on the fly.
Either way, it is a crap shoot -at least- half the time .

Old 09-24-2012, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 55,393 times
I plugged my ear phones into my laptop and i can hear the sound how do i fix this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers