Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 01:04 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times

Advertisements

In the past two days i been having a issue with the D button on my keyboard and wanted to know how much would be charged to repair this issue. Not sure why this happened all of a sudden but it makes it hard for me to chat since I have to keep stopping due to the D button issue.

The problem I'm facing now is would it be one day service because I don't have another computer to use while it's being worked on. Looks like I need to make a purchase for a newer computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 01:08 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
I don't know about cost... but (assuming it's a laptop) I doubt it would be a one-day service. Computer repair stores don't keep keyboards of every make and model on hand. They would likely have to order a replacement and wait for it to come in.

It may not be hard to replace your own keyboard. Many laptops make it a customer-replaceable part.

If it's not a laptop, just go out and buy another keyboard, lol.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't know about cost... but (assuming it's a laptop) I doubt it would be a one-day service. Computer repair stores don't keep keyboards of every make and model on hand. They would likely have to order a replacement and wait for it to come in.

It may not be hard to replace your own keyboard. Many laptops make it a customer-replaceable part.

If it's not a laptop, just go out and buy another keyboard, lol.

It's a Dell laptop. But I do have to look into getting another computer while I have no job because I need backup just in case something was to happen because i would have to continue my job search. I have back up for the TV and now need to do the same for the Laptop

Old 03-12-2012, 01:21 PM

For now, it might be good to attach a regular keyboard to your laptop until you land a job. Once you land a job, pick up a new computer. Don't put any money into this one.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
For now, it might be good to attach a regular keyboard to your laptop until you land a job. Once you land a job, pick up a new computer. Don't put any money into this one.
What do you mean by attach a regular keyboard? Where would I get that?

Old 03-12-2012, 02:14 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,179 times
Use a regular USB keyboard for your laptop while you order / get a Dell laptop keyboard from ebay. I think I saw keyboards for my Dell E1705 being sold on ebay.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:40 PM

8,311 posts, read 13,444,568 times
First, with the lid wide open, turn the laptop upside down and give it the "new born baby" treatment by gently tapping on its bottom. when it starts crying, you can stop. Just kidding, just gently tap on it and also shake it like you mean it and hopefully that will release/remove any crap that might be in there. Even when using compressed air, I still turn the laptop/keyboard upside down. Also, tapping on the keys would help too while still upside down.

Worst case scenario, op the bloody D key off and then using a Q-tip lightly soak with alcohol, clean around that key, then use compressed air to dry it and also remove any dirt/dust that might be lodged in there. Put the key back in and test.

Short term workaround? Try using the onscreen keyboard:
START > RUN > osk > OK

Old 03-12-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
What do you mean by attach a regular keyboard? Where would I get that?
You can pick up a desktop USB keyboard and plug it into your laptop. It can most likely be found for under $10.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
You can pick up a desktop USB keyboard and plug it into your laptop. It can most likely be found for under $10.
From ebay?

Old 03-12-2012, 02:50 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
From ebay?
or Big Lots. or WalMart. or Target. or (as a last resort) at Best Buy.
or anywhere electronics are sold.

BTW, you don't buy anything from ebay. You might buy through ebay, buy you are buying from an ebay seller, not from ebay.

Last edited by mensaguy; 03-12-2012 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: added last line
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers