Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 05:00 PM

3,521 posts, read 6,515,670 times

Advertisements

My Firefox 7 was crashing sometimes when I went to Yahoo Mail, and it has flash ads. So I just upgraded Firefox and also added Adblockplus.

Is there a way to tell Adblockplus to block ads ONLY on Yahoo Mail and that's it? I was using it and it gives you subscription lists. I wasn't sure if there's a way to say only block ads on a very few sites.

I was also hoping I could use Adblockplus without it updating the filter lists.

I'm not sure if the flash ads were causing the Firefox crash - I use Yahoo Mail all the time and it's usually fine but today it crashed twice, an hour apart. It gave me an ApphangB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 05:20 PM

Oops, I just saw in Firefox's addons pages, you can selected automatic updates for AdBlockPlus.

I would still like to know how to whitelist just a few sites - with me it might be just Yahoo Mail, imdb - I clicked the option to show placeholders when an ad is blocked - sometimes no placeholders show up, even though the ad was blocked. This is in Yahoo Mail when you click on one email.

It's possible that the Firefox upgrade alone will stop the hanging when I use Yahoo Mail - I can't tell yet.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:25 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,185,465 times
Safely whitelist your favorite sites and opt out of tracking (updated rules)

Adblock Plus going to a default whitelist for some ads - Security | DSLReports Forums

BTW, been using adblock plus with FF, no problems but then again I refuse to touch Yahoo....

Old 03-20-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
That's the opposite of what I was asking; however, I'm going to stop using AdBlockPlus and see if the Yahoo problems go away because I upgraded Firefox.

In case you're wondering, yes, I use Gmail also, but I haven't fully crossed over.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:19 PM

8,296 posts, read 13,425,762 times
I have never encountered Adblock Plus interfering with Yahoo/Yahoo Mail but NoScript can and has in my situation. I was trying to disable their stupid in-browser Messenger that would pop-up from spammers, when I did disable the related script (yimg.com), it would also stop displaying emails.
I worked around it by blocking the messages through Options > Messenger Options > Privacy which resolved the issue.

Since you already know how to get to the settings, just make sure they are not configured too aggressively like the screenshot below (also if you have any custom filters, that might do it too):

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 03-21-2012 at 01:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers