Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 06:49 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times

Advertisements

We recently switched over from cable to DSL for our internet. We have also acquired a second PC and I would like to network the computers. Right now we have the second computer plugged into the DSL modem via an Ethernet cable. Is it possible to link them through just the phone line without a direct line to the modem? We have the DSL filters on each phone outlet. Could I plug in the computer to that and have it work?

We have what I THINK is a hub in our basement, can I hook the modem to that and be able to use whatever phone outlet I want? I am trying to avoid having these wires running all over the house.

Thanks from a total NON techie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 07:36 AM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,920,896 times
Hey - First I would recommend buying a router/firewall - they would secure you from connecting directly to the modem. However if you do have a hub this is how it would work.

The modem will have two jacks the phone jack which is the Internet service and an Ethernet cable (RJ45) which connects your PC to the Internet. The phone jack will always stay connected to the modem and a wall jack. It might also have a USB port. I think if you can use any phone jack in the house for DSL then the modem can be placed anywhere a phone jack is not sure.

The hub should have one Ethernet jack that might actually say "Internet or WAN port" - then the other ports let's say it has four; will probably all be closer together so it might be easy to identify that way as well. Some hubs designate port one for the WAN port all depends.

So from the modem plug the Ethernet cable into the WAN or Internet port
Then plug an Ethernet cable from each computer into an open jack on the hub. Then both computers will be able to connect to the Internet.

Most routers today are fairly easy to install, just make sure your read reviews on ease of use. They will give you another line of defense and shield your internal PC's from being connected to directly, from malicious hackers etc. A hub is better than being connected to the modem directly, but not too secure.

Also you can get a good router for under a hundred bucks and as low as 20. Get a wireless router so you can put the PCs anywhere to avoid cables being run. You can get a wireless card for a standalone PC just as easy as a laptop. I got a USB card recently for a PC for 15 bucks recently and works great.

Last edited by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines; 09-09-2007 at 08:03 AM..

Old 09-09-2007, 09:44 AM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,864 times
Quote:
We recently switched over from cable to DSL for our internet. We have also acquired a second PC and I would like to network the computers. Right now we have the second computer plugged into the DSL modem via an Ethernet cable. Is it possible to link them through just the phone line without a direct line to the modem? We have the DSL filters on each phone outlet. Could I plug in the computer to that and have it work?

We have what I THINK is a hub in our basement, can I hook the modem to that and be able to use whatever phone outlet I want? I am trying to avoid having these wires running all over the house.
Non techie answer...your modem has ONE plug. It makes the outlet plugged into that modem capable of handling dsl but not any other outlets in the house so no, you can't just plug in and get dsl from any other outlet the way you are thinking.

Now, to get dsl from that modem to another computer, you need what is called a router. Not a hub. A hub extends the ability of a router but you need the router first.

Once you have the router, you need to follow the directions on the router but the basic ones are: you install the software on the computer that will control the router. Then unplug the modem from that computer, plug the router into the modem, plug the computer into the router (there are more steps, these are JUST the basic ideas) and then plug in the other computer to the router.

IF you get a wireless router and your computer has wireless capability, you can avoid the wires but MAKE sure you secure your wireless network.

For more info, read this: How Home Networking Works Liz

Old 09-09-2007, 09:47 AM

I have actually connected from the modem directly to a hub without a router no problem...

Old 09-09-2007, 09:58 AM

The problem with that, is you can not secure the network. Liz

Old 09-09-2007, 10:13 AM

absolutely -

Old 09-09-2007, 12:33 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
The DSL Modem is a wireless router/modem with 4 Ethernet connections plus the main connection. I was hoping there was some way to make all of the phone jacks work as a connection to the internet but I guess not. I am pretty sure the hub thing in the basement is a direct hook-up to two specific DSL outlets in the house now that I look at it more carefully. I think I can hook up the modem to that and make those outlets live, however, they aren't in the rooms I want the computers in.

My computer, a PC, has an option for 'set up a wireless network' does that mean I can run the PC as a wireless addition to the network or are the wireless options just for laptops?

Old 09-09-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
My computer, a PC, has an option for 'set up a wireless network' does that mean I can run the PC as a wireless addition to the network or are the wireless options just for laptops?
No, if your desktop has the wireless option, it may also run wireless.

Quote:
I am pretty sure the hub thing in the basement is a direct hook-up to two specific DSL outlets in the house now that I look at it more carefully. I think I can hook up the modem to that and make those outlets live, however, they aren't in the rooms I want the computers in.
If you go wireless, please do NOT use the hub. You will be allowing everyone in the neighborhood access to your computer. Please get a true router to encrypt the router so no one other than the computers in your house can access the network. Liz

Old 09-09-2007, 02:21 PM

Just a thought - if it is a wireless router modem then it would take another step to connect yet another router to talk to the wireless router modem. Also you cannot hook the PCs to the phone jack even if there is a phone jack for a 56k modem in the PC. The modem converts the phone signal into teh Interweb.

I had service like that at one point - not impossible but the main router would hold the outside IP and the new more secure router would need some configuration to the other router. Perhaps just a firewall applicance between the wireless router modem to the inside PC's for security like a SOHO firebox?

I have 2 Dlink wireless USB thingys that goes into any USB port on a standalone PC and connect to my wireless router/firewall no problem - works great for the PC in the basement and garage.

However - my nearest neighbor is not close - although I am learning to secure it more if people are within a short distance then security is of a major concern.

So if you are going through the wireless router modem thingy from your provider? Then only one wireless card or USB device for the other PC would be necessary if you want connectivity in two or more rooms.

If the house is easy to snake a wire through then a good wire guy can put permanent RJ45 connections to each room in your existing phone and or cable jacks termination. Better for security and connection speed as well.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:08 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,543,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The DSL Modem is a wireless router/modem with 4 Ethernet connections plus the main connection. I was hoping there was some way to make all of the phone jacks work as a connection to the internet but I guess not. I am pretty sure the hub thing in the basement is a direct hook-up to two specific DSL outlets in the house now that I look at it more carefully. I think I can hook up the modem to that and make those outlets live, however, they aren't in the rooms I want the computers in.

Golfgal if I am reading you correctly (and forgive me if I'm not) you have two (or more) computers that are possibly in different locations of the house. You have one computer near the DSL modem/router and the other somewhere else near a phone line? Or maybe both aren't near the modem/router as you mentioned it may be in the basement. Either case, I would recommend Ethernet over Power lines technology.

Essentially you use the wiring in your home as your "computer network". It sounds a little scary but it's really not. I was helping a friend a couple years back who had wireless and he had all sorts of issues with it. It would cut out while making a phone call (b/c of interference from other wireless devices like a phone), he constantly ended up on his neighbors network, etc. Very frustrating. Granted, wireless has improved a lot since then but if you want absolute simplicity and no issues with 100% security Ethernet over Power is a good choice.

You can check ou this CNET page on it:

Why - Setup a power-line network - Home office - CNET.com Digital Home - CNET.com

I installed it for him and his problems connectivity went to zero.

Hope that helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers